National Cricket Team Players (India)

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: National Cricket Team Players (India)

Post by prasen9 »

Our best T20 bowlers are: Bumrah, Arshdeep, Bhuvi and DLC. Shami has a horrendous record. He should be dropped. Ditto Umesh, Harshal, and Thakur. The next lot of bowlers should be tried and given a full run. Natarajan and Saini, if they find their form in the IPL, should come into the picture. Ditto for whoever am the ex-India bowlers Umran, Sakariya, Warrier. Or whoever does well in the IPL, A-team T20s, etc.

I'd also give Bishnoi a good run and ask him to improve his batting and fielding. Rehabilitate Kuldeep. Get the next crop of young spinners. Axar can be used where the pitch favors his style.
Rajkumar Sharma
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

BCCI seems got mad after T20WC exit. Some questions will definately rise

There is no trust in W Sundar, D Chahar, T Natarajan as they are injury proned and always get left out when ICC events knocks the door

Umran & Kuldeep Sen are in odi squad as a 2023 WC probable, so what impact they will make in flaccid tracks of India and in the presence of dew in 2023 WC. Success of Sharp pace in dew is doubtfull.

No end to I Kishan, Samson, Pant as permanent WKB option

No need to talk high on Shreyas Iyer as he still needs to be tested against short ball at brisk pace
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

(Added "cricket" to the thread title. Mod, Jay)

I keep clicking this thread thinking it is abut the football team, and then find that it is about some other sport of lesser importance :) ... Just kidding. But, by default, the national team of any country (except those in the subcontinent) is their football team, I think... Jay
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Wish Rishabh a speedy and full recovery. Here is the interview of the bus driver who got him out. It is a shame that we do not have any law that requires ambulances to respond and take survivors to hospitals or any government branch responsible to provide such services. When a car hit me and drove over half my foot, I had police and ambulances come and take me to the hospital. Only after being discharged did they send me a bill. I had insurance. But, even otherwise, the government pays the hospitals in the U.S. such that they provide services first. That saves lives.

Rishabh Pant's accident
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Apparently, Chetan Sharma, chief selector made several comments in a so-called sting operation by Zee TV. The one thing that he let out was that Indian players use injections to pass fitness tests when their injury has not fully healed. And, a bunch of gossip about different players and fights and favoritism, etc.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

It was only a matter of time before the cat got out of the bag. Kohli's arrogance had to come back and hit him at some time. Of course the way politics works Chetan Sharma would be painted as a villain (for me he always was since 1986 for a totally different reason :D :p ) and Kohli and his cronnies like Rahul would continue to fail but get to play thanks to the money riding on them and their Bollywood connections. Ganguly has anyway been sidelined for other political reasons not connected to Kohli in any way.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

In ODIs, if we put a avg 40 qualification for the batters, we have Rohit, Gill, Rahul, Kohli, Iyer. If Rahul keeps, then the 6 and 7th batters are Jadeja and Hardik. The problem is that we need some backups. Kishan should be given some more matches and so should Samson. And, this should not be done in series. That is try one and then cry we did not have time. This was the issue with the Karthik debacle in the T20Is. Play both Kishan, Samson, in parallel and while we are at that Gill and then the best among them (Gill) should be in the XI and another person backup. Right now, Kishan because he is more seasoned. Injuries will happen. So, we need to keep the backups ready. A world cup at home is a once in a generation opportunity. We cannot win abroad in ODIs at the tourney finals. So, we need to make this count.

The advantage of playing people in parallel is that we will get information about how good or bad they are against the same type of opposition and similar conditions. Oh, and while we are at it, play Sundar. Why are we not playing him to see what we have? He brings in variety and if he can bat as well as Axar or better, should be more valuable.

I have stopped harping about playing pace all-rounders. Seems like the selectors have given up too.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

So, our best T20I performers with the bat have been (qual:avg. 25, SR 140):

Hooda 31@147 (12 dismissals)
V. Iyer 33@162 (6 dismissals)
Jaiswal 39@161 (6 dismissals)
Gill 30@147 (10 dismissals)
Rinku 75@208 (1 dismissal)
NTTV 39@143 (6 dismissals)
SkAY 46@173 (40 dismissals)

Which basically means we have one superbatter in SkAY. The rest are all flawed. I hope these others who have smaller sample size are given more chances right away to see if we can develop a few others.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Left out Patidar who had IPL average of 40 and SR of 144.3. Small sample size, but had a great season with red ball and indian A team as well. Unfortunately he had an achilees injury and had surgery.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Kumar likes Saurabh Kumar. I also think he is a fantastic spinner. Maybe even slightly better than Axar in the last few years. The reason Axar got in is due to his batting. He averages about 36 in our inflated FC cricket, almost a Padikkal like AND he bowls. Saurabh is a good bat but not at the Axar level. Padikkal is perhaps the worst batter who got into India-A in the recent times but that is another story. I would give Axar a few more tests and as long as he is performing, we keep him. He is a year younger than Saurabh. But, if we want to replace him, my preference would be if we have a phenom who is 25. Build that guy up. Otherwise, we go to the safe choice: Saurabh.

The retro choice is Shahbaz Nadeem, who is not half the bat as these two and not as good a bowler either. He got two tests and Saurabh did not. He got his tests in 2019-21. Saurabh would have been about 26 then and Axar 25. We surely must have seen enough of them. Why Shahbaz? Selectors are quite random it seems. Kuldeep's injury and he being close by helped but then he got another test ... Which begs the question as to why we don't select adequate backups to account for injuries and do things like play Saha as a pure bat, etc. Planning or good planning is perhaps not in our genes.

Ashwin is 37 and Jadeja 35. Who would be your choices? I know I asked this and Kumar answered but I admit I forgot. :-) :p When Ashwin goes, we could slip into a Kuldeep-Jadeja-Axar trio with two allrounders but when Jadeja goes ... Do we have an off-spinning allrounder who can keep Kuldeep out?
Rajkumar Sharma

Nadeem & Shahbaz Ahmed are not in the mix anymore. After Saurabh Kumar, Kumar Kartikeya & Mulani can be good to replace Axar. Hrithik Shokeen, who played for MI is a talented offie who can bat, is more a shorter format talent then test matches.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Karthikeya is a good bowler but can hardly bat. So, he will have to compete with the Kuldeep slot. No way can this guy replace Axar, leave aside Jadeja in tests. Shams Mulani is a true allrounder. Shokeen has batted very well but bowled horribly in domestic FC. Let him learn to bowl a bit better. He needs a few years.

The young Manav Sutar is a very good bowler who can bat decently but not at the Axar-Mulani-Padikkal level. Certainly, way better than Karthikeya. Pulkit Narang is a worse bowler and worse batter than Sutar and certainly to Mulani. Interesting that Mulani played for RoI but never got an India-A call. He seems to be quite promising. I really like this Mulani guy.
Rajkumar Sharma

Next big thing is 5 test matches against Aussies and at present situation team is suffering from pace bowling options.
Bumrah, Shami, Siraj....core. Mukesh doing well in test. Krishna can be useful but needs to be looked after. Navdeep Saini can also be an option. But team needs a pace bowling allrounder. England lions are playing 2 day warm up matches against India A, instead of announcing deserved India A probables, some fringe like Sakibul Gani, Prerak Mankad, Bawa could have been allowed to play these 2 day matches as probables will get picked in 4 dayers
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

What happened to Atit Seth or whoever you were pushing before? That guy seemed to be experienced and good.

The Gani guy is a batsman but very bad bowler. Prerak is another awful bowler but half decent bat. Worse than the Axar-Mulani-Paddikal level with the bat. Bawa too has been very good with the bat but awful with the ball.

Avesh Khan should be before Krishna imho. Krishna is very raw. Instead of pushing the raw guys, I think Avesh has matured enough to be useful in Australia. The only thing going for Krishna is that he is tall but just being tall will not cut it there as we saw by his totally disastrous bowling in RSA.

If we are talking tests, Saini is not a good bowler. He has never done well in FC that much. Compare him with Avesh, who has an outstanding FC record.

I'd say we plan with Avesh, PK, and Atit Sheth. Try to fix Thakur. And, at the end of the year, whoever shows most promise select them. Shardul started with a bang but has come down to his FC levels both wrt bowling and batting. He averages 17 with the bat in FC and 19 in tests - so that will come down unless it is real improvement. 28.6 with the ball and is 28.3 in tests. That will go down a lot I think. But, guy has experience in Australia and maybe those pitches suit him. But, I'd rather take some among Avesh, PK or Atit. Or anyone else who has shown promise in the next year.

On the batting side, I like PRP, Sarfraz, Rinku, Dhruv Shorey. Akshay Wadkar as keeper. Why is Rinku being looked as only a white ball player and not in the A-team?

BTW, we were talking of Bawne who has been given the shaft. The other guy was our U-19 opener Taruvar Kohli, the other Kohli, who has had a fabulous FC career averaging over 50 but never given a fair chance. Maybe he played for Mizoram and in the Plate?

Our old pal Vihari did not do too badly abroad if we consider all these recent failures, eh?
Rajkumar Sharma

Bawne stats are massive. He is getting harsh treatment, can be a solid n.o 5 in test matches.