Sania Mirza Comeback (2020-22). Retired 2023

A new subforum created to discuss Sania Mirza. As a lot of the other tennis player threads were getting overloaded, thus a new forum to discuss Sania Mirza

Moderator: Moderators

S_K_S
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Sania Mirza Comeback (2020-22). Retired 2023

Post by S_K_S »

One has to doff the cap for this. I wasn't sure she would even comeback after being out for so long but to do that and then win the first tournament back is just mind boggling. Murrayesque spirit!
IndiaSports

Post by IndiaSports »

The level of commitment shown by Sania throughout her career is incredible. All her compatriots who started their career around her time, have retired, but she goes on. So inspiring, I desperately hope she get an Olympic medal, she deserves it.
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

Yes, amazing comeback from Sania! Doubles is a sport that you can be good for a while, so she could easily have a 3-4 year run near the top of the doubles rankings if she persists with it.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sania is making a comeback earlier than we thought she would. She is playing as a wild card this week at Dubai WTA.

At Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships

[R1] (WC) Sania Mirza (IND) / Caroline Garcia (ITA) vs. Alla Kudryavtseva (RUS) / Katarina Srebotnik (SLO)
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

This ain’t no comeback. Let’s be honest. Comeback is what Kim Clijsters is attempting. I doubt anyone other than several Indians and some of this forum members care about it much. As I’ve stated earlier—I wish there were a way to separate the doubles threads completely. It doesn’t excite me at all regardless of tournament levels and gender. Of course, I’m not suggesting that we don’t follow the doubles results or celebrate the successes here, but it’d be great if the doubles can have its own section despite the slightly more work to post the same content.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

No wonder your password stops working here, Atithee :)
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I knew what I’d coming and from whom. But, I’m not the BFF for nothing.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Time to block his password again! :-) Just kidding.

Hey, I am excited about Sania's comeback. It is mighty hard to be a doubles champion in the world. If you go away and then come back, it is a comeback.

Not all sports is the same with respect to the degree of difficulty or quality of athleticism, etc. If you are champion of the world in gulli-danda, that is great, we will talk about it here. I follow all sports and value all wins (except golf and car-driving). I don't read or post on those threads. Those are my idiosyncrasies. You are entitled to your view of doubles, of course. So, just avoid Sania's thread like I do with golf and driving. Don't know what goes on there. Only time I follow golf is in the Asian Games. But, there are much weaker sports that we talk about here than doubles tennis.

Go Sania!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Yes, Atithee. Just take Sania's comeback like a pointless event like India playing a cricket test against some Sri Lanka or something. Let it also go on. After all, some people enjoy all these sports that don't matter - like cricket, tennis doubles, etc :)
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I’m merely asking doubles threads to be separated from singles. Not just for Sania. I like Prasen’s suggestion to just ignore her threads because she plays only doubles. That’s easy. But, we usually have a surfeit of doubles that is hard to separate the way threads are arranged right now. Anyway, just sayin’. Peace.
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

sameerph wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:37 pm Sania is making a comeback earlier than we thought she would. She is playing as a wild card this week at Dubai WTA.

[R1] (WC) Sania Mirza (IND) / Caroline Garcia (ITA) vs. Alla Kudryavtseva (RUS) / Katarina Srebotnik (SLO)
Sania and Caro won this match in STB. Good win!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

[R1] (WC) Sania Mirza (IND) / Caroline Garcia (ITA) vs. Alla Kudryavtseva (RUS) / Katarina Srebotnik (SLO), 64 46 [10-8]
which brings up
[R2] (WC) Sania Mirza (IND) / Caroline Garcia (ITA) vs (5) Saisai Zheng (CHN)/ BarboraKrejčíková (CZE)
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Good start for Sania and Caroline, in-between she is French player not an Italian. :D
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Atithee wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:06 am I’m merely asking doubles threads to be separated from singles. Not just for Sania. I like Prasen’s suggestion to just ignore her threads because she plays only doubles. That’s easy. But, we usually have a surfeit of doubles that is hard to separate the way threads are arranged right now. Anyway, just sayin’. Peace.
We can organize the forum in many ways. Anyway, Sania is never going to play singles anymore except may be in exhibition games. So, all her threads currently coming up has to be doubles or junk (personal stuff).

On a separate note, what this is highlighting is the lack of functionality in Forum Boards. Ideally, I should be able to turn off the Golf and Driving threads and you the doubles threads, etc. But, I cannot. I use "unread" posts and so I know I have caught up with the posts when all the top threads on my account are all golf and motor sports. It would have been better to have been able to hide them. That way you could hide doubles. But given that we cannot do that, and all of Sania's posts are doubles anyway, it should not cause you that much trouble.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I also use "unread posts". I just click and close the ones I'm not interested in. Pretty quick to do...