Cricket World Cup 2011 - India is the World Champion!

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Cricket World Cup 2011 - in the sub-continent

Post by prasen9 »

Yes, the second one Dhoni was calling but he was behind and did not know if it hit the glove or the forearm. The first one Dhoni was coaxed into calling for it.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

prasen9 wrote:
SriramP wrote:I hope they get rid of Munaf and and not bring in Sreesanth/Piyush but play Yusuf instead (Atithee's principle - pack the squad with batsmen - they can't be doing any worse as bowlers).
Yes, this seems like solid thinking unless Mohali has something for the pacers. India's answer to Razaq at #8. Pakistan has an in-form Afridi and Umar Gul and Mohd. Hafeez is also bowling well. India has to out-bat them.
Normally, Mohali is not as spinner friendly as some of the other Indian pitches & is hard. So, we may need the second seamer. Perhaps, time to give Sresanth a chance. He may go for a lot of runs but can pick up wickets.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I would go with Sreesanth on the big occasion on a pitch that may help pace. I hope the curator produces a normal Mohali pitch (aiding pace and bounce, the latter to be exploited by home boy Bhajji). On a conventional spinning track, Pakistan's spinners would have the edge...
genius

Post by genius »

Kumar wrote:In the last 24 years and 6 WCs (excluding the current), Aussies have made 5 finals and won four of them... What a performance :notworthy: ... And I am really scared about the next game; Pakistan is a very unpredictable team and it seems they have come together at the right time...
they are a second rate team in reality.not one great player in their side.

but the problem with ODI world cups, mid tier sides have done well before.NZ has reached semis quite afew times.
1992 WC was a horror in that nz and eng were doing well with not even one great bowler.eng reached the finals in 1987 without botham and dilley(their only quality bowlers) and in 1992 with only a washed up botham.we ourselves were lucky to win in 1983 with great test players but not great one day players.

for that WI needs to come back.or bangaldesh has to improve inthe next decade to improve the appalling depth currently

ODI is an incomplete test of cricketing skills and a lesser side can pounce on easily if a stronger side has a slippage on a day.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Unfortunately, the Mohali pitch for ODIs is a solid batting wicket. Not Sreesanth again! How I wish they had Pragyan Ojha in the team. He spins the ball the same way and is much better as an ODI bowler than Chawla.
vidhyashankar

Post by vidhyashankar »

Newzealand beat Southafrica!!!Another favourite knocked out.
genius

Post by genius »

The lack of the 7th batsman killed SA. we won because of our 7th batsman yet again!

what a difference it makes between winning and losing!

SA could not recover from their wobble because they had only botha and peterson.nz may not have great bowlers but their bowlers are not as unintelligent as the ones we have in nehra, munaf and harbhajan.

The likes of gavaskar and shastri should shut up permanently about the fifth bowler. 5 bowlers makes no sense whatsoever.its most dumbest and akin to gambling

SA had to learn it with a WC exit.
ssp

Post by ssp »

South Africa have messed up yet again. They had the best bowling & fielding in this WC, but were perhaps one batsman short. I'm afraid the chokers tag is going stick to them for a while.

This WC is India's best chance since 1996, but Pakistan are going to be difficult to beat. Let's hope nerves get to them and, they too choke on Wednesday.

Our bowling still looks weak. Munaf has been terrible and I don't want to see him in any Indian team in the future. Same goes for Nehra. I'd play Sreesanth, not because he will be more economical, but he may get a wicket & can field and bat better than the other 2 clowns.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

So with this loss South Africa is still searching for their first win at knock out stage in World cup.
sanjay8886

Post by sanjay8886 »

And I believe Pak will be easy to beat!! The only team whoose fielding is worse then us is Pak. They do not have good batsman either. They are banking on good pace bowlers and spin( which works against westerners). Let us see what happens on Wednesday.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Against India, even the most mediocre Pakistani players rise to the occasion. Gul is quite crafty and I am betting that he will get Sehwag in the very first over! But we shall prevail!! Go India!
SriramP

Post by SriramP »

This is the worst Pakistani side we are playing in a WC. Pak will be thrashed.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

ssp wrote: Our bowling still looks weak. Munaf has been terrible and I don't want to see him in any Indian team in the future. Same goes for Nehra. I'd play Sreesanth, not because he will be more economical, but he may get a wicket & can field and bat better than the other 2 clowns.
This cycle keeps on repeating. We should call this the "grass is greener when it is old grass" principle. Sreesanth bowls well in a test match -> People think that Sreesanth can bowl in ODIs -> He gets a run and just stinks up the join royally -> He gets dropped. -> It is time for the others to stink up the joint but the stink is less -> People have forgotten Sreesanth's stink by now and want him in the ODI team. Rinse. Lather. Repeat. May I remind that our man bowled 5 overs for 53 runs without any wickets against none other than that batting powerhouse Bangladesh. If you want to argue that that is one match, I could look up the man's record in the last n matches. I can assure you that those numbers are not pretty either wrt runs/over. You can tolerate a difference of half a run per over but 1-2 runs per over over ten overs is too much to swallow. I agree that he is a strike bowler. But, getting 1-2 wickets but giving 20-40 runs more than his replacements in 5-10 overs is usually not worth it. Munaf is bad but I would take bad over worse any day. Or just forget these guys and pick Yusuf Pathan and go with 8 bats and 3 bowlers + part-timers.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

If Atithi, genius, and I agree on it, it must be the universal truth. All teams must pick their top seven batsmen (incl. wk-keeper) first. Forget anything else. Then, decide who-else to pick. That is the golden rule. RSA erred by not doing so. Smith, AN Peterson, Amla, Kallis, de Villiers, Duminy, Ingram. How does that look? Even if you are 2-3 down, you know you have Kallis, DeVil, Dumi, Ingram, plus the tail. You don't feel the pressure as much and you do not choke. On the other hand, if after three down, you just see deVil and Duminy and then fluff, then you are under extreme pressure and choke. I wonder why teams have not figured out the 7+whoever rule. Ganguly got it after a bit of experimentation. Dhoni gets it generally. Thank god.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

In general I agree with the Atithee-Prasen-Genius nexus (axis?) but what SA needed was Albie Morkel, not Ingram.