Indian Premier League (IPL)

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Atithee

Re: Indian Premier League (IPL)

Post by Atithee »

Sin Hombre wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:55 am Bumrah has been our greatest fast bowler, and Vaas for SL so I wouldn't really extrapolate too much to genetics here. The only reality is that India has had a batting culture historically and Pakistan a fast bowling culture. Best talents gravitate towards that.
Let’s be clear. We are talking about FAST bowlers. I say those who hit 140 kph regularly. Greatest doesn’t mean most. If you look at fast not fast spinners as I call them aka medium fast, then I stand by my observation. It’s predominantly Muslim and I’m equally proud if they had been any other religion followers. They’re all Indians first anyway. I shouldn’t have stated my observation in retrospect.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

So now, we have the following batting leaders (by SR, qual: 365 runs):

Tripathi 37.5@158, Samson 30 @ 150, Gill 31@136, Rahul 49@135, Iyer 30.8@134.5, Hooda 31@133.5, Pandya 45@133, Abhisekh S 30@133, Tilak Varma 36@131.

The rest have been too slow or not scored enough runs. Tripathi and Gill were unfortunate to miss out. On the other hand, Ruturaj and Venkatesh were lucky to be retained.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

@prasen, very good article on cricinfo
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/road ... 15-1316065

This is the first time I have seen an article in Indian media admitting that we can only have one of Kohli, Rohit or KL in the top order in T20, something we have been saying for years.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

My squad for WC considering it is played in Australia

Shubhman Gill, Rishabh Pant,KL Rahul, SkY, Tripathi, Hardik, Deepak Hooda
Spinners - Chahal, krunal Pandya or Axar , Kuldip or Ashwin( for left dominant line up)
Pace bowlers - Jasprit, Chahar, Arshdeep, Prasidh Krishna, Thakur or Harshal Patel

Considering how good, Gill is on bouncy track, you gotta play Gill in WC. Considering our struggle against lefties, slide Pant in as opener. He is better than Ishant kishen and unless we are looking at guys like Jaiswal, i think Pant is our best option to open and he is useless in any other position. I like Jitesh sharma in the finisher role, but doubt he gets picked over Pant.

As toleft arm spinner choices are between Krunal, Axar and Jadeja. Considering Jadeja’s poor returns, it comes down to Axar and Krunal. I think Axar inspite of the poor IPL may be a better choice.

As to our anchor batsman, it has got to be KL Rahul, Sky, Tripathi and Hardik (very right heavy unfortunately)

Pacers - Prasidh for bouncy tracks , Would prefer chahar over Umesh or Shamimif fit

I actually prefer Mohsin Khan, but Is relatively new, so giving nodto Harpreet

As to 15th player, i was deliberating if we should go with bowler or extra bat. Finally chose Thakur considering how lucky he can be. The other option is to load up with extra bat.

Likely 15 :puke:

Rohit, Ishan Kishen, KL Rahul, Sky, Shreyas Iyer, Pant, Hardik, Jadeja, Chahal, Kuldip, Bumrah, Bhuvi, Shami, shardul, Harshal
Rajkumar Sharma

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Spinners - Chahal, krunal Pandya or Axar , Kuldip or Ashwin( for left dominant line up
Only 3 spinners should be selected. Finger spinners have no role in Australian tracks specially in shorter formats. 2 wrist spinners from Bishnoi, Chahal & Kuldeep and 1 finger spinner from Jadeja, Axar & Ashwin
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I'd go with Jadeja because he can bat and saves runs in the field although he has done nothing much with the bat in T20Is. Ashwin can keep it tight.
Rajkumar Sharma

Captaincy, Opening, Finisher. People want so much from Risabh Pant in shorter format but at the end of the day he is that lucky guy who gets so much backing but fails to deliver, and again given chances..Havent seen a 32+ average in odi 24+ average batsman getting so much lime light in indian cricket history, may be few in Gavaskar or Viswanath 's era

Ishan, Sanju & Jitesh should get that number of games like this lime light guy before throwing them out
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Hardik Pandya is surely captaincy material in the shorter formats. He won the IPL through sheer brilliance of his own performance (in the final) and captaincy throughout the tournament. Forging a team out of very little and taking them to the title takes some doing.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I didn't realise Nehra was head coach of Gujarat Titans until Gary Kirsten was interviewed after the match. Kirsten is batting coach/advisor, but Nehra is the head coach! I wonder who made that decision. Whoever did, it seems to have been as brilliant a choice as it was unexpected!
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Maybe Gary did not have the time or energy to devote full-time to being the head coach. Nehra's comments in the media have been reasonably sharp throughout the years even though I did not agree with some of them (which will happen with anyone).
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

PKBasu wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:20 am I wonder who made that decision. Whoever did, it seems to have been as brilliant a choice as it was unexpected!
Heard it from someone who is close to the Tamil Nadu boys in the squad....Gary was taking care of the overseas boys and Nehra took care of all the Indian boys. It worked nicely as the gaps were managed well. Similar to Dhoni-Fleming and Rohit-Mahela.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I think the new franchises were at an advantage. They did not have money tied up as deadwood. They could build a team based on current form and current predictions and had a full purse. On the flip side, they did not have access to the top players who were bottled up by other teams. But, that was only a few players. The ability to pick good players from each team, more or less, and not have to touch the junk and deadwood was a huge advantage. In the future, the think-tank needs to think about the right method to allow for a bit more equity. Maybe allow teams to protect six players or so such that the core of the team is protected. Or 5.
Rajkumar Sharma

Since IPL format is changed to 10 teams. League stage of Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy T20 should be changed to provide more opportunity for the players to catch the franchise eyes in auction. 5 matches in league stage is not enough for a player to make a demand for IPL
Rajkumar Sharma

India unearther talent in batting, bowling & keeping from IPL. But no one found in pace bowling allrounder department.

Dube fired with the bat but poor with the bowl
Shankar was dropped because of poor performance in the midway.
Poor decision by Punjab management & CSK in not exploring Raj Bawa & Hangregekar
Ramandeep looked promishing but he needs more games to prove himself
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Except of course the revival of Hardik Pandya's career as a genuine pace-bowling allrounder in white-ball cricket.