Indian domestic cricket/ players

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Indian domestic cricket/ players

Post by prasen9 »

Agree fully. He was in the pre-Sehwag era. So, we had Siddhu and then nobody on the other side. Shastri for some matches did fine, but, he did not open his entire career. Sridhar could/should have been the answer. RIP.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

Yet another century by Prithvi Shaw today in Ranji trophy against Orissa, his 4th in 5 first class matches. Only Sachin Tendullkar had more first class hundreds before the age of 18.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

He seems to be an incredible talent. One of those 5 matches (and 4 centuries) was the Duleep Trophy final.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Oh great. Now I have to worry about another God in cricket in India. Can this guy play football?
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

As a biased guy from Hyd, really nice to see both Hyderabad & Andhra really coming up over the past 2 years.

Andhra especially from being a no-body in Cricket to making gradual improvements year-on-year - they have defeated table-toppers MP from their group comfortably to lead the group now at mid-way stage. They are riding on their top players like Vihari, Bhui, Bharat, Prashanth, Ayyappa - hopefully this is their year to make the big run. MSK has had a huge influence there over the past 10 years.

Hyderabad appears to suddenly have a good depth of bowling talent - Ravi Kiran, Siraj, C Milind - top medium pacers and now Ravi Teja / Bhandari as all-rounders and Mehdi / Ojha as spinners. Batting bolstered by Rayudus, Akshat, Sandeep, Agarwal. They are likely to Railways today but hopefully will have a breakout over the next year or so.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

That's it. The destruction of real sports in my home state is reaching new heights. What is happening to God's own country? This is so pathetic...

Kerala marches into the last eight

... of Ranji Trophy, for the first time since Parashuram supposedly threw an axe from Gokarna to Kanyakumari and had the state come up from the Ocean. Now SRT is the God who owns even the state's ISL team. The future feels so gloomy.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yes, congratulations to Kerala for making the quarterfinals of the Ranji Trophy for the first time ever. In the old zonal system, they faced the insurmountable barrier of doing better than Karnataka (Prasanna, Chandra, Vishy, Kumble, Dravid, Srinath, etc), Hyderabad (Pataudi, Jaisimha, Abbas Ali Baig, Abid Ali, Azharuddin, MV Narasimha Rao, Arshad Ayub, Shivlal Yadav) and Tamil Nadu (VV Kumar, Venkat, TE Srinivasan, WV Raman, Ravichandran Ashwin, Balaji). Ironically, this year TN failed to win a single match -- the first time that had happened in several decades.

But Kerala were helped this year by the bowling performances of Jalaj Saxena, who transferred from Madhya Pradesh and snared 38 wickets this season. Jalaj is a good off-spinning allrounder who has played for India A, and had a big season this year. Interestingly, MP are also in the QF, where they meet Delhi. The other Quarter-finals feature holders Gujarat taking on Bengal, Kerala vs Vidarbha (seemingly between two of the historically weaker sides, although Vidarbha have been spectacular this season), and the big behemoths Mumbai vs Karnataka.
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

Other than Ishant who was the standout performer in this years's Ranji, the other 2 seamers who have impressed are Dinda of Bengal and Chintan Gaja of Gujarat.
I think Dinda has been hard done by. He has been bowling his heart out in domestics for some time now, but hasn't been given another chance at the highest level. IMO he can be the 5th seamer for RSA, he has the experience at the highest level and likely better than Thakur/Saini/Siraj etc gang.
Gaja was quite instrumental in Gujarat's Ranji trophy final win last year; and he has been very effective this year as well. He should at the least be given India A chances.
Last edited by indiansportsfan on Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Quite a few Indian players are playing in the Dhaka Super League at the moment, keeping themselves busy ahead of the IPL.
Unmukt Chand was MoM with a century for Dhanmondi while Hanuma Vihari played for Abahani (the opposing team). Parvez Rasool is another player playing in the league (for a team called Legends of Rupganj), as is Ashok Menaria (for Khelaghor).
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

I thought Indians were banned from playing in foreign leagues.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

rajitghosh wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:22 pm I thought Indians were banned from playing in foreign leagues.

It is not a franchise based tournament but a club level tournament and has been there for many years now. Raman Lamba, Kapil Dev and Loads of other Indian players have been playing here. There is no auction involved here but players are allotted to different clubs
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Digressing slightly, do we have a full list of players who have played first class/ List A/ T20 abroad. I know the county cricket list will be very long but any others?
kna

Post by kna »

Medium pacer Mohammed Siraj from Hyderabad may be someone to keep an eye on.

He is 24, and is making the most of his opportunities with India A in the red ball format.

One the recent tour of England, he got 4-68 and 4-64 vs. West Indies A, 4-79 and 3-55 vs. England Lions.

In the just concluded match vs. South Africa A at Bengaluru that India A won by an innings and 30 runs, he got 5-56 and 5-73.

It is still early days, but pretty impressive for an Indian pacer to be so consistent. Not sure how fast he is, but looks like he can swing and seam the ball.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

He played in some T20 or ODI games recently and didn’t really create a solid impression. Plus, I remember him dropping some catches, but I may be wrong. Anyway, unless he can bat, no bowler deserves a chance in my selection for India. Unless you are that great that the world takes note and worries. To date, India hasn’t produced such a bowler in my memory.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

Atithee wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:01 pm He played in some T20 or ODI games recently and didn’t really create a solid impression. Plus, I remember him dropping some catches, but I may be wrong. Anyway, unless he can bat, no bowler deserves a chance in my selection for India. Unless you are that great that the world takes note and worries. To date, India hasn’t produced such a bowler in my memory.
He is an improved version of Umesh Yadav. Will be the fastest amongst our bowlers (touching upto 150+), loose with his line and length but one thing going for him is - he has been a wicket taker. His first class average has always been close to 25 whereas Umesh has always been in the low 30s even in Ranji Trophy.

Similar to Umesh - mediocre fielder, non-existent batting skill.