Virat Kohli Thread

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Observer
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Virat Kohli Thread

Post by Observer »

We definitely need this :)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Re: Virat Kohli Thread

Post by jayakris »

Really? Do we need the thread? Only SRT has had a thread here while he was an active player (right?)... Even that was to infamously ask him to retire! Gavaskar, Ganguly, Kumble and Dravid (all after retirement) have had threads, that I remember. And Muralitharan too. Not even Dhoni has had a thread here, probably. Getting a thread in our cricket forum, with curmudgeon anti-cricket fellows like me around, is probably the greatest honor any of these cricketers can aspire for, in other words. Is it fair to start a thread on Kohli now? What does everybody think? :-)
Varma
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Varma »

Cricket is a team sport. It doesn't make sense to have a separate thread for players when we barely have anything specific to discuss about them. All individual statistics are well documented in CricInfo and a few other sites anyway. Rahul Dravid's thread has 3 pages, and Kumble's - a mere 11 posts. Tendulkar's was more of an exception where the discussion surrounded mostly around his retirement. It doesn't make sense to have one more player thread, unless we want to gossip about his private life :D. BTW, we already have a "Virat Kohli thread" that was created by PKB on 24-July-2013 which garnered just about 9 posts in 3 and half years with no posts since Apr-01-2015. I think that sums it all up :D.

- Varma
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Let's gossip about his private life.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Bin this abomination.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

The greatest ODI batsman of all time deserves a thread of his own.
Plus he is now undoubtedly the world's best batsman in all three formats (for the past 15 months).
So, if any cricketer deserves a thread here it is Virat Kohli.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

So does Ashwin now deserve his own thread too?
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Probably does, as a pure test bowler who was the fastest to 250 wickets among all those who have ever played test cricket (after being the second fastest to 200 wickets). If you feel strongly about him, nothing should stop you from starting a thread... :-)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

No threads, please. If somebody gets to be as big as SRT, a thread can be allowed to ask for his retirement at some point prematurely. Otherwise, the forum's tradition of not doing threads for individual players should continue, in my humble opinion. If Observer is asking for Kohli's retirement, I am fine with this thread, as there is precedence for it :-)
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Kohli is a better batsman than SRT in all forms of the game now (although yet to prove himself in tests in England). And he is an infinitely better captain. A phenom who deserves a thread because he is simply in a different league as a batsman now. Jay, watch the guy play some time. When all the other batsmen are plodding and struggling, he strides in and simply collars the ball. Breathtaking to watch!
Observer

Post by Observer »

I tried to find a thread on VK but it didnt come up in the first 2 pages of search results so i assumed there wasn't one. I accept my mistake!
PKBasu wrote:The greatest ODI batsman of all time deserves a thread of his own.
That would be SRT or Viv Richards. The game of cricket evolves substantially in every generation so I dont think the averages are directly comparable across generations. Im a massive fan of VK but its too early to call him the greatest.
Varma wrote:Cricket is a team sport. It doesn't make sense to have a separate thread for players when we barely have anything specific to discuss about them
Why this(or PKB's original thread) is relevant:
IMHO the most interesting part of an individual player thread is the chance to discuss the journey of that player. I like to think of sports as a faster condensed simulation of life. VK has had among the most interesting journey's. He began as a guy who was above average at best, erratic in displaying emotions and nobody could have guessed that he would grow up to be the VK of today. He has managed to channelize all his energies and achieved this unreal level he is at today. His confidence, fitness, skill, leadership style are all extremely admirable. Thats a great story to discuss.
jayakris wrote:Getting a thread in our cricket forum, with curmudgeon anti-cricket fellows like me around, is probably the greatest honor any of these cricketers can aspire for, in other words
The anti-cricket subculture in the forum seems misdirected to me. I can think of the following reasons for it:
- The imperial complex which makes us Indians consider the sport inferior because India has managed to ace it. We have among the best infra, culture and finances for cricket so it seems only natural to me for India to be doing so well.
- "Its not as athletic a sport as Tennis" - By that logic we should only respect sports like gymnastics, MMA, Basketball(Crossfit maybe?) which require much more athleticism than tennis.
We could discuss this more but it would be offtopic so I wouldnt go there.
Sin Hombre wrote:Bin this abomination.
We should definitely bin one of the 2 VK threads :)
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

We need a Steven Smith thread. The greatest batsman with over 50 tests after Bradman :p

We need a De Villiers thread. The greatest ODI batsman.
Observer

Post by Observer »

prasen9 wrote:We need a Steven Smith thread. The greatest batsman with over 50 tests after Bradman

We need a De Villiers thread. The greatest ODI batsman.
They are not indian :)
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Um - sports INDIA Prasen? Unless we are conferring honorary citizenship on Smith & de Villiers...

:D
Observer

Post by Observer »

prasen9 wrote:The greatest batsman with over 50 tests after Bradman
That would be Herbert Sutcliffe :)
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/wi/conten ... 82910.html