Old Cricket Thread ...

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

noname101
Please enter the middle number: 1

Is Sachin a match winner?

Post by noname101 »

hurraaay...now sourav will be brought back in a jiffy...all sins(??) forgiven...welcome back captain!
funny, coz the media pressure made the bcci pussycats throw him out and now the media's exaggerated coverage is gonna bring him back...i just love the media...cant they just take over the BCCI in a bloodless coup.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sandeep »

funny, coz the media pressure made the bcci pussycats throw him out
Bcci never threw sourav out!!!! He was banned by ICC
Triple N

Post by Triple N »

Bcci never threw sourav out!!!! He was banned by ICC
i think i'll disagree, sandeep.....the bcci's did take a hasty decision in "resting" saurav as we all know that the ICC announced after saurav was banned for the 4th and 5th ODI's that as long as the case was "under hearing" saurav could still play...but the pressure from all corners due to his bad form made the bcci stick with the ban . all through the series, there was talk of removing him, and when the ICC banned him, the BCCI breathed a sigh of relief that the job on their hands had been done by the ICC themselves. only days later was it known that saurav was still eligible to represent India as the ban was being contested against by saurav with bcci's backing...when reporters asked BCCI secretary SK NAIR about whether saurav would now play after this new revelation/development...he just said...NO (without explanations,which made it clear as to what was on BCCI's mind).
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Superb inning ... Hopefully this inning will give dada require confidence .. And he again start playing his free hitting game ... Importantly this inning wasn't labourous, so dada must feel confident that his stroke game is still alive ... Once his footwork and timing back into kitty, then he will again into runs ... Welldone dada.

Jaydeep.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

Australia lost to England in the 20-20 cricket super series. England batting first scored 179 in 20 overs. Australia batting second was surprisingly all out for 79. At one stage they were 31/7 . Thanks to Gillespie and Lee, they managed 79.

An exciting Ashes is in offing. England has come a long way since last time they played Australia.
brightsideup

Post by brightsideup »

tough loss for the ozzies..but i heard ricky ponting say before the match that he wouldnt be too concerned with the result of this game as 20-20 requires different set of skills and a different type of game...not conventional cricket..in his opinion.
i'd still put the ozzies as the favourites to win the ashes although i firmly believe in the abilities of the englishmen to pull off a couple of wins as well. all in all, an exciting series in the offing.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

Well 20-20 may not be all that important for Aussies but for English men it is a definite confidence booster. It helps you to believe that you can beat Aussies. And this confidence can be carried onto test matches too.

England is very much playing like a team these days. They have a set of talented batsmen too. Taking away Ashes from Australians might be difficult but England is surely capable of drawing the series.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Yes agree Sandeep and with this loss the Australian team wouldn't tag around as THE INVINCIBLE like 1930s team in this Ashes tour.

Jaydeep.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Schedule for one-day triangular series to be played in Sri Lanka from July 25 to August 7 is out ... We r playing our first match against West Indies.
Matches Schedule:

July 25: India v West Indies - Dambulla (D/N)

July 27: India v Sri Lanka - Dambulla (D/N)

July 29: Sri Lanka v West Indies - Dambulla (D/N)

July 31: India v West Indies - Dambulla (D/N)

Aug 3: India v Sri Lanka - Colombo (D/N)

Aug 5: Sri Lanka v West Indies - Colombo (D/N)

Aug 7: Final - Colombo (D/N)
Jaydeep.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

When One-Day cricket began, the English were the best at it, since they were the first to play it -- and the Aussies in particular took to it very slowly. Similarly, Twenty20 is something the English have been playing for 2-3 years already, and will have the first-mover advantage at it for a few more years. But when others get serious, the English will fall by the wayside as they did at the 1975 World Cup and beyond.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Exciting Tsunami benefit match at Lord's today. All the Indian batsmen failed, except VVS Laxman (47); dropping him from the ODI squad makes little sense. But it was Kumble and Bhajji who won the match for the MCC XI.

Details:
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005 ... N2005.html
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

Damn I missed the match. A friend of mine went to see it though. Said it was a lot of fun. Maybe I'll get to see the Ashes tour when they play at Lords. (dreaming I know)
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

Australia lost to somerset today. Somerset chased a huge total of 342 pretty easily. Jayasurya and Smith had a terrific day. Both of them scored centuries in almost same number of balls.

I have a feeling that Australia is on a Decline. Not because they lost two matches but their bowling attack is pretty ols. I don't think they have the energy and enthusiasm they had earlier.

Check out the Ages: -

Mcgrath - 35yrs 126 days
Lee - 28 years 219 days
Kasprowiscz - 33 years 125 days
Warne - 35yrs 275 days
Gillespie - 30yrs 57 days

Australian team is getting old :( . Have to see how will they cope up with the change. Looks like the inevitable is not far away. India being No.1 team in the world :D
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

nothingnew wrote:Australian team is getting old :( . Have to see how will they cope up with the change. Looks like the inevitable is not far away. India being No.1 team in the world :D
Well we'll have to overtake a few teams first.

ICC Rankings :

#1 Australia
#2 Sri Lanka
#3 New Zealand
;;
;;
#7 India

Rediff Rankings:
#1 Australia
#2 SriLanka
#3 South Africa
;;
;;
;;
#8 India

So I'd say a long long way to go before we are #1. The only teams below us are the likes of Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. Hopefully they stay behind us in the rankings or else that would be really shameful.