Sania Mirza Tournaments 2008

A new subforum created to discuss Sania Mirza. As a lot of the other tennis player threads were getting overloaded, thus a new forum to discuss Sania Mirza

Moderator: Moderators

ajay
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Sania Mirza Tournaments 2008

Post by ajay »

Congratulations Sania! Great comeback and dominating finish. Time to think big. Hantuchova, Sharapova, Kuznetsova ... C'mon Sania! Get them one by one!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

Great win for Sania . She now has won her last 3 matches against Peer & has kept her dominance going. Hantuchova will be tough though considering her record  at Indiana Wells .

Lets hope for the best. Highlights of her match against Peer are  available on Wtatour.com.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

Yes, beat them ova, and ova and ova again!  We know you can ovacome them. Just ovawhelm them with your forehand!  They will feel like they got run ova by a truck.

P.S.  Sorry, folks.  I know that's bad, but at least it is ova now.
Last edited by S_K_S on Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ssumanth

Post by ssumanth »

jayakris wrote:
genius wrote:and no one has posted she has hired sven groeneveld, long time WTA coach and now coaching ana ivanovic, for 15 weeks.
It was already posted a couple of days back by shibi in the Sania coach thread, genus -

index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=64&topic=212614.300

We don't miss such stories, you know ...   I think it is a really good hire.  Let us see what he can add to Sania's game.  If I can somehow manage to go to Indian Wells this time (exam week; so it is difficult for me), I will try to find out more.  I like the hire anyway.

Jay
--------
missed you there, Jay, and boy, did you miss a great match (you missed a magnificent Sania in a great match, I should say! Just give everyone an A and come on Tuesday - don't miss a second great performance (I'll give you a ride - a 222 mile  ride! ).
(thanks to 'somebody very nice', i managed to get in on a totally sold-out day!! thanks again!)

--------

Yaa!  Vindicated!  Thank you much, Sania!

For 6 mos I have been insisting Sania is potentially 2008 top-10, because she already has a better game than a few top-10 players, especially Peer & Bartoli (and maybe... just maybe, Hunt too***, we'll  find out Tuesday!) and contrary to all the free advice she was getting here, all she had to do was get gritty!
All you ‘soot’-sayers said nay!  Now, soot-sayers, eat Sania cooked crow!!

Sania matched and bettered Peer stroke for stroke, but even better, she matched Peer grit for grit!
From 10 ft behind the baseline, I saw the fire in her (slimmer) belly and I saw her calm, beautiful patience (I never knew patience could be so exhilarating!

She played extremely smart tennis - used angles, changed pace often (or just held back when Peer was expecting a wild, big shot!) and was correcting herself after every mistake, like her short-swing backhand drives, her few out-of-position-but-hit-them-anyway-shots, and some dinked prayerful 2nd serves when praying for a free point!
It was a pleasure watching her, it was truly beautiful -
- and joyous, and oh, so, exciting, because when Sania is flowing, the Gods must stop to watch her! They must have stopped to watch her very cute new subtle & elegant outfit too – cute on the outside, fire on the inside – a wolf in sheep’s clothing! [They must have stopped – there was all joy, no misery on this court!!]

So, go watch her every chance you get, fffolks, for this is how, I think and I hope, she will always play in the future!  Because, building her win, she was as joyous as we were!

Well, thanks Sania!  And now onto the hunt!  Yep, I’ll bet you’ll beat Hunt-uchova*** if you play the same way and rattle her with your patience, your grit, your change of pace, and then with that magical, thundering kapow forehand - and quite a few backhands too, like you did against Peer - when the time is right!  You have been constructing your points better than Hunt, and if you can rattle her early with your A-Game, the beer is on me for the whole of Hyderabad (my b-i-l is the brewmaster at the new Budweiser brewery there!!)!

G’luck, and see you on the hunt!  Win or lose, it’s a pleasure to watch you play - and float around the court in your dainty new outfit!   (Float like a butterfly, sting like a …  Sania forehand!!!).

Keep it up, well done!
Last edited by ssumanth on Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
shibi

Post by shibi »

Thanks ssumanth for your wonderful report and your optimism.
puneets

Post by puneets »

thanks for the report sumanth. i hope you'll be there to give us a report of the QF too.
genius

Post by genius »

Just as i expected, Hantuchova said she likes to play at the court for the full year if possible. she likes the pace,bounce and  able to strike in the middle better. she also said regarding the wind that  "one need not play crazy shots.its not about beautiful shotmaking but just to put the extra ball in". -does not sound like sania's game at all.

sania and her team has homework to do here.
Kothai

Post by Kothai »

Article on Sania's win over SP
Mirza upsets ninth-seeded Peer in US tennis
S_K_S
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by S_K_S »

jai_in_canada wrote:
Yes, beat them ova, and ova and ova again!  We know you can ovacome them. Just ovawhelm them with your forehand!  They will feel like they got run ova by a truck.

P.S.  Sorry, folks.  I know that's bad, but at least it is ova now.
Groooooan! I couldn't let it go without a comment as much as others seemed to have!  :devil:
nballa

Post by nballa »

hanthucova didnt even need to take her hoodie off.
talk about respect for an opponent. damn.
genius

Post by genius »

You still haven't quit? can't believe it

A troll with a karma of -26 over 2 years is not a troll at all. it should have been -200 long ago. you are a disgrace to all trolls.
ssumanth

Post by ssumanth »

genius wrote: Just as i expected, Hantuchova said she likes to play at the court for the full year if possible. she likes the pace,bounce and  able to strike in the middle better. she also said regarding the wind that  "one need not play crazy shots.its not about beautiful shotmaking but just to put the extra ball in". -does not sound like sania's game at all.

sania and her team has homework to do here.

.. and then there is our Sania, “who doesn’t talk about it, but just does it”!

So don’t worry Genius, if Sania can be the true genius that she was on Sunday, I’ll send the above “quote” from Tiger, Arnold Palmer. Borg and others to Huntuchova on Wednesday! 8-)
ssumanth

Post by ssumanth »

nballa wrote: hanthucova didnt even need to take her hoodie off.
talk about respect for an opponent. damn.
u think that it is 'hang-man' cool with a 'cold' hang-woman's hood?!

Uh huh, no! un-cool but cold Hantuchova is usually so uptight (& so unsporting) especially at the beginning of her matches, always, that she probably forgot to unhood!

worry not, we'll ask Sania to unhood a sweating and worried Hantuchova 2 minutes into her warmup on Tuesday!
Last edited by ssumanth on Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Thanks for the evocative and lyrical match report, ssumanth. I share your optimism completely, and hope you can make it back there for the QF!
iShUuU

Post by iShUuU »

thankx Ssumanth for such a nice report