Sania Mirza Tournaments -2014

A new subforum created to discuss Sania Mirza. As a lot of the other tennis player threads were getting overloaded, thus a new forum to discuss Sania Mirza

Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Sania Mirza Tournaments -2014

Post by sameerph »

Wow, absolutely thumping win in the final by Sania and Cara. :clap: :clap:

At $6.5M BNP Paribas WTA FINALS 2014, Singapore

[F] (3) Sania Mirza (IND)/ Cara Black (ZIM) d. (2) Shuai Peng (CHN)/ Su-Wei Hsieh (TPE) 61 60

It is probably one of the most one-sided WTA tour final ever.
Omkara
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Omkara »

Mirza ends the year with ~ $830k earnings this year... :notworthy:
suresh

Post by suresh »

What a nice way for Cara Black to end her career. Congratulations to Sania and Cara.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Congrats Sania-Cara for thumping win over defending champions ... Winning 12 games in a row from 0-1 in the first set ... With this Sania achieve something which is still elude to Lee, Rohan or Mahesh.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Congrats Sania & Cara. You made us proud! :notworthy:
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

What a week! 2 world champions. Pankaj Advani & Sania MIrza. Congrats to both.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

It is disgusting to learn that TenSports didn't show the match in India. The short WTA video should be a good place to start:

http://www.wtafinals.com/article/black- ... ns/4248612

I will post my match-report shortly.
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

Shame on Ten Sports
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Today Cara Black was on song from the very start -- and that made a vital difference to the match. Peng Shuai and Hsieh Su-Wei began well, holding serve and then putting some pressure on Sania's service game. Sania was slightly tentative in those first two games, and it was Cara's turn to step up to the plate: she played with power and guile from the start. The overhead smash was especially effective, but her volleying was assured, serving was much better, and overall she played excellent doubles today. Sania's ground strokes were breathtaking as usual, and it was interesting to see that each pair had a similar set of complementary players -- with Cara and Su-wei the net maestros, while Peng and Sania were the baseline gurus. There was little doubt today that Sania was the better baseline dueller, and also served the best of the four on court (with Cara a close second!!). But on today's evidence, Cara was miles ahead of Su-wei at the net -- although I presume the latter was brilliant in the previous two rounds, each of which Peng/Hsieh won in comfortable straight sets.

Despite the scoreline -- 61 60, with our pair reeling off 12 games in a row after losing the first game on the opponents' serve -- most games on the opponents' serve were closely fought (although our pair had a few love games, especially on Sania's serve). Hsieh Su-wei was the weakest server today -- slightly worrying, given that she is Sania's partner for next year. But she is a very good volleyer, and her reflexes at the net are superb (as evident in the WTA clips too).

Wonderful, in the end, to have Sania Mirza and Cara Black crowned world women's doubles champions. Vijay Amritraj (with Dick Stockton) did achieve this feat in 1977, but no other Indian male or female has done it (including Leander and Mahesh). For Cara, it was a very fittingly glorious end to a storied career (although she isn't retiring necessarily, just taking 2015 off to look after her two-year-old son).
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

Omkara wrote:Mirza ends the year with ~ $830k earnings this year... :notworthy:
Where u get this figure/info from? On the regular site, the tournament doesn't seem to exist:
http://www.wtatennis.com/scores-and-stats

And also you can't click on the draws:
http://www.wtatennis.com/tournaments...bas-wta-finals

I also want to know how many points they've earned today.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

The winner earns +810 points, and earns 230 points for each win in the tournament. So a total of 1500 points to Mirza/Black -- which is what Peng/Hsieh earned last year for winning the championship. The ranking numbers do not yet include these points (for instance, Peng Shuai's ranking still includes the 1500 points from winning the WTA championship last year; now those 1500 points should fall off and be replaced by the 820 points they won this year -- 230 for each win, plus 360 for being in the final).

So, by my calculation, their title win will vault Cara Black to #3 in the world, and Sania Mirza to #4.
slice

Post by slice »

I was watched the match live and I must say Sania was sensational. By my count, she had 3 UFE and 2 unreturned serves for the whole match. Her volleying was exceptional with 7 or 8 winners, some at crucial times and 1 volleying error which was an attempted interception of a cross court service return from Peng (something I have never seen her attempt to do before). Her serving was top class and consistent with 3 aces and clocking 174 on one of the aces. She was absolutely solid from the backcourt with some sensational winners, with one off backhand from the centre of the court hitting the sidelines simply fantastic. From the evidence of yesterday she at the top of her game with improved capabilities and it bodes well for a very good 2015.

One interesting point is the both Hsieh Su-Wei (her partner for 2015) and she play the deuce court. Wonder who will make the switch to the Ad court. I would think that Sania who has the bigger shots should play the deuce court.
SaniaFan2

Post by SaniaFan2 »

PKBasu wrote:The winner earns +810 points, and earns 230 points for each win in the tournament. So a total of 1500 points to Mirza/Black -- which is what Peng/Hsieh earned last year for winning the championship. The ranking numbers do not yet include these points (for instance, Peng Shuai's ranking still includes the 1500 points from winning the WTA championship last year; now those 1500 points should fall off and be replaced by the 820 points they won this year -- 230 for each win, plus 360 for being in the final).

So, by my calculation, their title win will vault Cara Black to #3 in the world, and Sania Mirza to #4.
Watched all Sania matches and have clippings from all the matches
I must say Sania carried Cara in SF vs Pesche/Srebotnik
The match point they saved at 9-6 and 9-8 Won the tournament for them,Will upload some clippings for all sania fans including Saniapower :)
Sania will be top-5 and Cara will be 4th ranked,Peng will be ranked 3rd
Points had already been taken out last week of istanbul championships so thats why there will be no change in rankings
SaniaFan2

Post by SaniaFan2 »

slice wrote:I was watched the match live and I must say Sania was sensational. By my count, she had 3 UFE and 2 unreturned serves for the whole match. Her volleying was exceptional with 7 or 8 winners, some at crucial times and 1 volleying error which was an attempted interception of a cross court service return from Peng (something I have never seen her attempt to do before). Her serving was top class and consistent with 3 aces and clocking 174 on one of the aces. She was absolutely solid from the backcourt with some sensational winners, with one off backhand from the centre of the court hitting the sidelines simply fantastic. From the evidence of yesterday she at the top of her game with improved capabilities and it bodes well for a very good 2015.

One interesting point is the both Hsieh Su-Wei (her partner for 2015) and she play the deuce court. Wonder who will make the switch to the Ad court. I would think that Sania who has the bigger shots should play the deuce court.
Sania will play deuce court, i had seen them play together(Su-Wei) in ITF 100k in Taipei where they made the Final, Sania was playing deuce court
Besides that Su-Wei have a good backhand also
The way Sania had served in this championships,She really had powerful and flat serve and can help her future team
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

$500k for winning pair so Sania gets $250k. Till last week her YTD earnings were $580k. Add $250 and its ~$830