Indian U19 Team thread ....

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

S_K_S
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Indian U19 Team thread ....

Post by S_K_S »

I am not kidding when I say that Mavi and Nagarkoti need to be in the starting 11 of the 1st team. Mavi is bowling 90mph and moving it in and away. This is not U19 bowling. Imagine Mavi in English conditions!
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Sin Hombre wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:00 am As I said in the other thread, Shubham Gill clearly looks like a better player than Prithvi Shaw who was getting a bit overrated over there.

Gill looks like our next Kohli-like all format player.
Shaw is a walking LBW in senior cricket because of the way he shuffles across.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

S_K_S wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:02 am I am not kidding when I say that Mavi and Nagarkoti need to be in the starting 11 of the 1st team. Mavi is bowling 90mph and moving it in and away. This is not U19 bowling. Imagine Mavi in English conditions!
I think their height will go against them in senior cricket. Pacers with a low release point are easier to track for batters at the highest level.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

As it happens sometimes it's Porel who gets the 3 wickets thanks to Mavi bottling up the other end
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

6'2" Bengali fast bowler bowling with disconcerting bounce? I don't think I have heard of such beasts. Shami is an import. The closest is Dinda. But he does not look that tall.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

prasen9 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:30 am 6'2" Bengali fast bowler bowling with disconcerting bounce? I don't think I have heard of such beasts. Shami is an import. The closest is Dinda. But he does not look that tall.
uh oh :D
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

:D What? I meant to say that I have seen tall fast bowlers from the rest of India but not any of skill with that height from Bengal. Ashok Dinda is 5" 3' :-) As it is we have not produced that many cricketers of international standard. So there are hardly any fast bowlers. Leave aside tall fast bowlers. The only other person I can think of is Subroto Banerjee, who was treated very shabbily by Azhar in Australia. I think dropped after taking 4 wickets and never played again, if I remember correctly. But he was from Patna and then played for Bengal, I think. So this is a surprising thing to me.

There was medium pacer Mantu Banerjee, who was before my times. He possibly played a few matches for India. And so did Shute Banerjee, who was possibly a medium pacer. Don't know how tall they were. PKB, being really old himself :p, probably knows more about these oldies.

I think the NCA at Bengaluru is doing good work. Thanks Dravid, et al.

Seems like we will win this match. I will be happy with any win over Australia. But, I would be elated if our pace bowlers blow away the Aussie bats again.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Another positive about Gill is that he is an excellent fielder so is Shaw in the slips.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Yes. That catch was excellent running back. This Sh(r)ubman is something with the bat, it seems. I just hope he is not overage :-) No reason to suspect he is. Just saying.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

prasen9 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:19 am :D What? I meant to say that I have seen tall fast bowlers from the rest of India but not any of skill with that height from Bengal. Ashok Dinda is 5" 3' :-) As it is we have not produced that many cricketers of international standard. So there are hardly any fast bowlers. Leave aside tall fast bowlers. The only other person I can think of is Subroto Banerjee, who was treated very shabbily by Azhar in Australia. I think dropped after taking 4 wickets and never played again, if I remember correctly. But he was from Patna and then played for Bengal, I think. So this is a surprising thing to me.

There was medium pacer Mantu Banerjee, who was before my times. He possibly played a few matches for India. And so did Shute Banerjee, who was possibly a medium pacer. Don't know how tall they were. PKB, being really old himself :p, probably knows more about these oldies.

I think the NCA at Bengaluru is doing good work. Thanks Dravid, et al.

Seems like we will win this match. I will be happy with any win over Australia. But, I would be elated if our pace bowlers blow away the Aussie bats again.
From what I have heard Shute Banerjee could swing the ball at pace but was given a raw deal by the selectors. Shute was also a decent batsman. Another good medium pacer from Bengal who played briefly under Pataudi was Subroto Guha. If you see old youtube videos of tests in the 60s, you can see him bowling. He had a nice smooth action.
prashanthm

Post by prashanthm »

Abhishek Sharma was another excellent slip fielder and had an excellent all-round perf against BD in the QF......
prashanthm

Post by prashanthm »

Dominating win against Pak in the SF... :clap:

Extremely consistent perf from Shubman with 50's in all 4 innings after the initial duck against SAF... :clap:
Let's see if he can do it one more time in the Final...... :goodluck:
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

203 run thrashing!
Ishan Porel had figures of 6-2-17-4. At the moment, he bowls at about 80mph (129kph) or slightly lower, but is able to generate good movement in the air and off the pitch. He hasn't got an IPL contract, unlike six of his team-mates here (which may be a boon in the long run!). prasen9 has forgotten Ranadeb Bose (a much taller fellow than Porel, who relied on prodigious outswing -- and once took a 5-for for India in a tour match in England but wasn't picked for the following test).
Nagarkoti is even faster than Mavi (according to the speed guns in NZ). He bowled a few over 91mph -- Wes Hall and Jeff Thomson pace! The Indian team used as many as 7 bowlers: apparently it is a team full of all-rounders.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

By the way, is Ishan Porel the son of Subroto Porel, international umpire and Bengal Ranji player?
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I thought about that too when he first emerged. But he isn't: Ishan's father Chandranath played Kabaddi for India.