Indian Premier League (IPL)

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Indian Premier League (IPL)

Post by prasen9 »

Yes, and if Narine does not chuck, does he really deserve that kind of money? KKR made some stupid outlays. Not much of a MO. Can you really win depending upon 2-3 people? Shreevats is not that good in T20 anyway ... but maybe he can learn and get a chance if Saha does not recover from his injury in time.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

Narine was a game changing opener in the last IPL.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

prasen9 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:10 pm Shreevats is not that good in T20 anyway ... but maybe he can learn and get a chance if Saha does not recover from his injury in time.
You obviously haven't been following the Mushtaq Ali trophy (the domestic T20 competition). Shreevats top-scored in almost all the matches for Bengal, apart from a duck in the last match. And his 'keeping is very good.

His scores this year (with a strike rate of over 140 in every match): 79, 58, 82*, 13, 58, 57, 26, 0
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Can someone tell me how CSK are back and Pune have vanished? (I really haven’t followed the shenanigans).
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Sin Hombre wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:39 pm Narine was a game changing opener in the last IPL.
Ah, yes. If I recall correctly he scored about 17 runs/dismissal at about 170-ish SR. Too little contribution imho wrt the number of runs but he does things with the ball too and boosts the SR. However, if I recall correctly, he sort of got worked out after the initial few innings and did not fire later on. Chances are the league will have adapted to him and he will be out early in this version. Obviously, KKR does not think so. Let's see.

We'll see what Shrivats does at the IPL (if he gets the chance). A lot of people have succeeded one season. I want him to succeed. But I am not confident. I think he will make a very good ODI batsman if he is given the time to develop (20-30 matches). And as you said the keeping is good.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

PKBasu wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:21 am Can someone tell me how CSK are back and Pune have vanished? (I really haven’t followed the shenanigans).
CSK were banned only for 2 years and I think it was agreed at that time that CSK will be back after 2 years and Pune will go out.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I see now that Pune (Rising Pune Supergiants) and Gujarat (Lions) were temporary (2-year) replacements for CSK and Rajasthan Royals. I wonder what the incentive was for the owners of the two temporary teams (create a franchise and brand for two years, and then see it vanish)?

Also, how is it that the 3 main players from CSK (Dhoni, Jadeja, Raina) have returned to that side (automatically before the auction)? Some special arrangements made for them?

A year ago, all team slates were to have been wiped clean for this year's auction, but the owners seem to have managed to change the rules quite substantially.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

PKBasu wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:08 am I see now that Pune (Rising Pune Supergiants) and Gujarat (Lions) were temporary (2-year) replacements for CSK and Rajasthan Royals. I wonder what the incentive was for the owners of the two temporary teams (create a franchise and brand for two years, and then see it vanish)?

Also, how is it that the 3 main players from CSK (Dhoni, Jadeja, Raina) have returned to that side (automatically before the auction)? Some special arrangements made for them?

A year ago, all team slates were to have been wiped clean for this year's auction, but the owners seem to have managed to change the rules quite substantially.
Have a read of this: http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... pl-auction
How many Right to Match (RTM) cards does each franchise have after retention?

The new player-retention rules stipulate that a team can retain a maximum of five players through a combination of pre-auction retention and RTM. A franchise can retain a maximum of three capped India players and two capped overseas players. Having each retained three players, Super Kings, Daredevils, Mumbai Indians and Royal Challengers have only two RTMs remaining. The other four franchises have three RTMs, each having retained no more than two players.
As far as I was aware Pune and Gujarat only had a 2 year contract
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

prasen9 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:33 am
Sin Hombre wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:39 pm Narine was a game changing opener in the last IPL.
Ah, yes. If I recall correctly he scored about 17 runs/dismissal at about 170-ish SR. Too little contribution imho wrt the number of runs but he does things with the ball too and boosts the SR. However, if I recall correctly, he sort of got worked out after the initial few innings and did not fire later on. Chances are the league will have adapted to him and he will be out early in this version. Obviously, KKR does not think so. Let's see.

We'll see what Shrivats does at the IPL (if he gets the chance). A lot of people have succeeded one season. I want him to succeed. But I am not confident. I think he will make a very good ODI batsman if he is given the time to develop (20-30 matches). And as you said the keeping is good.
Well the idea is that if you have 6 players who can score 15-20 runs at 170+ SR and 2 who can score 50 on average at 110-120 SR, you are well in business to win most matches.

There is little reason to play guys who average 30 at 130 SR.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Sin Hombre wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:16 am Well the idea is that if you have 6 players who can score 15-20 runs at 170+ SR and 2 who can score 50 on average at 110-120 SR, you are well in business to win most matches.

There is little reason to play guys who average 30 at 130 SR.
6 players who can score at 170+SR? Two players scoring at 50? Who are we talking about?

Also, you have to have a very disciplined strategy. You have to tell these 6 players to keep on hitting even if they are 45-3. Often, I see big hitters slow down when there are not as many wickets in hand.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I was looking at the KKR team and it seems to be short on batsmen. Lynn, Karthik, and Uthappa pick themselves. Then, we have Jaggi and Rana. Then a void. So, I'd play maybe Cameron Delport/Russell. Throw in Apoorv Wankhade. That's the seven although Narine will bat as an opener. Delport and Russell can bowl.

Lynn, Narine, Uthappa, Rana, Jaggi, Karthik, Russell/Delport, Kuldeep, Searles, Vinay Kumar, Johnson.

If Johnson bowls badly, then cue in Delport. Spinner backup Piyush Chawla. If a batsman is hurt, then Apoorv is the backup. The wildcards are the youngsters Shubman Gill, Mavi, Nagarkoti, Rinku.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I think Shubman Gill will be a definite starter in the first XI, and either Mavi or Nagarkoti too. Otherwise, the team looks very under-powered.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Underpowered with Lynn, Narine, Uthappa, Karthik, and Russell? Jaggi may not be that big a hitter and perhaps will make way for Gill. Rana is a reasonable hitter. With the U-19s, they look great in the U-19 WC but may need some work before they are ready for the top level. See Pant. He needs some adjustment still. Unmukt Chand is still struggling. The Kohlis come a few in a generation. That said, let us hope Gill turns out to be a Kohli.

Gill, Mavi, and Nagarkoti all have great potential. The foreign pacers are Searles, Curran, and Johnson. If we play both Lynn and Narine and then Russell, then only one of these three will play. Then, one of Mavi or Nagarkoti comes in with the other being a backup. Their fate will be decided in the practice sessions to see how they hold up against the big guns. The last two could keep Vinay Kumar out. It is more probable that Vinay will start the season and then he will be canned and then the second of the youngsters will get a chance.
ratnakarshukla4696

MI vs CSK: Best encounters in IPL so far

Post by ratnakarshukla4696 »

Chennai Super Kings and Mumbai Indians are two of the most successful sides in the history of IPL.

This is one of the biggest modern day rivalries in league cricket.

They have met each other in 3 IPL finals with Mumbai Indians emerging triumphant in 2 of those occasions.

Here we look at the biggest ties between these two sides.

CSK outclass MI
2010 Indian Premier League final
Mumbai Indians skippered by the legendary Sachin Tendulkar and Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings were in the hunt for their first title.

CSK opted to bat first and set a target of 169 riding on Raina's 57.

Mumbai failed to build partnerships as wickets kept tumbling and Sachin's 48-run knock wasn't enough.

Mumbai lost the final by 22 runs.
Maiden title
2013 Indian Premier League final
Having tasted defeat in 2010, Mumbai, now under the leadership of Rohit Sharma, had a whole new vigour about them.

Batting first Mumbai managed 148 with Pollard's top score of 60 off 32 balls making the difference.

In reply, CSK kept losing wickets with as many as 4 ducks.

Even Dhoni's 63* couldn't stop Mumbai from claiming their first title.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I've been travelling in Europe, so haven't watched any of the early IPL matches, but this year's tournament seems to have got off to a terrific start. Hyderabad's win over Rajasthan was mainly on account of the terrific bowling -- by Shakib-Rashid bowling spin, and Bhuvi-SKaul bowling swing -- but the MoM still went to a batsman!