Sourav Ganguly - One of our Greatest Captains!

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

rajitghosh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Sourav Ganguly - One of our Greatest Captains!

Post by rajitghosh »

I would love to read what he says about his school. As his school junior I have a special interest in that. At school he was a good football player. In fact Xaviers had a good football team in those days. In cricket he was a decent batsman but had a tendency to get run out too often. He was known more as a bowler. It was big news when he went to the MRF pace academy for trials. He got rejected. It is ironical that he would go on to open India's bowling with Javagal Srinath. He was a good student and generally liked by the teachers. Of course people knew him a Chandir Chele (son of Chandi Ganguly, secretary of CAB, those days the most powerful cricket association in the world (yes that is not an exaggeration, remember a certain Jaggu Dalmiya). Comparisons were inevitable with his brother Snehashish. In those days also he played for a club in Calcutta either Kalighat or Aryan, I forget which one. Summers he would go and play in England. He made his Ranji debut in the match in which Bengal won it's 2 nd Ranji title and became an instant star. Comparisons started being made with another man who had been rejected by the MRF pace academy. Finally he was selected for the Australia tour and it was all over. The idiot Ravi Shastri accused him of not carrying water and he was banished.......
Omkara
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Omkara »

Oh he is the guy who spread that rumor. The enimity is quite old.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Man, I always wanted to ghost-write this book, but Gautam Bhattacharyya has done it superbly, judging from the extract. I need to get the book pronto!
PKBasu

Re: Sourav Ganguly - One of our Greatest Captains, now heading the BCCI

Post by PKBasu »

So Sourav Ganguly is back -- now at the helm of the BCCI. His dad was a cricket administrator, but was always a distant second to Jagmohan Dalmiya when it came to the CAB. Dalmiya was treasurer, secretary, president of CAB -- and used that to propel himself to secretary of the BCCI, president of the BCCI and the first non-white President of the ICC. Chandidas Ganguly was assistant secretary when Sourav was a boy, later become treasurer, secretary and vice president of the CAB as Dalmiya moved up. But he didn't even become president of the CAB. His younger son did, and now fortuitous circumstances have propelled Sourav to the presidency of the BCCI -- albeit only for 10 months.

Just as Ganguly took over the Indian captaincy at a time of utter turmoil following the match-fixing scandal, he now takes over the BCCI at a time of turmoil and chaos. Perfect circumstances for Sourav to stamp his mark and authority on the organisation, and become its most powerful player for years to come. Players must be thrilled to finally have a real player at the helm of the BCCI (Vizzy was the first Indian captain to be president of the Board, but Vizzy should never have played for India, leave alone being captain!).
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Two major problems to solve in terms of the COA and Kohli/Dhoni/Shastri running the show with no accountability.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

And the fact that the undeserving scions of Indian politicians are now the secretary and treasurer. I hope Ganguly can manage these tools and make important changes but I am don't have much hope. The rich and the powerful always come out ahead. See Guatemala (and cicig). Life is a tragedy!
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Ganguly era as president will come to end (shrouded in politics) ans Binny is expected to take over. Seriously Ganguly performance as BCCI left a lot to be desired from team performance perspective. He seem to play a role in captain or coach selection. He let his personal battle with Ravi Shastri influence some of his decisions and his treatment of Kohli appears to be flawed as well.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

He refused to fight Bengal elections and hence was shown the way.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

prasen9 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:34 am And the fact that the undeserving scions of Indian politicians are now the secretary and treasurer. I hope Ganguly can manage these tools and make important changes but I am don't have much hope. The rich and the powerful always come out ahead. See Guatemala (and cicig). Life is a tragedy!
So trueb
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Binny is a nice guy. Let's see.

But, you have to remember at least on the books, the secretary is the most powerful at the BCCI and the president a bit ceremonial. Dada, using his name, could have done more. But, he is also from a cricket administration family that was political in the cricket administration spheres. I am glad he did not want to get into real politics.

Anyway, Ganguly kept the board stable, made some mistakes, but did not do much. I think it is a good thing to give someone else a chance. Binny is too nice I think and soft. I do not think he will impose himself and make the changes that are needed. To be honest, the BCCI has done things and does things reasonably well. The NCA, the A-team tours, etc. are working to an extent while not perfect. Hope Binny takes up these and improves them. We also need to exert more power in the ICC and get what is good for us. But, I doubt Binny will play hardball. Too much of the ICC's media presence is controlled by English and Aussie interests and their colonial/racist overtones unfortunately. I have no hopes Binny will clean that up either.

Let's move on.
Rajkumar Sharma

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Binny is a puppet. BCCI will now run by Jay Shah. Political peoples already finished soccer, now IPL money is attracting them to destroy Cricket