Indian Premier League (IPL)

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Kumar
Authors
Authors

Re: Indian Premier League (IPL)

Post by Kumar »

prasen9 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:35 pm The oldies are going to win this. Stupid captaincy on top of the stupid batting (in the rest of the IPL, hasn't batted yet) by Eoin Morgan. Why did Lockie Ferguson get his last over after bowling 3 crappy overs? Iyer is being underbowled.
Why did Iyer bowl just one over? He just gave away 6 runs. Dhoni will probably ride into Sunset with this victory, unless he decides to come for one more

90 no loss in 10 overs and then 38-8 in 8 overs. Just goes to show how KKR was held up by combo of Gill and Iyer. Tripathy was in good form and his injury really made this a rollover
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

As KKR fans, who u want retained for next year?

Varun, Russell and who else? Iyar or Gill or both?
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

I know who I want gone. Eoin Morgan and Dinesh Karthik. Karthik missed the Faf stumping. Really, we are so short of keeper-bats? Get a young guy and groom him. Or else, get local chap Srivats Goswamy if he is not already signed by someone. If Morgan shows form in the T20I WC, he can stay. Karthik should be chucked out asap.

We need Russell and Cummins back. We need some big hitters. The only one we have now is Tripathi.

Narine, Varun, Mavi, Ferguson, Shakib bowled well notwithstanding the final. Cummins was bad. But, maybe we bring him back because he is Cummins. Southee was okay but irrelevant. I do not have that much confidence in Prasidh Krishna and Nagarkoti, but, if they improve let them stay.

The problem with saying who I want to keep or who I want out is that I do not know what is available. I would certainly go for Warner. Keep Morgan. Or if we need to free up money, then fire him.

People I like: Narine, Varun, Mavi, Ferguson, Shakib, Tripathi. The rest I do not care about that much.

Only one thing conclusively: Kick out Dinesh Karthik. He is past expiry date.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

https://cricketaddictor.com/ipl-2021/ip ... -ipl-2021/

Well 29 year olds are considered youngsters :D

WI have chosen Chris Gayle, but not Narine. Really surprising.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I'm not really a KKR fan. If there is a team I like and back, it is Delhi Capitals. The team of Viru, now the team of Shaw and Dhawan, Axar and Ashwin (I'm not that big a fan of Pant in T20s, but want him to do well too).

But one of the worst mistakes KKR have made over the years is to ignore the nursery ground of Bengal players (and others from the east like Assam, Odisha, Jharkhand). EVERY other IPL team has a decent stable of local players; KKR has none, so has to resort to calling Shakib a Bengali (which he is, but that doesn't make him a local as he is a foreigner). So yes, Srivats Goswami would have been a much better choice than DK, who is a has-been as a 'keeper (if he ever was any good; this year he was the worst of the IPL 'keepers by a long way), and particularly past his prime as a batsman as well.

KKR should of course retain Venkatesh Iyer, Gill, Cummins/Varun and Russell. Shakib did nothing this year to deserve retention. (I find many in the streets of Kolkata think "Borun Chokkoborty" is Bengali but of course he isn't :-) ).
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Shakib bowled well.

Again, I am a relative grading person. I would heartily replace every one of them if I get better players. The one player I know is a free agent is Warner. I hope KKR makes a play for him. Also, given the salary cap, you have to get value for money. So, it depends on how high the bidding goes. Team construction is a multi-objective optimization.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Surprisingly only three teams did not have any players from their home state in their starting 11. CSK, KkR and SRH.

CSK had few players from TN in their bench team, but SrH and KKR did not have any.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Hyderabad has been struggling in domestic cricket recently, but it's sad to see that SRH has followed the bad example of KKR in not choosing any local players (they could have picked from Hyderabad or Andhra). If you don't tap the local ecosystem, you're likely to be paying more.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

They could very well also go to the southeast corner of Maharashtra and northeast part of Karnataka and get some Telugu speakers or even non speakers to come over and try out. It would also get more fans for them, e.g., in Solhapur and would be a good PR strategy. Increasing the media market does not perhaps help them because the BCCI takes all the television money?
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Mumbai indians seems to be smart picking up for Brevis who was star in U19? Thry have Ishan Kishen , Rohit and Brevis . Need to see if he gets chance

Big payday for indians with guys like Harpreet , Anuj Rawat, Pirag making nearly 4 crore! Tewetia gets nearly 9 crore, while Rahul chahar, Ashwin and Chahal gets just around 5-6!

Not sure why CSk thought uthappam is 2 crore :p

Thank God, CSk did not win a bid for Sai Kishore. He would have languished.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

More mediocre players will lose motivation to work hard. :-(
Rajkumar Sharma
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Surprise to see the left armer Arjan Nagwaswala not getting bid, he was included in Test team as net bowler after doing well in the domestic
Rajkumar Sharma

Raina getting unsold is creating huge hype in the media but one has to remember that players retired from international cricket has to play domestic T20 cricket to proof their worth unless you are MS Dhoni. Raina had to play SMA Trophy 2022 to seek attention of the bidders.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Whatever. There is too much general hype. I welcome well thought out analytic articles but general hype is useless. Let the games begin and then we will figure things out.

Right now, the IPL teams just buy finished products. They should be given the rights to say 3 years at low cost minor league style. That way they will have an incentive to develop players and control them for some time. We need academies Barca style.
Rajkumar Sharma

IPL 2022 to be played in new format with 10 teams divided in groups
https://m.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/121 ... 022-groups

Group A - MI, KKR, RR, DC, LSG

Group B - CSK, SRH, RCB, PBKS, GT