Indian U19 Team thread ....

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Atithee

Re: Indian U19 Team thread ....

Post by Atithee »

I think it’s much easier to at least get a look for a bowler than batsman in Indian cricket. Whether they become a permanent one is another thing.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Sure. But, Sandeep Sharma is a bowler. He, actually, has been a star performer in the domestics. However, he does not find a place. I guess we value "pace" in our pacers and thus, he does not get in. In fact, Bhuvi does not get in despite his good record and batting prowess.

The other fact is that the batsmen are actually not even in contention for the A-team. They did play in the A-team but did not do much. Zol has perhaps even stopped being picked for FC cricket! I think the batsmen there were over-rated except maybe Aparajith. Akshdeep is a very good batsman but may be not among the people knocking on the door.

If someone is really prodigious and makes tons of runs a la Prithvi and Gill, they will break in despite being batsmen.
suresh

Post by suresh »

prasen9 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:40 am I think the batsmen there were over-rated except maybe Aparajith.
In first class cricket, Aparajith has been fading (average just under 40) while his twin brother Indrajith has been doing better (average just over 50).
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

The team for the world cup was announced. I am happy to report that both Divyansh and Divyaansh got in. If it was up to Jay, perhaps only one would qualify but luckily the Supreme Court passed a decree banning discrimination based on transliteration. Now, those that cannot read Samskrit will try to discriminate them by making the "a" clear, e.g., Divnysh or Divyaaaaaaaa-take-a-breath-aaaaaaaansh. That should do it I think. Those who read their news in Samskrit, will perhaps scratch their head and try to figure out which Divyansh to call. Or which Divyaaansh. We computer scientists simplify things by calling it divya*nsh, which matches any number of a's you may want to use.

And, Kumar is keeping wickets again.

Atharva is in marking the beginning of a new chapter. BTW, is he an opener? Given his name, it will be very confusing if he is not.

Akash is in too. If things are not going well, people are going to look at him and ponder.

But looking at Ravi may be injurious to your eyes. So Indian players should not look at him (remember, if need be look at Akash). Maybe he is our trump card to en-blind-en (I made up the word. It sounds like a good word.) the opposition.

Vidyadhar is also a good selection because he brings in supernatural powers. If the Angrejs find it hard to say his name, they call call him "Repository" or maybe even "Database". I like "Knowledge Base". I think this guy is the data analytics person on the field. People should go to him for information.

Tilak is chosen because he can seamlessly get into the opponent's head and have them distracted, itching and scratching.

It is actually late here. No, you are wrong. I am fully sober. I will go to sleep now and address the rest of the team later. Unless some good soul, who writes in a less cryptic manner can put it up.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Semi v Pakistan going very well so far. We're 45 runs short of the target with 10 wickets and 21 overs remaining. Surely, we can't screw up from here ;)
ssp

Post by ssp »

Thrashed them. One of the easiest wins in this tournament. Hopefully Bangladesh will meet us in the final.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

India beat Pakistan by 10 wickets (and 14 overs and 4 balls to spare) in the semifinal, with Yashaswi Jaiswal unbeaten on 105, after taking 1/11 in 3 overs of his legbreaks. He is undoubtedly the star of this under-19 World Cup so far.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Yawn. Why are people even talking of the semis? Given our talent pool, we should expect to be in the finals almost always. Pakistan is not even close wrt talent.
rajitghosh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by rajitghosh »

PKBasu wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:34 pm India beat Pakistan by 10 wickets (and 14 overs and 4 balls to spare) in the semifinal, with Yashaswi Jaiswal unbeaten on 105, after taking 1/11 in 3 overs of his legbreaks. He is undoubtedly the star of this under-19 World Cup so far.
Is Jaiswal the next Kohli or next Unmukt Chand?
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

rajitghosh wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:10 am Unmukt Chand?
Unmukt Chand has always been an oxymoron. Perhaps by definition.

If you have to be a satellite you have to be "bound" by gravity and going around a planet. How can you be unmukt and escape? If you have reached escape velocity, you can be unmukt, but then you cannot remain a chand anymore!

What were his parents drinking?

Reliable sources told me that this question of how he can be free yet be a chand has dogged him and he has never gotten an answer. Poor guy was so burdened by this deeply philosophical issue that he faded away not being able to devote time or any mental energy to do anything else.
suresh

Post by suresh »

Prasenjit in full form :D
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

Agree with prasen's sentiment that we should be dominant in these tournaments. Massive resources and population gap to the rest.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Stupidity. 33 extras! when defending 177. 19 wide balls. Gifted the championship to Bangladesh. After starting 100-1, total collapse to 176. They did not score a single 50 and still won.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Fixed? How else do you explain such a turn of events? From 100-1 and then 33 extras including 19 wides? I hope not but it smells rotten.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

And 156-3 to 177 all out :-(