Indian domestic cricket/ players

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Indian domestic cricket/ players

Post by PKBasu »

Madhav Kaushik's first List A match was for India under-23 against Bangladesh under-23, so I presume he had done really well in the CK Nayudu Trophy to be picked for that side. (He made 34). Today, he has played an impressive innings -- 131* off 142 balls -- having only played two previous matches for UP in the Hazare trophy this season.

Very impressive hitting from Akshdeep Nath, a 27 year old who played for India under-19 in his time. He has made 50* off 35 balls, and has been very good with bat and ball throughout the tournament. 4th half-century of the tournament for him. Definitely should be in contention for the all-rounder's slot for India A.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

PKB, you could be watching an international game. Indian women playing SAF women. Indian women finally scored some runs. Let’s see if it’s enough.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I was keen to see how Prithvi Shaw looks. He is on 45 off 26 balls, but I must say he was very streaky to begin with. After 10, though, he has totally dominated the bowlers. Yashaswi Jaiswal has just opened up. Interesting to see the two exciting young opening batsmen batting together for Mumbai. There's Shivam Mavi, the exciting pacer bowling for UP too.

I am occasionally looking at the women's ODI too. SA racing toward the target at 78 for no loss in the 15th over, chasing 267. Deepti turns the ball quite viciously, but India's women need wickets quickly. Surprised that the veteran Jhulan Goswami was "rested" for this match.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Prithvi Shaw is out for 73 off 39 balls, caught in the deep off Shivam Mavi. He has set it up brilliantly for his side, but I thought the innings was a bit too aggressive (and hence high-risk, especially at the start). Jaiswal and Aditya Tare cruising along quite smoothly now.

Shaw finished with 827 runs in 6 matches in this year's Hazare Trophy. But I don't think today's innings would have convinced the selectors that he has addressed all his issues.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Did you see him bat?

Shaw, Padikkal, Krunal and Samarth (Karnataka) batted very well in this tournament all averaging over 100! Iyer and Bist did fine too.

Dhawal Kulkarni, Rishi Dhawan, and S Kaul bowled well. A young left-handed Gujrati medium pacer Nagwaswalla got 19 wickets! 20-year old Sivam Sharma (left-arm spinner) got 21 wickets for cheap. Prasidh Krishna got 14 wickets at 22 runs/wicket.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Paddikal should be playing for India now.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

prasen9 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:09 pm Did you see him bat?

Shaw, Padikkal, Krunal and Samarth (Karnataka) batted very well in this tournament all averaging over 100! Iyer and Bist did fine too.

Dhawal Kulkarni, Rishi Dhawan, and S Kaul bowled well. A young left-handed Gujrati medium pacer Nagwaswalla got 19 wickets! 20-year old Sivam Sharma (left-arm spinner) got 21 wickets for cheap. Prasidh Krishna got 14 wickets at 22 runs/wicket.
Yes, I did see Shaw bat. And also most of UP's innings after their 10th over (when they were 34/0). Later watched Aditya Tare make the winning century. Sarfaraz Khan rarely got a chance to bat in this tournament. Kaushik eventually finished on 158* off 156 balls, but ended up on the losing side. Dhawal Kulkarni bowled 6 overs today, but then spent the rest of the innings in the pavilion nursing some type of injury. Akshdeep Nath impressed me most with his batting -- calculated hitting for 55* off 40 balls. Despite his success with the ball earlier in the tournament, he didn't bowl today. Odd things happen in domestic cricket!
Shaw's technique seems extremely flawed. He plays a high-risk game, and about a fifth of his scoring shots are unconvincingly risky. I don't think the comparisons with Sehwag are apt -- at least not yet. I'm surprised that this talented fellow hasn't been coached better.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Atithee wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:35 pm Paddikal should be playing for India now.
In whose place? He has been quite a slow List-A batsman although he is a high average batsman. We have lots of those. In domestic T20 cricket, he has performed very well. In the IPL, he was not that great. Kishan, Surya, Tewatia, Mayank, Dhawan batted better than him in the last IPL. He needs to bat better this IPL to force his way through as Surya, Kishan, and Tewatia did and Dhawan earned one more T20I match I suppose.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Seems like a more aggressive Sehwag with worse technique who feasts on lower-level competition. Oh, well. Hope Dravid or the NCA folks work with him to fix things. Let's see what he does in the IPL.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Vihari is going to play for Warwickshire in the county championship for at least a month (3-4 matches). Smart move by him. If he does well, he will cement his place in India's test squad. Three years ago, Axar Patel played for Durham. These are good, far-sighted moves.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

BCCI should let our players play wherever they want to unless thee is a health/overwork reason to prevent that. Stop the stupid protectionism.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

PKBasu wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:27 am Vihari is going to play for Warwickshire in the county championship for at least a month (3-4 matches). Smart move by him. If he does well, he will cement his place in India's test squad. Three years ago, Axar Patel played for Durham. These are good, far-sighted moves.
Vihari has been an embarrassment in his outings for Warwickshire. Hugely disappointing.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

3 matches is small sample size. Yates, who is averaging almost double of Vihari's 16-odd credited him with helping him figure out how to tackle the spin of Harmer. Warwick's 4th-7th best bats in the season average around 30 though. So, Vihari has been quite below par but that is expected since in the early part of the summer the ball swings a lot and he does not have the nous to play that. Not very many Indian batsmen these days can actually play the swinging ball well. They are much better against bounce. In the 90s, it was perhaps the opposite of that.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Vihari was dropped or is not playing in the latest match. I think just practising in swinging conditions should also do him good.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I think he was supposed to play just 3 (or at most 4) matches. So an utterly mediocre stint for Vihari, just as I expected. He isn't a shoo-in for the test squad, but should make the expanded squad of 22-25.