Best Captain

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Who is the best captain in the WC?

Ricky Ponting
18%
Trent Johnston
12%
Stephen Fleming
53%
Graeme Smith
6%
Michael Vaughan
No votes
Habibul Bashar
No votes
Mahela Jayawardene
12%

Total votes: 17

sanjay8886
Please enter the middle number: 1

Best Captain

Post by sanjay8886 »

Obviously, not including RD, Inzamam and Brian Lara. They could be competing for the worst.
PKBasu

Re: Best Captain

Post by PKBasu »

Close contest between Fleming, Johnston and Jayawardene -- in that order, in my opinion. I voted for Fleming, but it was a close-run thing...
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

though I voted for mahela, jhonston was clearly a favourite...
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sandeep »

I have voted for Smith. I think he is doing a fantastic job carrying a bunch of 'chokers'! Not only he is leading from front, his bowling changes also were very clever.
sanjay8886

Post by sanjay8886 »

You definitely have to consider what kind of team you have and how well you are able to marshall your resources. Ofcourse, lots of thing are reflected in the results.

Many players felt as well that Stephen Fleming is best captain in the world but that was before Johnston arrived. Our polls seems to indicate Fleming is the best and probably he is.

English team just like India and Pak completely lacks team spirit. They do have great players in the team like Pietersen, Strauss, Flintoff, Anderson. Under Flintoff, they seem to be getting better result. Vaughan's own form has not been that great either.
sanjay8886

Post by sanjay8886 »

Stephen Fleming is quitting as ODI captain. For him, 5 WC semis is not a great result. For BCCI and Dravid, first round loss agianst BGL and SL is good enough to continue.

Having shown great result for a team which does not have any great players, it is a great feat from Fleming. He is rightly acknowldged by many as the best captain amongst present teams.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

sanjay8886 wrote: Stephen Fleming is quitting as ODI captain. For him, 5 WC semis is not a great result. For BCCI and Dravid, first round loss agianst BGL and SL is good enough to continue.
Did Felming retire becoz NZ failed in SF. Please see his quote below in cricinfo. You can put a very selfish spin on this quote too.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/wc2007/ ... 92255.html
"I've only just turned 34 and I think I've still got some good batting years ahead of me," he added. "So I want to concentrate on that for a while, and put a lot of energy into our Test cricket. In some ways your energy levels are sapped when you captain the side, and I want to play with a fresh mind, and finish off my career with some stats that I think I'm worth."

Why would anyone want to captain Indian team with all its pressure? May be BCCI is forcing Dravid to be a captain and he doesn't want to be? Unless we want to go back to Ganguly (who is clearly past his prime) or Sachin (we will be rewarding him for his mediocrity in WC), name one player who can take on the role of captain in our team? Kaif had a chance once, but he is not a regular.. And sehwag is totally out of form.. Or is it Dhoni? Zaheer Khan? or Kumble (who has retired from ODI and may not be interested).

Please note that I am not saying Dravid is a great captain or he should stay. I am just asking for alternatives.
Last edited by Kumar on Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shibi

Post by shibi »

Well said Kumar.
sanjay8886

Post by sanjay8886 »

Why can't Yuvraj be made a captain? Why can't Ganguly be made captain instead of Dravid? Afterall, every other team member is getting a punishment for non-performance in WC ins some way. What was so special about Dravid other than dividing the team and even failing to get past BGL. If you guys agree that Ganguly's captainship is better, then he is the right choice to bring sanity and groom Yuvi.
joquim

Post by joquim »

I think ricky ponting is undoubtedly the best captain.... i think he is doing a fantastic job as a captain.

joquim,
www.file27.com
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Who has been India's best test captain? Here are the numbers:
V KOHLI 68 40 17 11 58.82 16
MS DHONI 60 27 18 15 45.00 6
S GANGULY 49 21 13 15 42.85 11
M AZHARUDDIN 47 14 14 19 29.78 3
N PATAUDI 40 9 19 12 22.50 2
S GAVASKAR 47 9 8 30 19.14 3
Kohli is clearly on top. But, as we see, there is a clear temporal factor. The Indian team has gotten better over time. Except Pataudi-Gavaskar. Someone needs to normalize these numbers with the talent they got. To some extent, the captain is also responsible for getting the best out of their bowlers and batsmen. And, in the Indian context, back and choose the top players and give them the opportunity.

To me, Ganguly and Kohli were the most aggressive captains and I like that. Dhoni was a master reader of the game and was a good captain too. All three are very close. But, at the end, maybe in a nod to the numbers, I'll go with Kohli.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Just to add to this. Dravid and SRT were not good captains. I think Shastri and Rahane were decent ones although they did not get much of a chance.