Head coach of Indian cricket team

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

gbelday
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Who do you want to coach Indian cricket team?

Post by gbelday »

jayakris wrote:
I am trying to think like a shallow foreigner.

The so-called 5-star hotels still have toilets which clog, airconditioners that may be weak, and water that is not hot enough (with too much chlorine smell) ...
Jay
We don't need any shallow foreigner as a coach.  I am personally offended by his comments.  There may be some truth in what he has to say but I don't want someone like that to coach a sport that is pretty much followed by the whole country. 

I agree on the roads and air in Indian cities being bad but I don't agree that all 5 star  hotels in India are bad.  There are some spectacular ones in Rajasthan that we stayed in that are soooo much better than some of the so called 5 star ones in US (Palace sucks and so does Waldorf Astoria).  I've also had a very bad expericence in a hotel in London few years ago.  The service was lousy and the rooms were dingy (my company foot the bill otherwise I would have asked for a refund).  There was a recent article in one of the NY papers about bed-bugs found in a room in Waldorf Astoria - can't get worse than that.  I'll try to look up the link.

Having said all that, I just hope Gary is a good coach and India does well under him.  He is being paid a lot of money and I hope he doesn't go the Chappell way.
Sathya

Post by Sathya »

I do wish this guy Kirsten does well (I am not confident !). The least he should do is to keep the team united (unlike Chappel), then there should be some decent results.

I wish best of luck to Kirsten because if he fails, nobody will blame THAT STUPID POLITICIAN GAVASKAR ! But everybody will generalise the issue saying that Foreigner can not coach cricket team from India !

If Kirsten Fails, its actually the failure on the part of Board and f**** Gavaskar (my blood gets boiled when I think of what Gavaskar did with this coach selection process... suddenly he calls up mediocre coach called Emburey from England ... then he calls up kirsten.. I hate him equally as I hate KPS Gill)
Last edited by Sathya on Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

There was some footage of Gary Kirsten before the match, talking to Venky Prasad and Lalchand Rajput. He seemed to be having a fairly detailed conversation with Rajput. But his body language during the conversation with Venkatesh Prasad didn't seem right: he was standing with his hands in his pockets, legs apart (in a position/attitude of command) while talking to someone who was his contemporary in international cricket. Apartheid-era attitudes seem to die hard...although perhaps I shouldn't draw inferences from mere pictures.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

KPS Gill has inflicted much more damage than Gavaskar, but who knows if Kirsten grinds this team down, maybe Gavaskar will catch up.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Kumar wrote:Looking at his clearly lack of experience with coaching and his request for break during Australian tour, there is just no reason to select him as coach..  :kookoo:

Everybody was happy when Greg chappel became a coach, and he turned out to be not so great for indian team.. Letz hope the reverse happens this time.
Opening the old thread , as it becomes relevant...Who is going to be the next coach?
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Despite all the accolades being showered on Gary, I still do not think he has contributed a lot although it does seem it is a lot more than I am willing to give him credit for. I have already opined that, in my view, India's success is as much a result of the falling overall standards of others as it is of its own improvements. But, if all the players are acknowledging his contributions (I see most of the endorsements coming from batsmen though), then he must have done something right. The thing I have read most about him is his penchant for the "throwdowns" and that he is a great fitness role model. Not much more than that. Perhaps he got in Mike Horn, but I am not much of a believer in motivators at this level. Personally, I do not know what a coach does for a cricket team and don't even know if there is need for one. So I am VERY biased.

Batting has been carrying us but in the process, our perennial weaknesses of fielding and bowling get swept under the carpet. We are a one man bowling army (=Zaheer) and while he has been good in his opening spells, his later spells are less spectacular. But still, he is world class which in itself is a HUGE achievement for any Indian bowler.

Therefore, I go back to my preference -- we need a bowling coach. We also need a fielding coach. Since we cannot teach old dogs new tricks easily, I hope that as the old guard changes, the new ones are at least aware, amenable, and malleable to the needs of what today's good fielder needs.

Who can be that coach? I would go for Shane Warne. He will probably be willing too. He is more than just a bowler though his behavior is sometimes borderline bizzare. Others? Wasim Akram, Allan Donald? Maybe Murali? Does Ian Botham coach? Ambrose? Can't think of many. Some of these have zero coaching resume, so I don't know if these are right choices but I am not sure if it is a prerequisite to have coaching experience. I do believe that we cannot have an Indian coach because our demi-Gods will just not be willing to listen to anything he would be saying. And I don't know if we have good bowling coaches.

Kumar, you should get rid of the last poll and start anew.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Gary Kirsten turned out to be absolutely superb, very much in the John Wright mould -- working quietly behind the scenes, acknowledging he was working with a bunch of geniuses who needed to be tweaked and motivated (not formally coached) in order to get the best out of them. He did phenomenally well with this approach, taking India to the top of the world rankings in Test cricket, and winning the World Cup in ODIs. We couldn't have asked for more.

The next coach needs to be very much in a similar mould. Dav Whatmore seems one who would fit in, and perhaps Tom Moody -- but I would be particularly skeptical about any Aussie. (Whatmore was born in Sri Lanka, so seems a bit more culturally attuned to the subcontinent). I don't see why we shouldn't consider the likes of Sandeep Patil. Lalchand Rajput was very good too -- taking us to the T20 world title -- but he seems best as assistant coach. I agree that we do need more help with bowling, so a hands-on bowling coach would be invaluable.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

How about poaching Allan Donald? Fiery, uncompromising, very bowling & fielding oriented, has a coaching resume, would instantly command respect.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

PKBasu wrote:Gary Kirsten turned out to be absolutely superb, very much in the John Wright mould -- working quietly behind the scenes, acknowledging he was working with a bunch of geniuses who needed to be tweaked and motivated (not formally coached) in order to get the best out of them. He did phenomenally well with this approach, taking India to the top of the world rankings in Test cricket, and winning the World Cup in ODIs. We couldn't have asked for more.
Rightly said PKB. I was one of those skeptics who didn't value (understand) Gary's contribution. Looks like he did a lot more than just leaving Sehwag alone :). The more I read about him, the more I am beginning to understand why he has been so succesful with our team. Nice article on the cricinfo site.

'We knew we were going to win' - Kirsten
http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc_cricket ... 09560.html
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Yep. We were all wrong about Kirsten and Gavaskar. Thank you Gary Kirsten.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

In surprising and quick decision the BCCI's Working Committee declared new head coach.

The former England coach and former Zimbabwe captain Duncan Fletcher will replace Gary Kirsten as India's coach ... They r also continuing Eric Simons' tenure as the team's bowling coach.

Fletcher will be on a two-year contract.
PKBasu

Re: Duncan Fletcher - New coach of Indian cricket team

Post by PKBasu »

I was wrong in my initial impression of Kirsten, so I could be wrong about Duncan Fletcher too. But this looks like a retrogade appointment to me. I would have much preferred Andy Flower.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Yes PKB, I also feel that we retrograde selecting Duncan Fletcher ... We unnecessarily hurried selecting him.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Add me to the "retrograde" list. This is a 'safe' appointment, I'd have preferred someone more aggressive.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

:kookoo: