Test series 2016 (in WI; then hosting, BD, NZ, England)

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Test series 2016 (in WI; then hosting, BD, NZ, England)

Post by PKBasu »

Nair, Vijay, Ashwin, Jadeja and Mishra need to notch up another 240 runs by tea (implying a lead of 160 or so) if we are to try and enforce a result. The moisture in the pitch caused by the cyclone made this a highly unusual Chepauk wicket. There is turn, but it is slow turn. But as with any pitch, wear and tear will help a skilful spinner, and we have 2 in the side (possibly a 3rd on that kind of pitch too).

3 of our batsmen got out to very poor, wide deliveries. The worst of the balls was the one that got Rahul out on 199. Superb innings by him nonetheless. Kohli and Pujara just gave in to hubris.
karr

Post by karr »

I was at the the MA Chidambaram stadium for the first 3 days and it was plentiful fun, despite our bowlers having to toil on Days one and two. I was there along with my Dad and my 10 yr old son. This was the first time my son had been to any Cricket Stadium and he was super thrilled. This year, he had seen the Sounders, the Seahawks, even the Seattle Storm live, but hey, how do you compare any of that to seeing a five day test match live? Its just a pity that he couldn’t come for day 3 to see a gem of an inning from Rahul.

This was my first visit to the MAC as well (shame on me despite Madras being my hometown till I left to the US after my BE). There were the usual hawkers at the entrance to the stadium, which added to the festive atmosphere. We helped ourselves to Cricket hats and a Virat #18, which clearly was the most popular one – surprising that I didn’t see an Ashwin jersey. The TNCA has gotten a few things right. There are a ton of gates and you can only enter via your assigned gate, so that automatically limits the queue lengths at each gate. What wasn’t great was just how much it stank all around the stadium – its so disheartening to still see people relieving themselves in the open. And the Cooum remains the Cooum. Things brightened up once inside the stadium. There’s an arm of volunteers and they were courteous and helpful. We had cheap tickets for the H Stand upper tier. Our seats were at the bottom of the upper tier, where there wasn’t as much shade in the morning, but the volunteers were happy to guide me up and politely told me to vacate whatever seat we chose to sit in if the occupants arrived. No one seems to be particular about sitting in their assigned seats – folks moved around all day to seats where they were most comfortable, either with the views or the sun. The seats were comfortable and the stands clean. And I won’t complain – how on earth can you even get a 5 day ticket for Rs 200 anywhere else in the world? The Seahawks tickets for example were several orders of magnitude different  The food options were reasonable, but my Dad complained that the sodas at Rs 50/ was daylight robbery. I was too chicken to test the toilets, but my Dad seemed ok with them. I was particularly pleased with the army of policemen and policewomen. So many young and helpful constables and it was fantastic to see as many women cops as there were.

A final word on the Chennai stadium crowd. Ok start for Friday, picked up on Saturday, and almost brimming on Sunday. There was a huge turnout by the Barmy army, alteast in the H stand. For a guy so used to the American stadium experience, where cheering your team and jeering your opponents is a given, the Chennai crowd was appallingly fair. They say that the Seattle crowds are a touch more benevolent – I can’t imagine what Phily might look like then. But boy, I am sure an avg American spectator would think he would have landed in Mars had they been at Chepauk. Make no mistake – the roars when Kohli arrived OR even when Vijay arrived were deafening. But there was a big cheer for something as simple as a gallant dive by an English fielder to stop by a 4. They cheered England’s 100, 200 and 300! They for sure jeered Root when he threw a sharp one back at the bastman, but also cheered everyone at the boundary and stood up to applaud Moen’s milestone! I guess, an American will never quite understand this dynamic. I am personally ok with it – afterall this is a Cricket test match! I have to assume that the same Chennai crowds won’t be as sporting when it comes to the IPL.

I am taking a break for Day 4, but surely intend to be back at the stands tomorrow if the match becomes interesting.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Thanks for that commentary about being at the ground, karr. The Chepauk crowds are the rare ones (Mumbai and, to a lesser extent, Kolkata being the others) which are still sporting re cheering the achievements of the other side. The crowds at Chepauk this time have still been rather thin -- there are some sunny stands that have been empty all match! In the old days (20-30 years ago), the stands used to be full for every test, and THAT was a truly deafening and unforgettable experience. (One only gets that with ODIs and T20Is, plus the abominable IPL, now). But delightful to read about three generations of your family enjoying test cricket together. Brings back memories of 1972-73, 1974-75 and 1976-77 at the Eden Gardens with my dad/mom and maternal grandfather (Dadubhai), who really showed me what a true sports spectator is supposed to be -- with witty remarks, lusty cheering, and of course acknowledging the good cricket of anyone playing it in the grand arena (while being deeply knowledgeable about the history of every test played at the ground, and every aspect of cricketing lore).
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Pre-lunch session was slow. But good to see Nair and Ashwin add 60 runs in the first hour after lunch. Need to press on and build a good lead over the next 2 hours, before declaring. Karun Nair is batting fluently now.

Vijay is an odd character, who seems to have off days at the crease every so often. Today was certainly one of those. He was actually caught behind at 22 (but England had run out of reviews), but he still didn't last much longer after the umpire reprieved him.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Karun Nair ends on 303* emulating Sobers and Bobby Simpson, who both converted their maiden test century into triple centuries. The declaration was delayed to enable him to get the milestone, but this was a deserved delay, given his spectacular batting in the final session, hitting well over 100 runs in the session at a strike rate of over 140.
But it's now highly unlikely that this test will yield a result.

The crowds did build up quite nicely in the post-tea session, and they were thoroughly entertained by Karun Nair.
Ram

Post by Ram »

karr wrote:I was at the the MA Chidambaram stadium for the first 3 days and it was plentiful fun, despite our bowlers having to toil on Days one and two. I was there along with my Dad and my 10 yr old son. This was the first time my son had been to any Cricket Stadium and he was super thrilled. This year, he had seen the Sounders, the Seahawks, even the Seattle Storm live, but hey, how do you compare any of that to seeing a five day test match live? Its just a pity that he couldn’t come for day 3 to see a gem of an inning from Rahul.

This was my first visit to the MAC as well (shame on me despite Madras being my hometown till I left to the US after my BE). There were the usual hawkers at the entrance to the stadium, which added to the festive atmosphere. We helped ourselves to Cricket hats and a Virat #18, which clearly was the most popular one – surprising that I didn’t see an Ashwin jersey. The TNCA has gotten a few things right. There are a ton of gates and you can only enter via your assigned gate, so that automatically limits the queue lengths at each gate. What wasn’t great was just how much it stank all around the stadium – its so disheartening to still see people relieving themselves in the open. And the Cooum remains the Cooum. Things brightened up once inside the stadium. There’s an arm of volunteers and they were courteous and helpful. We had cheap tickets for the H Stand upper tier. Our seats were at the bottom of the upper tier, where there wasn’t as much shade in the morning, but the volunteers were happy to guide me up and politely told me to vacate whatever seat we chose to sit in if the occupants arrived. No one seems to be particular about sitting in their assigned seats – folks moved around all day to seats where they were most comfortable, either with the views or the sun. The seats were comfortable and the stands clean. And I won’t complain – how on earth can you even get a 5 day ticket for Rs 200 anywhere else in the world? The Seahawks tickets for example were several orders of magnitude different  The food options were reasonable, but my Dad complained that the sodas at Rs 50/ was daylight robbery. I was too chicken to test the toilets, but my Dad seemed ok with them. I was particularly pleased with the army of policemen and policewomen. So many young and helpful constables and it was fantastic to see as many women cops as there were.

A final word on the Chennai stadium crowd. Ok start for Friday, picked up on Saturday, and almost brimming on Sunday. There was a huge turnout by the Barmy army, alteast in the H stand. For a guy so used to the American stadium experience, where cheering your team and jeering your opponents is a given, the Chennai crowd was appallingly fair. They say that the Seattle crowds are a touch more benevolent – I can’t imagine what Phily might look like then. But boy, I am sure an avg American spectator would think he would have landed in Mars had they been at Chepauk. Make no mistake – the roars when Kohli arrived OR even when Vijay arrived were deafening. But there was a big cheer for something as simple as a gallant dive by an English fielder to stop by a 4. They cheered England’s 100, 200 and 300! They for sure jeered Root when he threw a sharp one back at the bastman, but also cheered everyone at the boundary and stood up to applaud Moen’s milestone! I guess, an American will never quite understand this dynamic. I am personally ok with it – afterall this is a Cricket test match! I have to assume that the same Chennai crowds won’t be as sporting when it comes to the IPL.

I am taking a break for Day 4, but surely intend to be back at the stands tomorrow if the match becomes interesting.
Thanks Karr for the details. Brought back emotional memories of my Dad who used to sleep in the platform the previous night to be in the top 50 spectators to get in the next morning in D stand. He had a team of 30-40 people. Some stayed overnight to get vantage positions behind the stumps, The next batch used to take breakfast for the night group and the last one used to take lunch for all. My mom being the chief cook at home despatching all this. After the match they will rotate responsibility, night show in one of the Mount Road theaters and sleep in the platform again :-) Everyone in D stand was an expert and it was always fun to immerse in that cricket frenzy atmosphere. hmmm
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

And here I thought that this Indian cricket team had taken personal milestones out of its system per its captain. Ha!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I agree, Atithee, but I will reserve judgement on Kohli's decision until the end of the match tomorrow.
Also it was slightly more justified given that the series has been won, the batsman was making his maiden test century, and he had really stepped up the scoring (which itself had created the possibility of victory). But I still think he should have declared when Nair was around 260 and the team had a lead close to 200.
Ram

Post by Ram »

Quite a a similarity this ... http://www.espncricinfo.com/ranji-troph ... 47305.html & http://www.espncricinfo.com/indian-dome ... 76183.html

In a Ranji final , Rahul just misses a double ton & Karun gets a triple !!! History repeats :-)
prashanthm
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by prashanthm »

Good digging Ram! :D

And most importantly, they won that match.... Hopefully India will be able to win theirs too.... :goodluck:
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

As happy as I am for Karun, I will be annoyed if they don't force a win...
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

There is ZERO justification for batting that long. In light of the personal milestones jibe, even less. Win or not because it makes winning that much unlikely. If Karun can bat in that fashion, let him demonstrate that in the possibly improbable chase that could have resulted.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Can't believe some are saying that Nair should be dropped to make way for others. Possession is 9/10 of the law and the guy in possession has just scored a triple century so others have to take a seat and try not to get injured next time.

Interesting to read some of the above comments about declaring etc. He is the 2nd Indian ever to score a triple century. Wonder if people would be saying the same if a more "fashionable" player had done what Nair has done.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

The dude has the same family name as me (Nair) and is from the same place where I am from. Chengannur, Kerala. Who woulda thunk!

Great men come from great places, eh? :)
Varma

Post by Varma »

Is this the first time I am reading Jay's post in this thread that does not contain the word, "bug"? :)

BTW...Congratulations to your region, Jay!

- Varma