Indian Premier League (IPL)

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

jai_in_canada

Re: Indian Premier League (IPL)

Post by jai_in_canada »

I agree that the pitches should not be purely to enable batsmen to score runs.  It is bad enough that this instant-gratification version of cricket has taken the subtleties out of the game (heck, why not play Ten10?) if the pitch has nothing for the bowlers, you might as well just install ball machines so that the batsmen can whale away at runs.  I think it is as exciting to watch a wicket fall as it is to see a sixer.

nballa
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by nballa »

jai_in_canada wrote: I agree that the pitches should not be purely to enable batsmen to score runs.  It is bad enough that this instant-gratification version of cricket has taken the subtleties out of the game (heck, why not play Ten10?) if the pitch has nothing for the bowlers, you might as well just install ball machines so that the batsmen can whale away at runs.  I think it is as exciting to watch a wicket fall as it is to see a sixer.
not quite yet
people dont realize that the line between 20/20 and test cricket is pretty thin.
20 overs is still quite a lot and if you start off with brainless slogging you will end up with like 13/5 in the first 5 overs and then it becomes a matter survival for the next 15 ala test cricket and the match gets pretty boring. however its a different story if a team is 70/2 after 10 then the real T20 excitement kicks in. Thats why i have my doubts about the survival of this format. they market it as instant cricket but the same principles of one-day cricket apply (hold wickets till the final overs).

Also there is no passion/rivarly in these games and i dont think its gonna develop. i mean people in mumbai for example dont necessarily hate the bangalore team and vice versa and even if they did there is not quite enough regional representation for the rivalry to blossom - harbhajan is playing for mumbai and sreesanth is playing for punjab for gods sake. ind-pak was such a great rivalry because of the intense hatred among both countries. people tuned in to see india win but they cared little about "good cricket". but thats all changing now what with school kids sending "love letters" across the borders, what a piece of bologna.

usaindian

Post by usaindian »

i think ICL did a good job of trying to create a rivarly between indian teams and pakistani team.
i hope ICL wins in this race

PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I was on a flight (to London) and so missed the two matches yesterday (and will probably miss most of this week's matches too). But the Calcutta pitch yesterday seems to have been similar to the one that the WC1996 semifinal was played on -- although this was one was vicious right from the start, while that one turned vicious in the second half of the match (when India were batting). Pitches can provide some support to bowlers, but shouldn't be so venomous from the start (judging from what the reports are saying).

Zaheer Khan (2/17) and Shaun Pollock (0/17 in 4 overs, and 28 runs off 12 balls) seem to have distinguished themselves for opposite sides in the Bangalore-Mumbai match. Good to see Nehra's return (although he got hammered). The match went down to the wire, and Boucher probably deserved to be MoM after taking his side to a narrow win -- although the rest of the team did a good job too. 

prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I wonder why the groundsmen could not prepare a "better" (more consistent bounce) pitch.  There were no big matches at Eden in the recent past, was there?

-pm

Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sandeep »

The wicket at Eden gardens was horrible! The curator should be sacked for what he did! I wonder if Dalmiya got invovled, just like the way Sharad Pawar dished out a green track at Nagpur when AUS toured India :)

Laxman's captaincy was very poor!! When Sourav Ganguly gambled with part time spinners (Laxmi Ratan Sukla didn't bowl a single over), I don't understand what prompted Laxman to allow Symonds bowl his gentle medium pace when his spin bowling is also equally effective!! Anyways it was a good match between two very strong teams who look equal favourites at the moment.

Go Deccan chargers, we want a revenge when Knight riders tour Hyderabad on May 11th

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

TOI photograph -
[img width=600 height=380]http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Reposito ... 011800.jpg[/img]
Rahul Gandhi, along with Priyanka and Robert Vadra and their daughter, joins Shah Rukh Khan and his wife, Gauri, in applauding Kolkata Knight Riders, the team owned by the actor, during the IPL match against Team Hyderabad at the Eden Gardens on Sunday.

Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

Any Punjab or Rajasthan fans in our forum? I think it will be a one sided affair today. Kings should win this match easily. This is Royals first match on their home ground and it would be interesting to see the crowd support. All the stadiums except for Mohali were jam packed for their home team matches. Hope Jaipur follows Mumbai, Bangalore, Kolkata and not Mohali.

By the way, tomorrow is the first match for Deccan chargers on their home ground. They are facing Delhi daredevils. I am going to watch the match live. IPL is great. There were a maximum of may be 8 ODIs in the last 10 years  played at Hyderabad. But now I can watch all my heroes live in a span of one month (8 matches), great. I can't wait to watch Sachin in action against Deccan chargers at Hyderabad.

Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

IPL is planning a champions league (UEFA) style finale at Lords. The total prize money would be $5millions. The teams participating would be top 2 IPL teams plus leading domestic teams from England, Australia, South Africa and Pakistan. It was initially planned at Dubai's sports city but looks like the stadium will not be ready by August which is when the IPL officials are planning the league!

The big task infront of them is to convince ECB who for some strange reason is not very excited about IPL! If ECB is not too inclined, Australia should be a good choice.

akmohanty

Post by akmohanty »

Rajasthan bt. Chandigarh comfortably today, inspite of all odds. Great innings by Shane Watson. Looks like the teams are too close to call and no one can be discounted  :wink:

puneets

Post by puneets »

Looks like the U-19 kid Ravindra Jadeja played gem of an innings. He was ruthless against Lee and Sreesanth.
It was interesting to see the Jaipur crowd boo Sreesanth loudly, after his sledging (and usual antics) against Kaif and Akmal.

jaddu

Post by jaddu »

Actually , this Indian Premier League might turn out to be not so good for the Indian "Stars" as such . With the Australians/New zealanders/others now playing for Kolkata, Hyderabad, Chennai, Jaipur etc & winning Man-of-Matches , I think there would be fan bases emerging for these foreign players in india . Eventually , if the league is a success . this will result in Indian "Stars" losing some ( maybe a lot ) of their Ad-revenues to these new "locals" .

Here are MoM awars for the first six games :

Bangalore vs Kolkata              : BB McCullum ( New Zealand )
Delhi vs Jaipur                        : Maharoof ( Sri lanka )
Chennai vs Punjab                  : M Hussey ( Australia )
Kolkata vs Hyderabad              : D Hussey ( Australia )
Bangalore vs Mumbai              : Boucher ( South Africa )
Jaipur vs Punjab                    : Watson ( Australia )

Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

Good point jaddu about Indian players losing revenue. But I think it is fine if cricket is going to become more popular world wide. EPL was also revamped when the craze for soccer was at an alltime low and look at it now. I hope IPL also will reach that level with players all around the world eyeing a spot in these franchised teams.

May be top brass like Dhoni, Sachin, Sourav would lose a lot on ad revenues but majority of them are only going to gain (even Indian players). Money flow will obviously increase with the tournament getting older. It seems Shahrukh already is in the profit for the first year investment. Nokia has signed a 40 crores/year sponsorship for Knight riders and Reebok for another 45 crores/year. Revenue from ticket sales for each match is averaging 5 crores at Eden gardens. That means around 40 crores for 8 matches! These three combined would add upto 125 crores/year! This is excluding 65% TV revenues that BCCI promised to the teams and advertisements at the stadiums. Shahrukh owns this team for 5 years. He will definitely make huge profits. And this is based on the projections for the first year.

akmohanty

Post by akmohanty »

Good that they will be brought down to earth  :wink: Another way of looking at it is that it will make them raise their game to match the new "locals".

genius

Post by genius »

jaddu wrote: With the Australians/New zealanders/others now playing for Kolkata, Hyderabad, Chennai, Jaipur etc & winning Man-of-Matches , I think there would be fan bases emerging for these foreign players in india .
Baseless. man of the matches don't win you fans. exceptional skills does. That can only apply to a few like lara,warne and mcgrath. all retired i may add.

Most others are not exceptional and spectacular enough to have a fan base. may be a niche set of fans.

and they won't threaten the huge fans bases of indian players one bit realistically.