Head coach of Indian cricket team

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Head coach of Indian cricket team

Post by prasen9 »

I do not think the Australian captain has veto power over Lehmann (and the selectors). I think this is an Indian/sub-continent phenomenon and the fact that coaches in cricket are a recent fact whereas coaches in basketball and football have been calling the shots forever. Cricket is unique in that the captain has to decide on the bowlers and the batting order. In India, long-standing tradition was that the team management chose the final XI during away tours and that often included the manager, the coach, and the captain. The selectors chose the XI in home games. If I remember correctly, Dhoni is the one who argued that captains should be given a say in choosing the XI and now instead of it being one vote out of 6-7 votes, it has now become the only vote it seems! Dhoni had special interest in doing that because his company was managing the careers of several youngsters and if they were in the team, then his bank balance would be fattened. This is the conflict of interest Ramachandra Guha pointed out. Although, it may not have been Dhoni but Ganguly who concentrated power in the captain after he returned. I am not sure. Others may comment if they remember. But, I distinctly remember that the final call in the XI for home games was taken by the selection committee in the 90s and before for sure. I don't know if money changed hands from Dhoni to the selectors for them to relinquish power and let Dhoni's players in --- this is a conjecture, but, that is what you get if you indulge in nefarious deals. You cannot be the captain of the cricket team, having a vote or a veto now wrt players being in the XI as well as have a company that represents junior players. If you do, then conspiracy theories are fair game. There is a reason why conflict of interest should be avoided. Does Kohli have a similar company? Then this matter stinks. If not, it is just ego.
rajitghosh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by rajitghosh »

Kohli had a fabulous home season. Naturally success has got into his head and he feels he can say whatever he feels like. With a lot of away matches coming up in conditions where Indians traditionally don't do well, by next year, Kohli would probably be in a mess. I wonder what kind of arrogance he would show then.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I think with everything things are more nuanced. Kohli said that he never said anything about the coach until he was asked. I believe he is saying the truth. If so, then he did not really do anything wrong. After his views came out, Kumble would possibly not reconcile.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Re: National Team Players (India)

Post by Kumar »

Going to use this thread to talk about our next coach.

https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/news ... 04709.html
The sources in the know of the development said that head coach Ravi Shastri, bowling coach Bharat Arun and fielding coach Sridhar Virat will not be in charge of the team post ICC T20 world cup. However, batting coach Vikram Rathore may continue to remain on the post
If I had to assume, one coach who would be retained, my bet would have been on the bowling coach. There is really no reason to retain Rathore considering our (lackof ) batting performance in the past two years

I have a feeling that Shastri departure may be a case of ‘beware what you wish for’. Will be interesting to see who will be the favorite. Dravid was rumored to be not interested

The BCCI refuted the news about Rohit being white ball captain
prasen9

Re: National Team Players (India)

Post by prasen9 »

Kumar, maybe we should talk about it here: India Coach Thread. Perhaps a good mod will move the two posts there and change the title by dropping 2017?

The entire set should be fired and the new coach be allowed to choose his team of support staff. Maybe Rathore came in later and has a contract and the BCCI does not want to eat his contract and pay him?
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

prasen9 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:24 am Kumar, maybe we should talk about it here: India Coach Thread. Perhaps a good mod will move the two posts there and change the title by dropping 2017
Done Prasenjit .. :)
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Thanks Jaydeep amd Prasenjit

Just noticed that i had started this thread 14 years back and the names on the list then included Shastri!
jaydeep wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:58 am I also added Ravi Shastri's name in the poll ... :devil:

Wasim Akram believes Ravi Shastri will be great coach for Indian team .. ;)

Jaydeep.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Ha ha ... What started as a joke then turned into reality ... Scary ... :tomato:
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Actually, I still maintain Shastri is not that bad. I would not hire him but he is okay. I hope Ganguly and co. look at some top young, modern coach and get him. The problem is that cricket does not seem to have very many of them. I was a fan of Dav Whatmore. John Reid and Gary Kirsten were fine too. Now, I do not know. Justin Langer is not that great. The English coaches are so so. Who is the NZ coach anyway? South Africa is in doldrums. WI is gone. SL is moving backwards. Bangladesh coach seems to be doing fine. Maybe interview him.

Truly, I have no idea which young, modern coach has been doing well.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

I don’t think the next coach will have the level of success Shastri had. I generally think Shastri has a huge luck factor, that things generally works out well for him.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Shastri did make the players comfortable and believe in themselves. He took the pressure and stress off of some. They have spoken out about it. Now, of course, we expect every coach to do so but at least he did some things. The BCCI is looking into Kumble or Laxman as the next head coach. This is clearly Ganguly showing who is the boss and bringing back the traditional structure in place as it should be. The coach should be the head honcho and not the captain per se. That's the way it has usually been until the Kohli power grab. Kumble to return?

I do think Kohli was a good captain in some aspects. I like his focus on fitness. I like his aggression and his insisting that we need five bowlers (in most tests but not all; I think that decision should be taken based on the situation). Etc.

I would want Dhoni to be the coach.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Shastri to not seek extension. Defends his book launch :roll:

https://www.dawn.com/news/1647165
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

What else do you expect? It's Shastri.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Looks like Dravid may end up coaching.
https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/ ... 68770.html

I am really not enthused. I don’t think he has in it him to manage egos like Shastri.he has no major success other than spotting and grooming talents. We maybe back to Shastri or Dhoniat the end of next World Cup.

I still can remember India worst performance in recent WC history was with him as captain. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Also why is there age limit for the coach? Unless, BCCI were to extend this age limit, looks like Shastri extension was never on cards!

https://indianexpress.com/article/sport ... s-7570990/

This article says it is stopgap, so lot of confusion