India in Australia 2007-2008

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: India in Australia 2007-2008

Post by prasen9 »

Yes, Kumble has been brilliant.  I hope he does not retire anytime soon.  The fielding was very ragged.  I don't know why they run in slow motion.  As it is cricket perhaps requires one to run every five minutes on average (on the field, except bowlers), and even when they have to run, these guys were running as if the opposition will not try to convert another run and time and time again the opposition did.  And somehow the ball had a way of finding its way to Ganguly and we were treated with his slow running.  The Aussies had strategized that everytime the ball goes to him, they will run the extra run and thus far their strategy is correct.  I was wondering why he was fielding at point (as was the commentator) and the boundary.  Could he not field at midon or midoff or some place where the ball comes less often?
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

The greatest spinner in Indian test history and the greatest unorthodox leg-spinner in all cricket history really set up the test series for his side on the very first day today. What a splendid bowling effort to put the Aussies on the back-foot. It happens so very rarely to the Aussies -- and virtually never at home in the past decade and a half. That Kumble has managed to peg Australia back onto the back foot on the very first day of the series is a HUGE credit to his abilities as one of the greatest bowlers of all time.
puneets

Post by puneets »

What a spell by Kumble! The kind of variation that he employed yesterday was a treat to watch. ZK too mixed it up and got important wickets. Together with RP, he bowled well in the first hour and both were very unlucky not to have a wicket apiece in that session. Though Bhajji is still wicket-less, I feel that he bowled really well.

India needs to wrap the innings first thing in the morning and then bat sensibly to post a big score. The ball isn't doing a whole lot and our batsmen should feel at home under such circumstances.  Game on!
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Kumble is proving to everyone that a bowler can become a captain and not over/under utilize himself. 

I did not see the match between India and Australia, but read at Cricinfo that Kumble did not place the fielders in proper places.  Any comments about field placements?
puneets

Post by puneets »

I did not see the match between India and Australia, but read at Cricinfo that Kumble did not place the fielders in proper places.  Any comments about field placements?
I think you are referring to the first session where we had a number of potential chances, with lots of edges flying through the vacant 3rd slip and gully region. Kumble didn't persist with the 3 slip and 2 gully field for long..and went for a more traditional field as soon as runs started coming for Australia. The commentators were of the view that Kumble should have persisted with the attacking field for some more time.
nballa

Post by nballa »

so when is our "bhajji" applying for canadian citizenship?
in the current form he can walk into their starting 11. what a player.
genius

Post by genius »

thank god you are back! you seem to be the only poster who is more unpopular than i am!

I would have taken chawla on despite lack of variety. But he seems to have injuries lately. But he is a promising lad who should be given experience vs the ebst.

I had predicted the pace bowling fiasco  lookin at the selection list itself .Can't believe a team of internationals take so long to see the same thing. 

The team is obviously apprehensive about Ishant's line and length which is immature at the moment. They may have feared he may release the pressure and probably that would have happened. HS ,i would guess, plays the containing role of not giving too much way. It would have been better if Munaf had his house and order. But he is plunging  headlong into disaster. he really needs some guidance and peptalk. 

I had hoped both Munaf and Sreesanth would come of age in this tour. So far it has been bad luck!

VRV is also an option .
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

genius, I agree with most of your post except the last line unless you meant VRV is an "option" for retirement.

Harb bowled well only to the extent that he kept the runs quiet.  Except for Hogg, he never troubled anyone such that he looked like getting a wicket.  He started slowing the pace down and half-flighting a bit in the latter overs.  I think Powar's loopy deliveries would have been more effective.  Chawla may not have been ready for combat right now but is a good prospect.  Ojha and Amit Sharma are budding ones too.  Harb must improve or go.

RP bowled well in the first hour and he never looked like getting a wicket either, Clarke chased one far off to get out.  I used to be a fan of his, but I have started to think that Ishant will be better.  Let us see him in I2 because he may just have been rusty.

If Kumble and Khan had not gotten the wickets they got, we would have been talking about how toothless Harb and RP's bowling werre now.  I guess the team's success rubs off on individuals too.
puneets

Post by puneets »

Dravid has already played 37 balls and is yet to open his account. He has had 2 lives already. One dropped catch and 1 caught off a no-ball.
gvhvhg

Post by gvhvhg »

This is absurd---theyre playing overly defensive cricket---the aussies would be picking up ones and twos every other ball---thats all Haydens innings consisted of

and in addition to not picking ones and twos---they are getting one of shots they should get two off of---two off of potential threes---in other words---horrendous running

The indian cricket team almost never fails to not back up a good performance....never fails to dissapoint me.
gvhvhg

Post by gvhvhg »

great innings by dravid 5(66) :roll:

5 runs off of an entire session. ABSURD!

31 for the whole innings.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Dravid is totally out of form.. And the only way to get him back to form is to banish him to 4th down.. And if that is not possible, drop him (i never thought i will say that)... his opening is a failure..

Probably open with Jaffer (sehwag ?) and VVS(sorry, he is in good nick and will probably do well), Ganguly at one down, SRT at 2 down, Yuvraj at 3 down and Dravid at 4...
genius

Post by genius »

The next generation of batsmen should be warned that weaknesses like running could cost them a place and may find themselves  marginalised.

There is little that can be done with the current group.

so far i have not found anyone to complain. how is tiwary or badrinath?

Powar is not a highquality bowler. it was evident right from the start and he was easily exposed by the aussies.

Chawla should be next up immediately.

Lee and Johnson gave nothing away. RPS and zaheer were not slightly as disciplined though zaheer looked dangerous.

Clark does not look dangerous except for the odd inswinger. They have to murder Hogg.Plain and simple.

fortunately sachin is out there with laxman.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Dravid's average in his "totally out of form" patch, if you take the last 5 matches is about the same as is what is an expected day for Jaffer, Dhoni and Yuvraj.  Dravid's bad patch fetches us 38 runs/innings as does J,D,Y's lifetime averages.  We should be patient before dropping him.  However, the captain should certainly have a word with him that his job is not only to hold one end up but to score some runs --- a start could be 2 runs/over.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

genius wrote: so far i have not found anyone to complain.
There is no point complaining for this obvious deficiency.  As you said there is no hope from this group.
Powar is not a highquality bowler. it was evident right from the start and he was easily exposed by the aussies.
In the two tests he played, he got 6 wickets at below 20 runs/piece albeit against lowly Bangladesh.  He is clearly not a ODI bowler but buys his wickets by flight and loop.  He needs time to work on the batsmen.  On this pitch, on the first day, there was not much for the spinners.  He would have been handy.  Powar did badly in the few overs he got in ODIs in very flat ODI pitches.
Chawla should be next up immediately.
Chawla was up and was shown to be useless in the last year by the English on Indian pitches.  I don't know if he has shown significant improvement.