Indian Premier League (IPL)

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Kumar
Authors
Authors

Re: Indian Premier League (IPL)

Post by Kumar »

Need to check if we can change players unless they are injured. I think we can change, but not sure why it is allowed? If the squad can be changed up to 5 days before the tournament for other reasons, what is the point of announcing the squad so early?

Players lost due to IPL so far - Andre Russell, Marcus Stonis, Sam Curran
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

I have no idea why you have to name a squad but then can change. Most teams do not change in practice unless there is an injury. Rarely do selectors change due to form fluctuations.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Kumar wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:02 pm Need to check if we can change players unless they are injured. I think we can change, but not sure why it is allowed? If the squad can be changed up to 5 days before the tournament for other reasons, what is the point of announcing the squad so early?

Players lost due to IPL so far - Andre Russell, Marcus Stonis, Sam Curran
The rules are pretty ridiculous, but of course are written to accommodate the IPL (and especially T20I world cup "hosts", India). We can change the team based on IPL form.

If Kohli has any sense, he will stop opening in T20s and T20Is. It is not a role that suits him. He should return to batting at number 3 where he has had so much more success in LoI cricket.
ssp

Post by ssp »

I'm impressed by Umran Malik. Lovely action and genuine pace. 150+kph
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Then this year's IPL leading wicket-taker Harshal Patel is in a good chance to add in the team ... As we are going to lay on these similar pitches only.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Really think CSK is going to fall off the rails. DC will probably not play the full squad tmw, so there is a good chance that RCB with a huge victory (7+ overs or 50+ runs) can jump to 2nd place thus relegating CSK to 3rd place.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

If KKR loses, it will be due to the slow batting of Iyer and their stupidity in retaining and sending in Morgan who wasted 11 balls scoring very slowly at the end! This season will have been given up because of the sheer stupidity in continuing with Eoin Morgan despite failure after failure.
Last edited by prasen9 on Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sanjay8886

Post by sanjay8886 »

Kumar wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:30 pm Really think CSK is going to fall off the rails. DC will probably not play the full squad tmw, so there is a good chance that RCB with a huge victory (7+ overs or 50+ runs) can jump to 2nd place thus relegating CSK to 3rd place.
I don't think that is even theoretically possible (difference of 50 runs only improves the NRR of RCB to 0.04, it is required to be 0.45). Both DC and CSK will remain #1 and #2.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

prasen9 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:05 pm If KKR loses, it will be due to the slow batting of Iyer and their stupidity in retaining and sending in Morgan who wasted 11 balls scoring very slowly at the end! This season will have been given up because of the sheer stupidity in continuing with Eoin Morgan despite failure after failure.
The problem is that KKR MO does not inspire confidence . So openers pretty much got to stay with decent rate thru 8-10 overs. At this time, KKr are pretty much thru.
sanjay8886 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:05 pm

I don't think that is even theoretically possible (difference of 50 runs only improves the NRR of RCB to 0.04, it is required to be 0.45). Both DC and CSK will remain #1 and #2.
Sorry, read it is as +0.15! Yes lot more difficult for RCB. Needs almost 130-140 runs victory. MI will have similar equation.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

MI needs a 170 run victory. I suppose score 220-240 and get them out for 50-70.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I hope SRH wins the toss and bats first. :-) Are teams usually winning the toss and bowling?
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

It's a lot easier to chase 100 in 7.3 overs than to score 270 when batting first. That's why it makes far more sense to bat second when trying to boost your NRR.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

indiansportsfan wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:57 am It's a lot easier to chase 100 in 7.3 overs than to score 270 when batting first. That's why it makes far more sense to bat second when trying to boost your NRR.
In that scenario, MI will have their NRR come up to +0.3 or so and not qualify. It is very hard for them to qualify if they bat second. Please do the numbers. I did it. The way they calculate the NRR is not to add the win RR margin per match but to calculate the total runs scores/overs faced - opponent runs scored/overs faced all together. I think long time ago, we talked about how this was a terrible way to calculate things --- maybe in a World Cup thread. But that is the way it is being done. Maybe the clouts of Mumbai Indians will get it changed to something sane the next year?
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

prasen9 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:28 am
indiansportsfan wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:57 am It's a lot easier to chase 100 in 7.3 overs than to score 270 when batting first. That's why it makes far more sense to bat second when trying to boost your NRR.
In that scenario, MI will have their NRR come up to +0.3 or so and not qualify. It is very hard for them to qualify if they bat second. Please do the numbers. I did it. The way they calculate the NRR is not to add the win RR margin per match but to calculate the total runs scores/overs faced - opponent runs scored/overs faced all together. I think long time ago, we talked about how this was a terrible way to calculate things --- maybe in a World Cup thread. But that is the way it is being done. Maybe the clouts of Mumbai Indians will get it changed to something sane the next year?
Mumbai are scoring at almost 14 a over! So they could get to 270-280 giving them a real chance to make the eliminator! Kishan has been a relevation. Pandya is struggling

Very weird that they gave captaincy to Manish Pandey who was not even in team. I would have expected Rashid Khan or Holder
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

SRH is playing a junk XI. I do not know if they save money by not playing Warner or Williamson. They have no stake in the game.