Sania Mirza Tournaments 2011

A new subforum created to discuss Sania Mirza. As a lot of the other tennis player threads were getting overloaded, thus a new forum to discuss Sania Mirza

Moderator: Moderators

rajorshi
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Sania Mirza Tournaments 2011

Post by rajorshi »

I was in fact hoping that she won't get bageled. Thats why I wanted her to play doubles here for some match practice. She has never lost in rd 1 of US Open but now...
SaniaFan2

Post by SaniaFan2 »

i watched it ,Sania started slowly was down 3-0 in 10 minutes,then she played 2 great games to go 3-2,Then she was unlucky to be broken after she had a game point to make it 3-3
the ball bashing started..she had bp at 4-2 but could not convert,Simple volley missed.Lisicki hold serve at 5-2
3 poor points by sania to go down 0-40 in the next game but 5 absolute great serving points by sania to reduce the lead to 5-3
she had 2 bps for 5-4 ,she missed simple forehand at 5-4..That costd her set and match,Although she saved 2 more set points but Her lack of confidence showed
2nd set was lot closer than scoreline suggest
Sania had game point at her own serve evertime,But she missed all of them by ball bashing and poor second Set,Hence Set 0-6
Sania is ball bashing most of the time,She is missing easy smashes and easy forehands very much...I thought she had a week off she would do well in DAllas,I was wrong
She played an inform player and her lack of confidence and form was shown up by very much improved lisicki
Positive::::: Good competetive first set
negatives(MANy)::: Very poor second serves,attacked by lisicki everytime,VEry poor groundstrokes(Missing a a long way)
If sania can practise hard and stay focussed she can do well
For US open
Please guys i advise you not expect anything from her,She is not playing top 100 tennis,She is playing very poor tennis ,MAy be outside top 150 tennis,Lots of work has to be done
prassana

Post by prassana »

Lisicki basically did not have much to do..her serve percent also was low..she clearly knew that Sania will make an error if she keeps the ball in play..
N Sania in really poor form missed such easy shots and smashes which should have been winners..
she was hardly moving(her movement when compared to this this was much much better in the first half of the season)
throughout sania had no energy..no cmon..nothing..
Sania may have the best forehand technique,but that works only with short balls..when her opponent hits the ball deep sania cant even manage to hit the ball over the net..n her serve has no pace no consistency..i think it was clearly exposed by JJ in Doha and all hard hitting players will eat it up..
Sania is very very low on confidence..she cant keep the ball in play(atleast in the first half of the season she clearly was able to rally a lot more)n i think thats why she missed that many easy shots..
Lisicki was never in trouble or any real pressure and to me she did nothing..Sania almost hit every ball out(it atleast seemed to me)..
WHERE R U ROB???PLEASE COME BACK BEFORE SANIA STARTS THINKING ABT A DOUBLES CAREER IN TENNIS!!!
prassana

Post by prassana »

I think the only way Sania can win a match at US Open is to play who is worse than Sania like Oudin at the moment..
May be Vesnina too..both these gals are in poor form..or akgul whom Sania owns..
I don't have any singles expectations from her at the US Open atleast..
Maybe after that if she'll play Ningbo challenger in China and Guangzhou WTA ,we can have some hope..
What a year for Sania!the last time she won MD match was at FO..had she reached 2nd round here and there also she could have got back to top 50..
rajorshi

Post by rajorshi »

Where will the confidence come from when you lose to players like Dubois, Woerle and Glatch? I felt the King match would provide her with the much needed fillip, but was plain wrong. And don't forget that despite doing well till FO she has managed to beat just 1 top 50 player this year. Though I am not undermining her exploits, its a fact that at Charleston she didn't get to any higher ranked players in the initial rounds. Incidentally Sania's doubles success mostly lead to her exploits in singles. The fact that Sania/Elena barely got to play together after Wimbledon is therefore adding to her woes. Right now, she is playing just like the way she did in the beginning of 2010.

Bdw Sania had once said that whenever she starts thinking about rankings, she gets injured! After Wimbledon she has been constantly talking about her HIGH CONFIDENCE and aim of making it to top 40 by year end. Right now, of course, even a top 75 finish looks a distant dream(considering the points she has to defend at US OPEN and after that). But like always I will hope for some miracle at FM. And with Indian Express back in form, we will have plenty to cheer about at the US OPEN! Bdw I want Sania to play with Paes in the mixed.
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

Very worrying slump in Sania's form. I wonder what has gone wrong in the past couple of months...
prassana

Post by prassana »

Rob has posted a new video of the Rogers Cup..he was there helping and coaching Safarova...and he seemed to be pretty happy too..why did not he join Sania???
And Safarova reached the Q.F with a win over Schiavone and lost to Serena in 3 sets..Rob magic worked on her too..Sania too needs him as coach now..
Have they split or they'll get back on tour?
akmohanty

Post by akmohanty »

prassana wrote:she was hardly moving(her movement when compared to this this was much much better in the first half of the season)
Sania may have the best forehand technique,but that works only with short balls..when her opponent hits the ball deep sania cant even manage to hit the ball over the net..n her serve has no pace no consistency..i think it was clearly exposed by JJ in Doha and all hard hitting players will eat it up..
Sania is very very low on confidence..she cant keep the ball in play(atleast in the first half of the season she clearly was able to rally a lot more)n i think thats why she missed that many easy shots..
Lisicki was never in trouble or any real pressure and to me she did nothing..Sania almost hit every ball out(it atleast seemed to me)..
WHERE R U ROB???PLEASE COME BACK BEFORE SANIA STARTS THINKING ABT A DOUBLES CAREER IN TENNIS!!!
I agree with all the observations you made on the match. Yes, the powerful FH only seems to work if the ball is short and involves very little movement. Whenever the ball has been placed deep and/or involves playing it on the run, it is neither as powerful nor accurate. This just isn't enough for the level at which tennis is played internationally.

Her serve as usual lacked power and consistency. The flaw in her motion was clearly visible - the all too familiar high ball toss and she leaning backwards to barely hit it with very little power or placement from an awkward position. There were more than 5 DFs if i recollect right, most of them at crucial junctures.

To top all this up, inspite of being a 'top' doubles player, she managed to goof up atleast two easy overheads/volleys at crucial stages.

Doubles career - at this stage, that looks the only realistic option!
rajorshi

Post by rajorshi »

The match was streamed live but I missed it. From the stats it didn't look so one-sided. Both players had a little over 50% of 1st serves in. Sabine, of course won more % of those serves. Sania, in fact managed to save quite a few bps and hit 2 aces against Sabine's 1! As far as the forehand is concerned, its still one of the best. I have seen her hit forehand winners on a run from defensive situations, many times this year. She is having a slump right now as she was thinking too much about rankings and putting pressure on herself. Hopefully next year she will start afresh!
pectorus

Post by pectorus »

why can't she stay with a single coach for a long time.. .i remember the same thing happened earlier when she was getting coached by sven groenveld she was doing well and suddenly she parted ways with him and her form too parted ways with her and now rob was doing such a great job and suddenly this anderson thing came and spoil everything.
i did not remember sania playing so horribly in hard courts.. .what has happened to her.. .??
jic

Post by jic »

Lisicki is no slouch in the power department. She can hit the ball every bit as hard as Sania, if not harder. She's not going to back down or be intimidated by the odd powerball forehand from Sania. I saw Sania in Toronto, and basically saw the same things described here. She may well take the easy route after this season and play doubles on the WTA, unless the 2012 Olympics is enough to motivate her to continue singles.
rajorshi

Post by rajorshi »

Its so boring out here without our queen in action! :roll: For once, I feel this rough patch will be temporary. Liscki is playing great, so the score is okay. Bojana lost to Dulko by a similar score. These things happen... The 2 wins Sania managed in Cincinnati and Toronto were pretty good. Should have given her some confidence...

But it amazes me to see how the likes of Georges, Peng and Petkovic have evolved. Particularly Petkovic, who was perhaps 21 or 22 when she came out of no where and almost took out the defending champ, Kuznetsova out of FO 2010. The latter wasn't in great shape, though. But now in less a year she has made it to top 10! Along with Peng, she gives me hope that age won't be a factor for Sania if the latter has the hunger left. Also watching the Peers, Kirlenkos and Medinas move in and out of top 30, every now and then, I refuse to give up hope! Our gal is capable of miracles! :goodluck: for the US OPEN!!!
SaniaFan2

Post by SaniaFan2 »

Sania is not the same player as we know..So don't have too much hope for uS open,SHe needs an absolute miracle..But i know she will not win a match in US open...

She is even playing worst than an year before when i got to see her in US open and cincinnati..She is missing her Forehand alot..This is not sania as we know...
She has split with ROb as he is not coaching her..Confirmed news....
Changing coaches will not do wonders for her..SH needs a good piece of mind and relaxed approach,Sh can play a way better\\
I told you guys after Washington performance she will struggle to win qualifying matches and MD matches..I was proved right..
I am hoping against hope that sania will give us a great surprise by winning a match at USO
If she works hard,she is capable of producing great shorts..She needs to have a very easy draw(Wild card and poor form players) to win a match at USO
rajorshi

Post by rajorshi »

SaniaFan2 wrote:

If she works hard,she is capable of producing great shorts..
she is becoming a tailor?

:rofl:
jic

Post by jic »

rajorshi wrote:
SaniaFan2 wrote:

If she works hard,she is capable of producing great shorts..
she is becoming a tailor?

:rofl:
As long as she does not hit drop shorts!