Indian Premier League (IPL)

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

I would like, of course, Ganguly as the captain and Manoj Tiwari.  Bowlers Ranadeb Bose and SS Paul backuped by one of the two Mohantys.  I am assuming that the Indian stars will play for their nearest cities.  I am okay with Dhoni.

Among the internationals, I would like one of C. Vaas, B. Lee, M. Ntini to lend some experience to the pacers.  Spinner?  Panesar or Vettori.

Batsmen: I like Sangakarra.

Among those that I would not like to be in my team are the Aussies except B. Lee, and Gilchrist.  I hope Ponting and Symonds do not get any IPL contract.  I do not know which Indian city will welcome them.  I would not follow the Kolkata team with much fervor if these guys are in the team.  I don't particularly like Hayden but admire his abilities somewhat.

What about you?
Last edited by prasen9 on Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
puneets

Post by puneets »

Time to start a new thread. IPL is gaining momentum and there is some news or the other every day.

Here's what I have read in the papers.

- 8 teams: Bombay, Delhi, Chennai, Kolkata, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chandigarh and Jaipur.

- Minimum of 16 players per team.

- Max of 6 overseas players/squad.

- Max of 4 overseas players in the playing 11 per team.

- Min of 4 under 21 players per team + Min of 4 players from the franchise's area (geographical).

So a 16 member squad could look something like this:
6 overseas players, 4 indian players from the state/local area (could also include iconic players like SRT for Mumbai, Dravid for Bangalore etc), 4 under-22 indian players (from anywhere in India),  and the remaining 2 indian players (from anywhere in India).

5 'iconic' players are set:
SRT to play for Bombay
Dada for Kolkata
Dravid for Bangalore
Yuvi for Chandigarh
Dhoni for ?

Additionally, there are demands from the Delhi and Hyderabad franchise owners that Sehwag and VVSL also be given the same status.

Here's more info from Cricinfo:

Designated local areas, i.e. Ranji teams (for selecting 4 players/team)
Mumbai : Mumbai, Maharashtra and Vidarbha.
Bangalore : Karnataka and Goa and Services.
Chennai : Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Railways.
Kolkata :Bengal, Jharkhand, Assam, Tripura and Sikkim.
Hyderabad: Hyderabad, Andhra and Orissa.
Delhi: Delhi, Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh.
Mohali: Haryana, Punjab, Himachal and J&K
Jaipur: Rajasthan, Gujarat, Baroda and Saurashtra.
Last edited by puneets on Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Indian Premier League (IPL)

Post by Sandeep »

Why is Madhya Pradesh given to Delhi?? It is much closer to Hyderabad :( .
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

If the news has to be believed, Sachin will be the non playing captain of Mumbai

http://cricket.indiatimes.com/Tendulkar ... 765347.cms

I doubt it, who would want to lose the tremendous charisma Sachin has by not making him play?
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

This is really bad for the Kolkata team.  Look at the East Zone Duleep Trophy team.  With ICL taking the prime domestic talent, these guys are totally useless batsmen except SS Das.  He is a good opener but if he can play Twenty20 I don't know.  Maybe the trick is to choose the bowlers from the region and buy the batsmen.  Why do they have to have designated regions?  Why not just get the best players from anywhere?  That would improve the overall quality.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

ICL is again in contact with BCCI to asking permission to their league and allow their players to participate in IPL ... ICL stated that they r giving platform for Indian youngsters so in a way they r helping BCCI to find future talent.

Jaydeep.
puneets

Post by puneets »

prasen wrote:
Why do they have to have designated regions?  Why not just get the best players from anywhere?  That would improve the overall quality.
I don't think that BCCI included this clause in order to give an equal chance to players from every part of India. Knowing BCCI, it's pretty easy to figure that out.
The real reason might be to provide a 'local flavor' to the teams, so that the fans develop some sort of loyalty with their team to begin with.

IPL will be a blessing in disguise for the cricket infrastructure all over India (at least in those 8 cities). BCCI never cared about the stadiums, the food stands, the toilets etc because no matter what they did (i.e. did nothing), there were people always willing to pay to watch Team India play. Now the story will be a bit different. IPL will have to provide top notch facilities and woo the crowds to the stadiums.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

If the IPL improves the quality of the stadia (particularly facilities like the toilets, food stalls, etc.), it will have served a very useful purpose. The Eden Gardens is one of the most wonderful cricket grounds in the world, but the facilities for spectators (even in the pavilion area) are absolutely pathetic. Having watched cricket at the SCG, Wanderers, WACA, Oval, Lord's, Hove, Bristol, and even Singapore's Kallang ground, I can vouch for the fact that the facilities at the three Indian grounds I've been at (Eden, Wankhede, Kotla) are easily the worst. Jamshedpur's Keenan stadium (where I've played) is actually a bit better than most, with the Tata involvement...
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

Prasen, SS Das if at all chosen woulld play for Hyderabad. Orissa comes under Hyderabad region according to Puneet's post
nballa

Post by nballa »

its a good time to start this thing too
esp when all the marathis are busy gunning down the north-indians.
i mean mumbai vs delhi is going to be fierce innit. if anything the overseas players are gonna take the bite out of this potentially mouthwatering east's version of red-sox vs yankees.
puneets

Post by puneets »

Bindra has been named the head of so called 'infrastructure committee"
Economic Times Link
Here is an excerpt:
Modi said the stadia hosting the matches would undergo massive upgradation to improve public amenities. "We met the associations' representatives and told them the infrastructure needs in the stadia and what help they can expect from us. There will be massive upgradation in all the staging venues in terms of facilities such as public toilets and seating arrangements," he told reporters here.
"We will be spending crores of rupees in this regard and will also be placing the franchisees' needs before the staging associations.

But as is usually the case with BCCI, we know that half the things that  they say are never implemented.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

nballa wrote: ... if anything the overseas players are gonna take the bite out of this potentially mouthwatering east's version of red-sox vs yankees.
I wish a day would come when spectators in India can come out in large numbers and cheer for their team, support their team, and push them to get better while not accepting mediocrity or "chalta hai" attitude.  :D

I think that fans of Mohan Bagan, East Bengal and few other teams are very passionate, but many fans still accept mediocrity as long as their team wins.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Sourav Ganguly has zeroed in on 7 players for the Kolkata team that he will be leading ... The players auction is on February 20.

Sourav - “I would always like to have players like Gilly (Adam Gilchrist), Jacques Kallis, Mathew Hayden, Shaun Pollock, Brett Lee, Shahid Afridi and Mohammad Yousuf on my side.”
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Saandeep wrote: Prasen, SS Das if at all chosen woulld play for Hyderabad. Orissa comes under Hyderabad region according to Puneet's post
Sorry, I missed that.  Then it is even worse.  We are left with tons of junk.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

BSharma wrote: I wish a day would come when spectators in India can come out in large numbers and cheer for their team, support their team, and push them to get better while not accepting mediocrity or "chalta hai" attitude.  :D

I think that fans of Mohan Bagan, East Bengal and few other teams are very passionate, but many fans still accept mediocrity as long as their team wins.
Bhusan, the people of Kolkata passionately support their teams and turn out in large numbers --- most international tournaments used to be full.  Now, if you are stressing on the second part on not accepting mediocrity, then what are the spectators to do?  They can just stay home.  However, at least my Bengal (30-15 years ago) was passionate about sports.  Staying home was not an option.  Improving the quality of the game is more of a job of the administrators.  The spectator has a decision whether to buy or not to buy.  In monopolistic markets like what we have for sports, the spectator decides to buy even if the product is not great skills-wise.  At least, they are treated to great rivalries and exciting matches even if the skills level is low (for football).