Indian Women's Team thread ....

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

ssp

Re: General Cricket Thread ...

Post by ssp »

Looks like we are going to lose the final to Pakistan's women. We managed only 81 & Pak's women have got to 21/1 off 7. We need a couple of wickets very quickly to have any chance. Time for me to stop following the match. That usually helps.
Prem
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Prem »

India wins!!!
Pakistan all out for 63 and India win the Asian Cricket Council Women's Twenty20 Asia Cup Final at Guangzhou.

India Women 81 (20/20 ov)
Pakistan Women 63 (19.1/20 ov)

Scorecard
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Congrats to the Indian women for winning the title, although they had to huff and puff against the Pakistani women -- who have so many social challenges at home simply to play cricket, leave alone doing so internationally.

The most interesting aspect of this was the venue: perhaps the first international cricket tournament to be played in China, at the Guanggong stadium in Guangzhou (the city previously known as Canton, the home of the Cantonese who are the dominant linguistic community in Hong Kong, and the famed entrepot into China that was the pivot of the Opium Wars).
ssp

Re: Indian Women's Team thread ....

Post by ssp »

Good effort in the field by India.
However, I'm taking the credit for the win! When I was following the score, Pakistan were 31/1 and the 2nd wicket fell on the very next ball after I logged off. Then wickets fell regularly because I stayed away. ;)
bhagatghavri
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by bhagatghavri »

I have no much interest to watch Indian Women Cricket but I know Mithaliraj is the caption of team who has right handed bating style. I like her bating style. She perform well.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Even as our men are struggling badly in England, our women team completed a historic test win in England.

This is the related news -

India complete landmark victory
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yes, this was a truly magnificent win over the #1 women's side. I would compare this to the men's team win at the Oval in 1971 in terms of historic importance. India's women play too few test matches though. Mithali Raj who led India to victory with 50* was playing only her 10th test (she has played 168 ODIs!). In one of her early tests, she made a mammoth 214 against England!
suresh

Post by suresh »

India is playing SA in a single test. Eleven players (3 for India and 8 for SA) are making their debut thanks to rarity of such an event. India scored a massive 400/6d with centuries from Kamini (192) and Padmini Raut (130) who shared a massive 275 run second wicket partnership. In reply SA scored 234 and are reeling at 84/6 after following on. Debutant off spinner Ranjana Gayakwad picked up 4-54 and medium pacer Harminder Kaur picked up 5-44 in the first innings. I wish they played 3 tests so that our players get more matches to play.
ssp

Post by ssp »

When I checked the score SA were 221/5. Presumed the match would be dawn, but what a brilliant day. Need more tests as our women are much more competitive than or 'over hyped' men.
suresh

Post by suresh »

Looks like Harmanpreet (not Harminder as I wrote earlier) Kaur finished off the tail and so SAWmn went from 209-4 to 234 all out with Gayakwad taking the other wickets. Surprisingly, Jhulan Goswami went wicketless in the first innings but has taken 2 of the 6 in the second innings.
suresh

Post by suresh »

There is a four nation ODI tournament going on in South Africa featuring SA, India, Ireland and Zimbabwe. Indian women have won all their matches. In their last match against Ireland, Deepti Shah (188) and Poonam Raut (108) put on a world record 320 for the first wicket. Deepti's individual score is the second highest ODI score ever. Have we found a successor to Mithali Raj? Here is the Cricinfo report on the record stand.

The women's world cup is being hosted by England and is scheduled to start on June 24.
abhishek_bong

Post by abhishek_bong »

If I talk about the black side of Indian sports then it will be like,
Despite having all the potential the main problem with Indian women cricket team or any other women team in INDIA is their market of viewers. Though the tennis and the badminton team are the two exceptionals. Only a handful of people watches and follows and sort of women sports therefore naturally no sponsors and advertisers display their will of funding and sponsorship towards the women sports.
In India, the environment is not like Saudi-Arabia or Iraq where women are abrogated from playing and sorts of sports but there is a straight stigma mentioned there that is that this sorts of sports are feminine and what are masculine. And one is even interested in breaking down this barier.
Presently India ranks fifth under the captainship of Harmanpeet Kaur .
Despite this still, now a women Ranji Trophy player is given a stipend 200 and a men 2000. This discrimination is hardly ever erasable.
A 15-member India women’s team quietly left for the tour of South Africa to play in a quadrangular series was been organized on the date of May 7 without any public announcement of the selected team members by the BCCI. The SA tour will be followed by the World Cup. The Indian board issued a stern gag order through lengthy emails, barring each one of the members from talking to media until the end of the Women’s World Cup that happened on June 24 in England.

The decision hints at BCCI’s double standards and hypocrisy. While it is looking to exploit the high-stake men’s ICC events by pulling out of Champions Trophy, it has no issues in sending the women’s team to the world event as there are no stakes involved and an India pullout would eventually hurt them only. The women’s team hardly compares to men’s team in terms of popularity and sponsorship.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

India looked perfectly positioned to win the women’s T20 world championship, until the asinine decision to drop Mithali Raj for the SF, which resulted in an abject batting collapse. There is simply no way to justify that decision.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

I agree. She scored two fifties in a row, was player of the match twice in a row, and then could not reclaim her place for a crucial game. It is completely ridiculous.