Indian domestic cricket/ players

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by BSharma »

Jay has recently written about how cricket in India has remained relatively unchanged and that for any game to progress it should change with time. "One day" cricket has made the game more exciting for many cricket fans. Cricket under the lights is another change. These innovations have not come from India.

Here is another change in which Australia has taken a lead. A baseball coach from USA (Mike Young) has been working with the Australian cricket team to improve the fielding and throwing the ball. Read about it at:

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/030221/80/dtti6.html
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Cricket

Post by jayakris »

Yep. precisely the point. Thanks for the article. The cricketers and cricket fans look down on baseball, but that game has gone miles ahead of cricket (which it was invented from) in athleticism and planning.

The relay throw is one that surprised me when I saw it first, because I was thinking of this since late 80s when I saw baseball first. First time I saw a cutoff man in baseball cutting off an throw from outfield which could have possibly gone to the plate (but most probably not in time), I didn't understand it. But how the cutoff man holds the other runners from advancing is a beauty - most important being where exactly the cutoff man gets positioned. The relay throw is a natural for cricket also. The reason why these things were never tried is because there was no incentive for such excellence in cricket. You need to have $$$ tied to club sports (and the subsequent competition) for these things to improve. The Indian board simply looks at cricket as a cash-cow and tries to act big with the rest of the world on the basis of all the money India pumps into it. They should have the vision to also find ways to get these kinds of things done. In a way the fan reaction this time after the first two matches may have helped (though many of the "fan revolts" also seemed to have sponsored by companies by the way - but that is another story!).

Bring in a few baseball guys into India and you will see the kind of ideas they will come up with. Baseball outfielders cover so much more of space in the field and with just three guys in the outfield they manage to tail each other, stop, pick and throw in optimal motions, etc etc. Those guys can possibly come up with ideas in cricket. Looks like Australians have learned from it. Why couldn't this be done by India?

I have never been convinced that our fielders are always aware of body positioning and the mechanics of throwing, especially the ability to account for lost time under different mechanics of throwing. See a baseball shortstop diving left or right and estimating how fast he could throw to the first base depending on the body positioning he ends up with, and you will see what I am saying. It's incredible how well they guess whether it should be a double play. Also how instinctively the first baseman decides to throw to the second base for a rare 3-4-3 double play when he has to estimate how fast the second baseman can tag the runner out and get the ball BACK to the first base to get the batter out. Sheer beauty. And they do it routinely because these guys have analyzed these things to its fullest - all the way back in the 30s and 40s - and have practised it to death!

Then you see the old "wash-out" Indian experts who NEVER have a word about serious technical details about fielding (because none of them could field if their lives depended on it, to start with!). All they do is to use up the space the press and media give to whine, whine, and whine more .. Most of the time banalities about crap like "team spirit" and "mind being on the game" and "confidence" and all that. I have hardly seen objective analysis of DETAILS. Our current player know a lot more than all these "experts".

Cricket has changed and is changing quite fast still - I smirk when I see the "experts" comments in India. Not that you or I would know what is best, but I know that most of these Indian experts have no right to complain about our team and how they perform.

Things need to be taken to a higher level in cricket in India. We are always picking up things from outher countries. If we are the money pit, we should be doing better. We are playing cricket certainly at a much higher level than we were in the 80s, but we are always following the Australians and South Africans in fielding and strategy these days.

Even the Sri Lankans managed to change one-day cricket a bit when they started the blitzkrieg opening style in the 90s. But what have we done which can be counted as our contribution to cricket (excpet betting scandals, perhaps)?

Here is a suggestion - figure out how to use spin bowling as a proper weapon abroad in one-day cricket. Our best resource is, and it has always been, spin bowling in which we have produced some of the world's best. We should be properly analyzing this (heck, try wind mill tests in IITs if you want!). Let me see the BCCI coming up with the funds for a REAL study involving our aerodynamics and physics experts to come up with plans on what works. Just see the film of a knuckle ball pitcher and how they figured out from the Phil Niekro times how to use the slowest delivery in baseball as a weapon (it is a lost art now, but occasionally you still find a pitcher who is good enough to start for a majorleague team with that slowest delivery!). Do some extensive computer simulation of using 2 or three spinners in early overs and what field positioning is needed for that. Prem Panicker had a beautiful article on this in the rediff.com about the importance of proper field positioning for spin - and how some of our old captains have instinctively done things which have worked in tests. Do we really know a field position innovation for certain type of spin bowling done in early overs? -- I doubt it. Just an example; this maynot be the first thing to try (or may be ridiculous altogether), but some innovation needs to come from India.

The only thing we are known for is that we produce some uncanny natural batting talents like Sachin. Everyone knows that this is to be expected with the population of players in India.

It comes down to the economics - in Australia, cricket faces extinction unless they innovate, thanks to rugby and everything else. In India this is a cash cow. We need VISION. And badly.

Jay
gvhvhg

Post by gvhvhg »

:mad: :mad: I hate dinesh mongia
PKBasu

Dinesh mongia

Post by PKBasu »

I think he needs to be dropped from the team. Two of the options offered, however, are way over the top! He has done reasonably well on occasion, fields well and has had surprising success as a containing bowler.
gvhvhg

Dinesh mongia

Post by gvhvhg »

one more option could be to eat his children :bounce: :mrgreen:
gvhvhg

Dinesh mongia

Post by gvhvhg »

did he play at Gwalior....if he didnt there is ur answer to why india won!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :devil: :devil: :devil:
PKBasu

Dinesh mongia

Post by PKBasu »

Dinesh Mongia is now long forgotten. Not even in the reserves; with Ganguly injured, Hemang Badani was called up instead.
gvhvhg

Dinesh mongia

Post by gvhvhg »

well Badani is a whole new story........... :D but not as bad as Mongia :D

MAbye the selectors took a look at my posts in this thread!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :D :D :D :D :D :D :notworthy:
prasen9

Dinesh mongia

Post by prasen9 »

Badani is at least better than Mongia and Laxman (better average, better strike rate). Laxman's strike rate is even slower than Dravid's. As good as he has been in Tests, he cannot place the ball and get the singles regularly in ODIs when the field is more defensive than in Tests. Besides, Badani is a much better fielder. People forget Laxman's ODI innings of old that make you tear your hair failing to rotate the strike when they see the classy shots. Hoping we see a new Laxman play much faster like the new Dravid.

-Prasenjit
PKBasu

Dinesh mongia

Post by PKBasu »

I think it is time Rohan Gavaskar was given a chance to play an ODI for India. His first-class career batting average (46+) is higher than Badani's, and he's a much better bowler and fielder. On the India A tour of England this summer, he topped the batting averages. And as long as five years ago, he scored a century in Pakistan in a "test" against Pakistan A. The only reason he hasn't played for India yet is the perception that it is nepotism that is getting him into the team. He isn't a new Sunil Gavaskar, but deserves a place in the ODI squad soon.
david

Cricket

Post by david »

The Chandra Tripathi Junior Women's cricket tournament being played at Vishakapatnam.

RASHMI BLASTS A TON TO HELP SOUTH WIN

Rashmi Shivshankar scored a hurricane hundred to set up a facile 109 runs victory for South Zone against East Zone at the Municipal Corporation stadium, Vishakapatnam.Rashmi has been very consistant in this tournament scoring 40, 40 and now 127.
Opening the batting with India opener Karuna Jain, Rashmi completely overshadowed her international partner. She totally dominated the East bowling from the first ball she faced. Rashmi got her hundred off just 102 balls and added a further 27 runs from the next 16 balls that she faced. She struck eighteen crisp boundaries in her chanceless knock.She put on 95 runs for the first wicket with Karuna Jain who scored a painstaking 35 off 64 balls Finally, with just 10 balls remaining, a very tired Rashmi was bowled by one that kept cruelly low. With Deepika, Savitha Nirala, Laxmi Priya,Sindhu and Kritika failing to consolidate, South Zone finished thier innings at 225 for 6 off the allotted 40 overs. Manasi was the only bowler who commanded some respect picking 2 for 37 from her eight overs.
East Zone who had beaten Central zone yesterday,never even made an attempt to overhaul the target set by South. They opted for batting practice and finished with 116 for 4 off the 40 overs. Arpita Ghosh ( 32,87 balls, 4 fours),Payal Mukherjee( 22 not out, 43 balls, 4 fours ) and Riya Choudhry ( 24 not out, 35 balls 5 fours ) were the main scorers. Pooja Shah, Kritika and Deepika picked up one wicket each.
Rashmi Shivshankar was declared the EVE OF THE MATCH

Scores; South zone 225 for 6 in 40 overs; Rashmi Shivshankar 127, Karuna Jain 35, Diana David 23, Manasi 2 for 37
East Zone 116 for 4 in 40 overs; Arpita Ghosh 32, Payal Mukherjee 22 N O,Riya Choudhry 24 N O,
SOUTH ZONE WON BY 109 RUNS

Match II

In the other match at the Railway stadium, West Zone beat North Zone by 8 wickets. Anagha Deshpande was declared the eve of the match for her 54 off 45 balls.
Scores : North Zone 134 for 9 in 40 overs.Anureeth Kaur 28, Roopali 19
West Zone 135 for 2 in 27.2 overs; Anagha Deshpande 54, Manali 34, Rupali 2 for 16
WEST ZONE WON BY 8 WICKETS

In the last round South, who have so far dominated the tournament thus far, meets North at the Railway stadium. It is important for south to win this game as at this stage South have three wins and if North beats South on the morrow, they will equal South with three wins. As per the rules of the tournament, if the two teams are equal on points 'who beat who' in the league will decide the champions. Hence, this game will be virtually a finals.

Source: Irfan Sait from Vishakapatnam, Andhra Pradesh
vishnureddy

Post by vishnureddy »

Sandeep, i can't believe you chose an avatar of Rayudu. He is one hell of an overrated batsman imo and the guy doesn't even deserve a place in the Hyderabad team right now :devil:
Last edited by jayakris on Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Indian domestic cricket/players

Post by jaydeep »

Now Vishnu u r starting war against Sandeep ... Becoz Rayudu is Sandeep's Blue Eyed Boy in Indian Cricket ... :mrgreen:

Jaydeep.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Vishnu, I think you are being too harsh on Rayudu. It is a fact that he hasn't done much in the past year, but he did have a brilliant debut season in the Ranji Trophy and was a spectacular performer at the junior level. I think he has simply succumbed to the excessive pressure of over-hyped expectations. But I'm pretty sure he has a future.
vishnureddy

Post by vishnureddy »

About his great junior career, he did well at U-16 intl level but imo struggled at the U-19 level apart from that great series in England where he single handedly won the series.

From the few instances i have seen him bat like when he completely looked out of depth against Agarkar in Challenger Trophy and have seen him a couple of time in Ranji trophy , where his brain just stopped working like holding out to long on when his team was looking to draw out a game. From what i have seen of him, he is a very unorthodox batsman who plays a damn risky game. He can't stay a couple of overs without attempting a risky shot like clearing the infield even in a 4 day game and is very suspect against extreme pace(140's) and is a good lbw candidate. I don't rate him that much. I mean even upcoming players like Shashank Nag, T Suman and Avtar Singh in Hyd deserve a place ahead of him imo.