Indian Premier League (IPL)

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Indian Premier League (IPL)

Post by prasen9 »

So now that the regular season is over, the following are the batting leaders by average (qual: 330 runs, avg./SR): Dhoni 89/157, Rahul 55/158, Karthik 55/149, Pant 53/174, Kohli 48/139, Rayudu 45/153, Dhawan 44/139. Kohli and Dhawan were relatively slow. Pant was exceptionally fast.

Incidentally, these seven would have been the top seven if I took a qualifying of 330 runs and sorted everyone by SR. Obviously, the order would be different.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

And the bowling records. Qual: 12 wickets, by average Avg/SR: Umesh 20.9/7.86, HH Pandya 21.16/8.92, Bumrah 21.88/6.88, Mishra 22/7.13, KH Pandya 23.66/7.07, Markande 24.53/8.36.

Among the Indian bowlers, the wicket takers (at low cost) have been three pacers. Among them Bumrah has been very economical, Umesh mediocre and Hardik very expensive. The two leggies Mishra and Markande make it. Mishra has been fabulous. He should have gotten more chances. And, KH Pandya did very well too. He should get a look into the T20I team or the A-team.

If we sort them by Economy Rate: Bumrah, KPandya, Mishra, Chahal, Umesh, S. Kaul.

Interesting to see Chahal and Kaul come in place of Hardik and Markande, who were expensive. Kaul took his wickets at 25.88 and Chahal at a poor-ish 30.25.

It has been an IPL for the medium pacers and leggies.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Very strange match last night between Sunrisers Hyderabad and CSK. The latter had been decimated by SRH bowlers (Rashid Khan, Bhuvi and Siddharth Kaul), but then Williamson asked Brathwaite to bowl the 18th over, and du Plessis took full toll to take CSK home. Kaul or Sharma would have been much more useful at that stage -- or even Shakib, who still had a couple of overs available. There was definitely a whiff of match-fixing in that result.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Rahane's slow scoring definitely did his team in today -- although the wrist-spin twins of KKR had something to do with their won too!
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

prasen9 wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:40 pm So now that the regular season is over, the following are the batting leaders by average (qual: 330 runs, avg./SR): Dhoni 89/157, Rahul 55/158, Karthik 55/149, Pant 53/174, Kohli 48/139, Rayudu 45/153, Dhawan 44/139. Kohli and Dhawan were relatively slow. Pant was exceptionally fast.

Incidentally, these seven would have been the top seven if I took a qualifying of 330 runs and sorted everyone by SR. Obviously, the order would be different.
Good to see Karthik showing that consistency he never had. I hope he gets opportunities in the England/Australia - that is where he will be best suited. If his opportunity is delayed till there is a series in SL or WI, then he will be done. Hope he gets lucky. If he is asked to bide his time, then he will fade out like Naman Ojha after 2 yrs.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

Another interesting side note is that 5 of the 7 are wicket keepers and 4 are the first choice for their team in current IPL.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Rashid Khan is a helluva cricketer. I fear for Rahane and his test side in the Bangalore test!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Bhuvi 3-1-9-0 in the IPL final, including 5 runs from an overthrow (without it, it would be 5 runs in 3 overs!!).
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Shane Watson has found form at last in the IPL final, and it is as good as over. Too many runs on the board with just one wicket down after 12 overs.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Apart from the stupendous innings by Pant, Nitish Rana and Yuvraj Singh played two very good innings. Rana 68 @ 145 and Yuvraj 53 @ 151 SR. Dhawan got a slow 43. Has Dhawan slowed down? Uthappa played a cameo 35 @ 130 and Krunal 32 @ 213.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

Couple of bad pointers for us in view of world cup in yesterday's matches.

Bumrah seemed to be badly injured on his left shoulder after falling down while bowling. I hope the injury is not serious.

Also Warner started with a super innings in his first since return. In the meantime, Aussies are 2-0 up easily against Pak in Dubai. If Warner and Smith come back to their form quickly, it is going to be a formidable batting line up for them at WC- Warner,Finch,Khwaja,Smith,Handscomb,Maxwell (maybe Shaun Marsh ahead of any 1 of them) is going to be very good.
RohitG
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by RohitG »

Warner and Smith will be super motivated too, they'll be out to prove a point and try to create a fresh milestone for themselves. Our management otoh is functioning like a typical sarkari office
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Ashwin mankaded Butler. I am thrilled. I love mankading. Mankading prevents cheating by the non-striker and prevents them from starting early. If you want to get out early, then you should be mankaded. If more people did it, the cheating would stop and mankading would also stop. Why is the non-striker cheating on a run not marked one short? Or should not be runout? Go Ashwin!
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Completely agree. I have never understood all the outrage. If you don't want to be out, don't leave the crease early.
Varma

Post by Varma »

Kudos to Ashwin for Mankading Butler. I have always liked Manakading. I don't know why it is often dubbed "unsportsmanlike". As such the bowlers start with a clear disadvantage in these shorter versions. The runners cheating them even more has to be stemmed. At least in T-20s there should be a new rule to warn the runner (by the umpire) with 3 warnings declaring him out. Additionally, any run initiated that way should not be counted (while the ball gets counted). Such changes can give some advantage back to the bowler in the versions that are too batsmen friendly.

- Varma