All about SR Tendulkar

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

All about SR Tendulkar

Post by PKBasu »

Sachin Tendulkar has so far scored 4 runs off 31 balls in this series against South Africa (batting average 2, strike rate 12.9). In his previous five innings, he averaged 26 at a strike rate of about 78 against a mediocre Sri Lankan bowling attack. So, in his last 7 ODI innings, Tendulkar is averaging 19.57 at a strike rate of 68.5.
He no longer bowls, and is one of the weaker fielders in one of India's best fielding sides ever. There is little doubt that, on objective criteria applied to any other cricketer, Tendulkar should now be dropped.
There will be howls of protest in this forum and elsewhere at the very idea of such a suggestion. Some will protest that Sehwag too has had a "lean patch" with the bat -- when in fact he was averaging 31 (with a strike rate of over 100!) even during this lean patch, and of course was an important strike bowler who picked up crucial ODI wickets in almost every match.
There can be no doubt that Sachin Tendulkar is the greatest ODI batsman produced by India, and perhaps among the 2 or 3 greatest ODI batsmen ever (Bradman, Trumper, Compton never played ODIs so we can only choose from among batsmen who played between 1974 and today). But all good things must come to an end, and Sachin needs to see the writing on the wall (as do his countless blind fans). His body is no longer letting him bat the way he was accustomed to, and it is sad seeing a great cricketer reduced to scratching around aimlessly -- and keeping aspiring youngsters (Raina, Venugopal Rao, Gambhir etc.) out of the team.
Last edited by jayakris on Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
*sridinats*

Sachin Tendulkar - time for the great man to call it a day?

Post by *sridinats* »

Sadly we seem to be discussing the need for setting up seperate forums for different series and no one seems to be giving a nod for that and yet within a flash new and xtremely trivial threads seem to pop up on this forum...today its Sachin form...tomorro i am sure there wil b a thread saying Rahul's avg drops down by 1 whole point due to captaincy so shud he be sacked!?!?!?!?!...

I understand if i am not interested i need not post but surely if such xtremely needless threads pop up there is certainly room for discussin cricet that actually takes place around the world in different threads!!!!!!!!
Sridhar
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

basu;

Your bengali spirit is making you say all this.
nothing more.(btw,U have a good friend in the west bengal state cabinet too) :D :D :D
*sridinats*

Post by *sridinats* »

for whatever it's worth

SANDEEP WHERE R U????
PKB SURELY CANT GET AWAY WID THIS :)

Sridhar
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I have no friend -- good or otherwise -- in the West Bengal state cabinet.

Sachin's performance (or lack thereof) speaks for itself; he should be judged by the standards applied to everyone else; even Gavaskar was dropped during the 1983 World Cup, but it is obviously blasphemy to even suggest such a thing about Sachin (judging from Sridhar's post; there is a vast difference between Dravid -- India's best batsman in either form of the game in the past 2 years, and a repeated match-winner -- and the quasi-passenger that Sachin is becoming). I watched all 22 excruciating balls in his innings today. His hanging on in the side is reminding me of Gundappa Vishwanath, who unnecessarily sullied his stellar record by sticking around for 2 years longer than he should have. He even got a 222 (his career best!) towards the end of that phase, but it was apparent to the discerning observer that he was way past his prime and really quite unworthy of his place in the side during that phase.

Sachin has not quite fallen to where Vishy was during that 2-year period. But Sachin's batting both in tests and ODIs is a pale shadow of his former self. His body has taken a battering over the past 16 years, and it just doesn't make sense for him to keep testing it to its limits and beyond anymore.
*sridinats*

Post by *sridinats* »

PKBasu wrote:I have no friend -- good or otherwise -- in the West Bengal state cabinet.
PKB i think jimmy was referrin to the feud going on in W.B. wid politicians sayin they wont attend the cal. match if Ganguly aint playing and how some of them have equated him wid Tendulkar in terms of form....atleast i hope thts the case!!

as for the rest of your bit....... ................

Sridhar
p.s. will fill tht space once Tendulkar acts as an obstacle to the Indian team's success
SriramP

Post by SriramP »

:damn

Silly thread....!

Nevertheless, want to say one thing about Sachin's fielding that PKB goes on n about at the slightest opportunity....Sachin Tendulkar along with Ajit Agarakar are two of the best outfielders in the current Indian team...! He is one of the safest catchers, no doubt...! When was the last time you saw Sachin drop a catch...??? Please stop whining at the slightest opportunity....!
Last edited by SriramP on Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*sridinats*

Post by *sridinats* »

junk2000 wrote::damn

Silly thread...
:)
Sridhar
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sandeep »

I stopped replying to PKB's posts on Sachin!! I am sorry but for me those things absolutely doesn't make any sense!! Over a period of time what I observed is PKB gets carried away easily with current situation (I may be wrong). He saw Irfan Pathan only on subcontinent and he already passed a judgement tht his defense is impeccable!!! And that statement has come from a man who has been following cricket for almost 3 decades!!! PKB, in all your experience haven't you seen ppl playing superbly in subcontinent but has no clue on foreign pitches. I am not saying Irfan is bad but obviously you can't make a statement something like that after just 7 to 8 ODI's and tht too on subcontinent!

He gives undue importance to strike rates!! Yes, in oneday strike rate is very imporatnt but again it is not some big achievemt to have a atrike rate of 100!! A player should be able to play accoring to situation and tht is wht important.

PKB twists stats according to his convinience and posts them here! Other wise what logic can explain posting Sachin's stats taking out first two onedays against SL while including Sehwag's couple of half centuries and bloating his average and make it seem like he is better than Sachin. And just to prove how wrong PKB is (he thinks Dravid is better ODI batsman than sachin in last 2 to 3 years), here are the stats of noth these batsmen in last 100 ODI's (Tht roughly should make 2 to 3 years)
Mat Runs HS BatAv 100 50 W BB BowlAv 5w Ct St

100 4333 152 49.80 12 23 46 5/50 36.58 1 22 0
100 3276 109* 43.68 4 27 - - - - 75 8
Top is Sachin's and the bottom one is Dravid's. That should tell the story. Sachin scored 1000 runs more than Dravid in same number of ODI's with an average of nearly 50!!!! He has scored 12 centuries in the same period! And he compares him with Dravid and declares tht Dravid is the best. How absurd can it get! I hope he realizes what he is saying!!!
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

sachin got out cheap today again
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

nothingnew wrote:

PKB twists stats according to his convinience and posts them here!
I hope he realizes what he is saying!!!
I found out pkb's aversion for sachin a few weeks back.

at that time , he gave a lame excuse that what he meant was that now,indian fielders have become so good in fielding that even players like sachin can be considered as 'not so good' .
Last edited by jimmy on Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SriramP

Post by SriramP »

intelsat wrote:sachin got out cheap today again
and so did Dravid in both matches and so will the others in the next few matches...! That doesn't prove anything....!
India1989

Post by India1989 »

Yes I agree with PKBasu. Sachin isn't doing that good now. He should be rested for some matches. THen he might make a good come back. He isn't scoring good enough runs.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sandeep »

Guys, was moving all the posts from general cricket thread to here. Found this amusing post from PKB, this was way back in 2003
Is it time to think the unthinkable?
Sachin has had an atrocious year in test cricket. In 6 innings (4 matches) he has scored a paltry 72 runs at an average of 12. The shot he played today (which I was able to watch on video streaming) was atrocious, a clear reflection of a complete lack of confidence.
Perhaps we should replace him with Sehwag in the middle-order, and allow Ramesh to open (unless of course Sachin gets a big century in the second innings at the Adelaide Oval).
Of course it will never happen, regardless of what Sachin does in the second innings.
PKB, a question for you. Did you ever think Sachin deserved a place in Indian team? Or is it tht you were vouching for his retirement right from 1989 :) .
India1989

Post by India1989 »

No I didn't say that Sachin don't deserve a place in the team. He is a world class player out of many in the Indian team. That's why he is compared to Bradman. He is like the best. But now he is at his low. I meant that he needs some rest. That's what I said. He should be rested just like other people are rested.