Indian Women's Team thread ....

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

karr

Re: Indian Women's Team thread ....

Post by karr »

I wonder why there is no women's version of the IPL. Sorry, I shouldn't wonder too hard - I don't quite think the broadcast, media and fan following is quite there yet. That said, India is a growing market, the Women's team is doing ok, the recent World Cup run has stoked interest. Even the spat amongst the senior Cricketers, which clearly affected our chances at the World Cup, has served to bring a spotlight and added media coverage to the Women's game. W.V. Raman, meanwhile has been appointed the Indian team's Coach, replacing Powar.

Is it too much to expect every IPL franchise to develop a Women's team as well?
ssp

Post by ssp »

Our women may have won first 3 matches of the T20 WC and are through to the semi finals.

In the last 2 matches, we batted poorly in the last 6-8 overs and ended up 15-20 runs short. Today NZ needed 34 off the last 2 overs and only just failed to do so.
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

The victory over reigning champions and hosts Australia in the first match of the T20I world championship was a spectacular achievement. By winning the next two matches (against BD and NZ) we have comfortably made the SF (the first team to do so). Winning the Cup has to be the goal here, and there is a very good chance that our women will achieve it. Let's get behind them!!
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

If only Harmanpreet were pulling her weight, we’d be so far ahead. Captaincy has really weighed her down. Last night that tame C&B was sad to watch. And our overs 6-14 performance is really sucking all the momentum. Our bowlers are who have won the matches and, unlike men, the late order has added valuable runs that has made all the difference.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

What a sublime victory in the semi-finals against England! Wow! I love it. England could not even score a run and India did not even lose a wicket before defeating England. On to the finals. A consummate victory to savour for a long time. Whenever I heard it was raining, I knew India would have a very good chance of annihilating England. Bring on the whoever in the finals.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Looks like Australia will be our opponents in the final. I was hoping for South Africa as we are less likely to choke against them :-(
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

What time is the final on Sunday? Looks as if it’ll be a capacity crowd at the MCG. The atmosphere should be electric!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

PKBasu wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:51 pm What time is the final on Sunday? Looks as if it’ll be a capacity crowd at the MCG. The atmosphere should be electric!

12.30 PM IST
ssp

Post by ssp »

Australia going to set us a huge target. 135-1 with 6 overs left. As I expected, this is not looking good.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

What a let down! Painful reminder of many other finals and one in particular, when Aussies beat us to pulp. Mandhana and Kaur really are the busts of this tournament. They simply failed to show up and they are the ones with league experience in Australia too.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Painful, but totally expected thrashing. Soon as Australia won the semi final, I just knew we would get hammered.
ankit1407
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by ankit1407 »

I saved myself from painful watching ; woke up hoping we win the toss and bat .. as soon as I saw the toss outcome I knew it will repeat of 2003 final albeit on women side this time ... on expected lines in the end..
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

We needn't have been thrashed. Alyssa Healy (Ian Healy's niece, Mitchell Starc's wife) gave an easy catch in the covers in the first over (from Dipti Sharma, our off-spinner who has dominated her in the past), but the catch was put down by the young Shafali Verma, who had a nightmare day (getting caught behind for 2 early in India's innings too). Had that catch been taken, the match would have taken a completely different course. But our players seemed over-awed by the occasion.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Most of our batswomen (and Pakistani) seemed to have one stroke—close your eyes and sweep across the line. Shefali doesn’t do that but I feel both she and Mandhana in particular, have great lifted shots on the offside but they do not follow through completely. It ends up being a catch. Anyone else feel that way especially with Mandhana?
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Frankly all the platitudes about growing and learning from the mistakes, and doing better next time, are utter rubbish. THIS IS the big time. The same thing was said after we narrowly lost the ODI World Cup for women in 2017 by just nine runs to England -- having beaten them in the first match of the tournament (eerily reminiscent of this tournament, except that the loss in the final was more emphatic).

But the concussion substitute brought another 16 year old in to bat. So in Shafali Verma and Richa Ghosh we have the beginnings of an even more promising team for the future. But nothing can take away from failing under the big lights on the big day... :-(