Indian Premier League (IPL)

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

puneets
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Indian Premier League (IPL)

Post by puneets »

Quoted salaries are for one year while the contract is for 3 years.

I didn't follow the whole auctioning business as I was pretty busy yesterday, but it sounds like fun :)
I work on a lot of optimization problems and this one looks interesting.
puneets

Post by puneets »

What the hell was Bangalore thinking ? I read somewhere that they had Dravid to assist them in the bidding process. Looks like he's collected a squad for test cricket!

Dravid, Kallis, Kumble, Jaffer(!)

But I guess it's more to do with star power and the ability to make money (i.e. sell tickets and merchandise). Bringing together a winning combination for 20-20 matches wasn't the main driving force I guess.
suresh

Post by suresh »

Ponting and Hayden lost out because they are planning to tour Pakistan and will not be available for the full duration of the IPL. When it became clear Symonds was not going to Pakistan, his `value' went up. Teams have selected 7-8 international players keeping in mind that they may not be available for the full duration -- so the amount they get paid is proportional to their availability.Teams like Chennai and Hyderabad have spent more than maximum of 20 crores keeping this in mind.

I wish IPL had studied leagues like the NBA/NFL in the US to understand issues like the salary cap, trading players better. In principle, they could have held a mock draft so that teams understood the procedure. The first round went out of control and Dhoni is the biggest beneficiary of that.

I hope that the IPL matches generate more enthusiasm than the auction. I also wonder if IPL has got all the rules in place -- in particular, what happens if a player gets injured? Does he get paid? Who foots the medical bill?

Suresh
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

puneets wrote: Quoted salaries are for one year while the contract is for 3 years.

I didn't follow the whole auctioning business as I was pretty busy yesterday, but it sounds like fun :)
I work on a lot of optimization problems and this one looks interesting.
This is quite funny to me.  A contract for three years with a salary for one year.  Now, does that mean that I can like negotiate in the second year for a drastically lower salary with the player having the bargaining chip of playing or not playing?  In that case, I could bring salaries down to $100,000 range per year or so for the second or third years.  I have never seen contracts for 3 years with salaries for 1 year.  At least there should be non-guaranteed salaries for the 2nd and 3rd years (i.e., the team has to cut the player to not pay the salary).

I like optimization problems too and thus scheduling and auctions are fun.  However, in this case there are too many uncertainties to do any tractable optimization.  First, there are too many players and you do not know any of the bids.  Then, there is no past history.  So, any optimization would be useless except rules of thumb.
puneets

Post by puneets »

I think that it's a 3yr contract worth $x (the bid amount) every year.

Ok even if Ponting is not fully available this year, while Symonds is, then how does this explain the vast difference in their bid amount. If I understand it correctly, if Ponting plays half of this season, he would get paid about half of his bid amount (i.e. anrd 250K), while if Symonds plays half the season, he'll get 750K.
puneets

Post by puneets »

like optimization problems too and thus scheduling and auctions are fun.  However, in this case there are too many uncertainties to do any tractable optimization.  First, there are too many players and you do not know any of the bids.  Then, there is no past history.  So, any optimization would be useless except rules of thumb.
I was thinking in terms of quantifying each player on several metrics (his performance, avg, utility, star power, money making potential etc) and then solving a resource allocation problem.
puneets

Post by puneets »

A Primer for Ponting
"The Telegraph"

[img width=144 height=400]http://www.telegraphindia.com/1080221/i ... primer.jpg[/img]
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

puneets wrote: I was thinking in terms of quantifying each player on several metrics (his performance, avg, utility, star power, money making potential etc) and then solving a resource allocation problem.
Yes, but two issues.  How do you quantify these things.  One, there has been very few 2020s, second, the intangibles like utility, star power, money making, etc. are very subjective.  I suppose you are okay with some estimates.  But, then how do you solve a resource allocation problem.  Perhaps, you can do it before and after each player is auctioned to dynamically decide upon your strategy.

In general, I do not like the fact that players were divided into rounds and the orders pre-determined.  Perhaps because Manoj was before Raina, he got more money.  The order of the players should have been determined by asking each team to provide a ranked list (or a partially ranked) list of all the players.  Then, some average score should be used to determine the order.  For example, if the order among the wicket-keepers were Dhoni, ,Gilchrist, MacCallum, Sangakarra, etc.  I would auction them in that order.  That way, Akhtar would not go before Lee, Ishant, etc.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Mumbai has no 'keeper, unless they ask Uthappa (who used to be one) to do the job. Given that Kolkata and Chennai have two 'keepers each, I think Parthiv and Taibu are going to be twiddling their thumbs for much of the season -- and could've been better utilized by Mumbai. I feel sorry for Parthiv, who keeps performing superbly in domestic cricket but will probably never play for India again -- cricket's answer to Michael Chang (someone who rose to the very top in his teens, but never reached those lofty heights ever again in his sporting career). Sad!
puneets

Post by puneets »

What about the 4 zonal and under-22 players that are still to be decided by each team ?
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

As per IPL rules, if players r available then Franchises still can go after English and other missing Kiwi players after auction ... Like Mumbai and Jaipur needs some more back up players ... The squad will additionally consist of a minimum 4 under 22 players , these players r extra than minimum of regular 16 players per squad.
After the Auction, Franchises are free to purchase additional foreign players subject to the franchises informing the BCCI / DLF IPL of any such additional foreign players. The BCCI/DLF IPL will approach the desired players on behalf of the Franchise in an attempt to negotiate the contracted fee up to an amount set by the Franchise, and will endeavour to obtain a No Objection Certificate from that player's home board. If more than one Franchise is interested in a particular player, the DLF IPL may hold a further Auction to determine which Franchise will sign that player. The fees paid to any such additional foreign players for 2008 (when added to the total player fees for 2008 committed by the Franchise in the Auction) must not exceed the maximum purse of $5m. Also Indian players who are not in the Auction can be signed at any time.
genius

Post by genius »

were agarkar and joginder forced into the bids based on overwhelming demand from the batsmen?????

i would have laughed off the 2.5 pay on joginder, only if he had not been chosen by the moronic chennai bidders!  its so annoying see this trundler playing for chenna!

the pricing is highly bizarre to say the least !
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

i would have laughed off the 2.5 pay on joginder, only if he had not been chosen by the moronic chennai bidders!

Agree, a very good term for Chennai bidders.. Only reason for choosing Murali is the 'tamil' factor. And to spend 1.8 M+ on wicket keepers is pretty amusing.
puneets

Post by puneets »

Now it's the turn of junior players. Saurabh Tiwary, Jamshedpur based Indian under-19 cricketer got an offer of Rs. 14 lakhs/year from Bangalore team.
I'm sure that each and every Indian player currently playing in the under-19 world cup will be snapped up shortly.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

puneets wrote: Now it's the turn of junior players. Saurabh Tiwary, Jamshedpur based Indian under-19 cricketer got an offer of Rs. 14 lakhs/year from Bangalore team.
I'm sure that each and every Indian player currently playing in the under-19 world cup will be snapped up shortly.
I am sorry that I am totally confused.  What is the point of getting these players?  They will not play in the first XI anyway.  What is the rush?  Also, I thought Jharkhand would be assigned to the Kolkata team.  Or are the zonal affiliations only for Ranji players?  This is such a hotchpotch.