Seperate threads for series not involving India?

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Do we need different threads for each series played (when India is not involved) ?

Poll runs till Sun Oct 06, 2041 11:58 pm

Yes
53%
No
47%

Total votes: 17

Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sandeep »

Sandeep - you siad a 6-6 tie above. I just posted NO, and even after that it is showing a 5-8 loss for the NO vote. What happened here?
Jay, two of the members voted yes by mistake. The question before I rephrsased it was a bit confusing and some people understood it as the poll was to decide if we need seperate "thread" to discuss series in which India is not involved.
BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by BSharma »

The recent creation of new cricket threads was a mixed blessing for me. On the one hand I saw better organization of the contents in the cricket forum, but on the other hand it gave me a chance to stay away from reading some inappropriate discussions in a few threads.

I consider several forum members to be very knowledgeable about cricket, and many readers including me find their posts a delight to read. I have learned a lot about batting and bowling techniques, recent changes about fielding, pitch preparation, strategies, selection of the team, strengths and weaknesses of many players, etc via this forum. I believe that much can be gained from discussing whether Ganguly or Sachin should be in the Indian team or not, and I enjoyed reading the analyses put forth by the members in favor of or against the players. However, readers like me lose interest once the same arguments get repeated over and over again, and it becomes worse when the discussion degenerates into name calling.

Guys (and gals), you are among the best cricket fans and the most knowledgeable ones, and I hope that you can rise above petty quarrels and show to people what a good cricket forum should be like. I look forward to reading your scholarly posts about cricket and wish to continue my learning process.

Please make the cricket forum vibrant, interesting and unique with your posts. :D
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

However, readers like me lose interest once the same arguments get repeated over and over again, and it becomes worse when the discussion degenerates into name calling.
I agree with you Bsharma, but to be honest these things are inevitable discussions when something is very popular. We have seen tht happening incase of Sania Mirza. From one single thread to a forum! The kind of topics discussed changed drastically. I need not speicifically talk about how popular cricket is in India and the demi god status of our cricketing heroes. I don't think we can avoid discussing about sachin and Sourav being in the team. But yeah as you said name calling can be avoided. The best thing we as moderators can do is demarcate and differentiate constructive discussion from cliche stuff.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

I have been away last couple of days and the first page of new posts has '6' cricket threads :cry: !!! And with the popularity of cricket, I won't be surprised if this number increases in the coming days....
India1989

Post by India1989 »

Why don't we do this? A thread for completely Indian matches. whatever matches they play, tournament or world cup. Then another thread for all the matche played by other countries. This is much more easier. Just two threads. Leave other like Sixes cricket and stuffs over here. THey are different forms of cricket.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

6 is not much I guess, though it may increase further in future.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

The recent creation of new cricket threads was a mixed blessing for me. On the one hand I saw better organization of the contents in the cricket forum, but on the other hand it gave me a chance to stay away from reading some inappropriate discussions in a few threads.
What is the negative side to it? :devil:
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

What is the negative side to it? :devil:
Kumar,

I could read some of the cricket threads that had useful information for me without having to read the same stats being put forth over and over again to justify Sachin or Ganguly's exclusion or inclusion in the Indian team. :) Earlier there was only one cricket thread and going through the posts resulted in wading through some on-going personal battles.

Instead of a mixed blessing, it was a win-win situation for me. Thanks to Kumar for pointing it out to me. :D

I hope you get to see the cricket match in Chennai. :D

Addendum:

I noticed that you have put some information in another cricket thread that persistent rains in Chennai will make the match unplayable today. :(
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

And there were six posts in the last 6 hours, out of which 4 posts were in 4 cricket threads!!! :devil: