Australia's tour of India

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Australia's tour of India

Post by Sin Hombre »

Bhuvi will play more in tests as we go to SA and England.

His IPL-driven reinvention has been in the limited overs format.

Ashwin's route back to the ODI team is hard to see; Jadeja is also an incredible fielder and capable of scoring a quick 20-30 so he will be back in the team.

Overall, our issues in the middle order continue. Manish Pandey in particular but also Jadhav are running out of chances. As I have said before, I would like to see Pant and Krunal Pandya given a chance in those positions (and move Dhoni up to 4).
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Move Dhoni up to #4 and do what SH says. If not, then we need to try other people. Rayudu did not do badly, I think. Or someone like Iyer should be brought in.

If we have Pandya at #7 and Bhuvi at #8, Jadeja's bat although it would give 30-35 runs/innings, is not that necessary. His fielding is worth something though. If the two who are in now keep bowling as they have done, I cannot see any way of pushing them out. Develop Kuldeep's batting. Let us see who cannot keep up the pace and then that person will be out. Manish Pandey started well but he is going downhill. Ditto for Kedar. Kedar can bowl a bit. So, I think he should have a slightly longer rope.

Pandey has got only 9 outs. We should give people at least 20 so as to see them in different pitches and conditions and then decide. Some of the young players take time to figure things out. Kedar bhai has got 15 outs. He should be given this series and a bit maybe.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Pandya at #4 worked rather well yesterday, and Manish did well at #6 too.
Hardik can do no wrong in any format at the moment -- at least in the subcontinent. A key test for him will be on overseas tours, starting with South Africa. If he continues to succeed, we have the successor to Kapil Dev (perhaps even to Vinoo Mankad).
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

"even"? Kapil was marginally worse than Mankad with the bat and much better with the ball. Overall, I would rate Kapil to be our #1 all-rounder all-time.

This Indian team has quite a few youngsters.

Young: Kuldeep (22), Bumrah, Axar, Hardik (23), Rahul (25)
Old: Dhoni (36), Kedar (32), Dhawan (31), Rohit (30), Umesh (29)

A pretty set team. Interesting to see that the young guys are mostly bowlers and the old ones are mostly batsmen with one exception in each. That is to be expected because batsmen often have their golden years near 30 years age and bowlers before.
rajitghosh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by rajitghosh »

It is too early for comparisons. Let Hardik not go the Irfan Pathan way.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Irfan Pathan won us the T20 world championship (as MoM in the 2007 final), won us a test at Perth (MoM again), and began a test in Pakistan with a hat-trick (finishing the innings with a 5-for). "Ending up like Irfan" isn't such a bad thing!!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

prasen9 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:11 am "even"? Kapil was marginally worse than Mankad with the bat and much better with the ball. Overall, I would rate Kapil to be our #1 all-rounder all-time.
Vinoo Mankad won us our first five test victories. He performed in a team that were a hopeless bunch of losers, batting at every position in the order. His bowling average is what you are looking at, but he got to the allrounder's double of 100 wickets and 1000 runs faster than Kapil -- despite the fact that his best cricketing years were taken away by World War II. India played very few tests in those days, separated by many years. Vinoo Mankad was our greatest ever test allrounder, a far better batsman than the rest of his team-mates for most of his career, and a far better bowler than all his bowling mates other than Subhas Gupte. About Kapil, it can be said that he was a better bowler than the rest of his team throughout his career, but he would rarely have made the test team solely as a batsman.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I do not know what the point is in bringing in Nehra for the T20Is. We should have tried one of Unadkat and Sran. If you want pace, maybe Sran, who is 6'3" tall, although maybe not much faster than Unadkat. Nehra is a bad fielder, will be injured soon, and the matches he plays will not really help us because he will most possibly not play in the next WC. Actually, Bhuvi could also do with a rest and we could have given Sran some practice to see if he cuts it against decent opposition. He did not do too badly in the two T20Is he got.

Kuldeep and Bumrah look great. Chahal is doing fine too, but, I think Mishra is perhaps still the #1 leggie for T20Is. But, Mishra is a horrible fielder. How bad is Chahal in the field? He is not a good fielder either, but, maybe he is faster than Mishra?
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

What is the point in playing Dhawan and resting Rahul? Dhawan is an exceptional ODI player and a decent test player --- possibly in reasonable conditions. But, I don't recall any significant heroics from him in T20Is or even IPL. We should be playing Rahul. He is the future. Here's hoping Kedar and Pandey pick up the reigns. Otherwise, we should play Mandeep and Pant, who did okay in the chances they got.
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

Also Rohit Sharma has still not figured out how to bat in T20s as an opener. He gets into a hitting mode from ball 1 and too often the team pays the price. He should realize that his job is to protect Kohli from the new ball and the runs will come subsequently. Surprising that after playing umpteen T20Is, he has not figured this out, nor has anyone tried to make him understand.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

At least he has scored some runs in T20Is. He averages around 30 at a SR of 131. That is not bad. But, Dhawan has failed all the time and he is still there.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

For the five ODIs Australia will play before the WC in India, I would prefer the following team:

Mayank, Rahul, Iyer, Shankar, Gill, Pandey, Pant, Axar, Siraj, Khalil, Washington
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Given the 15, I would play:

Rohit, Dhawan, Rahul, Rayudu, Shankar, Kedar, Pant, Kuldeep, Chahal, Kaul, Bumrah.

Rest Dhoni. We need to see if Rahul, Shankar, Rayudu, and Pant can cut it or not. Give them five matches. Ditto for Kaul.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

T20I coming up.

My XI would be: Rohit, Dhawan, Rahul, Karthik, Pant, Shankar, Krunal, Kuldeep, Markande, Kaul, Umesh

Imho, no point playing Dhoni, Kohli, and Bumrah.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Pant, Karthik, Pandya did us in. It is also sad to see Dhoni hit 1 six, 2-3 singles and a 2 in the last 3 overs with Chahal in which he gave Chahal 3 balls. Why refuse the 2 off the 2nd-last ball? Dhoni is a good runner. Run hard for 2. Chahal gets runout of the 2nd last ball. So be it. If you think you are going to get run-out, run one short or whatever. He does not have the skills to be a finisher anymore. At least consistently. This low score is not on him. As I said, it is on Pant, Karthik, and Pandya. But, Dhoni could not hit us out of trouble either :-( For a player of his calibre, sad deterioration. He has to bat at #4.