England tour of India, Nov-Dec 2008

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: England tour of India, Nov-Dec 2008

Post by prasen9 »

puneets wrote: Why ? There was very little chance to get Eng out in 55 overs. But given the way KP and Flintoff were batting yesterday, there could have been a nail biting finish in store had we given them 55-60 overs to play.
Because little chance is more than almost no chance. Yes, the most probable result was always a draw. So whether you bat or bowl is largely futile. But, you need to always try. I give you Pak who had lost 7 wickets in 48 over; admittedly this wicket was more docile. I think India had a lead of 367 at lunch with 53 overs left for the English. That is at near 7 runs an over. Can you even remotely find any team that chased near, say 275, at over 5 runs an over in test cricket in I4 to win? KP is not God. In test cricket, you can easily defend 7 runs an over.

Regarding practice, I would rather have Yuvraj prove himself in a test match situation, rather than an ODI situation where England were merely passing time restricting runs to get the declaration and not attacking with their ears up. It is the latter situation that Yuvraj needs practice in, not, practice against a team on defence. Actually, innings under these circumstances may give us a false idea of his capabilities --- we know he is an excellent attacking player. Also, why not give Amit Mishra more practice to see if he can cut it, especially, against an attacking English team after they had time to adjust to his bowling?
puneets

Post by puneets »

It's easy to defend 7 rpo, and its also very easy to play out 50 odd overs. I guess Dhoni wanted his 2 batsman to play those worthless overs and get some match practice, rather than his 11 players bowl and field during those overs. The bottom line is that the series was already over by that time.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

BCCI setting up five test match series against England. Why? I would rather they set up a five test match series against Australia and South Africa, home and away. That would give the young Indian bats (expected in the near future) the time to adjust in Aussie/RSA conditions and come back after an initial loss and give the Australians time to adjust to Indian spinning wickets and have a competitive series. Then, if there is time --- I doubt there will be --- they should play five against England. Three is enough for England; they are not that good. With the challenge of Mendis, I would actually play five in Sri Lanka before I bother about England. This may have been a political decision to give them sops and keep ICL out.