Champions Trophy, 2017

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Champions Trophy, 2017

Post by prasen9 »

That's right. I had forgotten about Bumrah. Bumrah will possibly replace Shami.

Umesh "doing well". lol. He has been one of the worst ODI bowlers to ever play for India. He is lucky to be in the ODI side. He is 29 years old and his runs/over is over *6* in his career with an average of 33.65. He has gotten 64 matches! I do not recall any other bowler who does nothing with the bat but played over 60 matches and gave away more than 6 runs/over. The only justification is that maybe going by his test form and above-average bowling in the IPL, we think Umesh has improved. That is up to the team managers to make the call by seeing them in the nets. However, he still cannot bowl that well in the end overs.

I would take Bumrah in the team.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

Umesh is one of Kohli's "achievements" as a test captain. I can see him playing. His record under Kohli in ODIs is decent.

*MS Dhoni 2011-2016 45 45 35.41@6.08
*V Kohli 2013-2017 8 8 23.73@5.83

That said, our batting is dismal and I go into this tournament with no expectations.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

8 ODIs is a very small sample size. So, it is possibly a flash in the pan. His runs/over is still 5.83, quite high. The only reason to play him is because he seems to have turned a corner in the last year or two and become slightly less erratic and gets wickets a bit more. If the selectors see him bowl well consistently at the nets, then I may risk him. Bhuvi-Bumrah seems to be the safe choice with Hardik as the 3rd pacer/allrounder.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Indian bowling showing its might in the warm up match by bowling out NZ for 189.

Batting unsurprisingly off colour so far though Kohli looks sharp. Hoping that Dhawan can scratch around long enough to recover some form, he is an ICC event giant after all.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Why is Dhoni trying to walk toward the off stump every time like Steve Smith? He looks clownish trying to do so every ball. Never seen him do this before.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

We r giving catching practice to New Zealanders but they r fumbling.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Outside of Kohli (and Rahul who is injured), it is a poor ODI batting lineup.

Karthik again showing why he is not international quality at all in his 9 ball duck.
Abish arul

Post by Abish arul »

our batting looks so weak with so much outdated players like dhawan yuvraj Dhoni hopefully atleast we can win against Pakistan.rohit mental midget sharma hasn't even reached to England for attending his cousins marriage isn't he should be the one who should be playing these warmup games after post injury and lean ipl.who the heck selected tired tested failure dinesh karthik suresh raina deserved that place.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Shami was Shami again. So, it seems like Shami may come in instead of Hardik. Given that we have Jadeja, Ashwin, and Bhuvi who can bat. Hardik's value is in his hard hitting.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

India seem to be playing a test match over the last ten or so.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Now in T20 mode. :D
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Great job by Yuvi and Kohli in the end, helped by some lusty hitting by Hardik in the last over. It was comical to see the Pak left-arm pacers' calves cave into the pressure one after the other!

Rohit was terrible, and he bogged Kohli down too. But then Wahab Riaz came to the rescue with a no-ball that would also have been wide, but Kohli reached out and smoked it to the third-man boundary. Then it was four more off the free-hit ball (over mid wicket), a six over long-on, and then it was off to the races.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I'm very surprised that Shami has been left out of the XI. I thought he should've been picked ahead of Umesh.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

The only explanation could be that Shami is not that match fit and Umesh is in form. Kohli said in the post-match comments that he felt that it was important for Rohit to get some international runs under his belt. Internationals are different from domestics (IPL). In the next few matches, he hopes Rohit will "express" himself. Basically, he realizes that Rohit was too slow. He needs to improve.

Yuvraj turned it around and Hardik played well at the end. Kohli held it together and got some runs at a respectable SR. But, I think the difference was Yuvraj. Kohli accepted it too. He said that Yuvraj's hitting made him feel like a club cricketer when he was struggling to hit but Yuvraj was doing it with elan.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Was this India's first victory in Champions Trophy against Pakistan? Anyone remember any other victory? I do not.

Of course in the World Cups (ODIs and T20Is), we have not lost a match to Pak.