Sania Mirza - General Discussion of tennis matters

A new subforum created to discuss Sania Mirza. As a lot of the other tennis player threads were getting overloaded, thus a new forum to discuss Sania Mirza

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Sania Mirza - General Discussion of tennis matters

Post by PKBasu »

Wow! Sania is returning to the circuit next week! Terrific news from a tennis perspective, especially since her old bunny Dinara Safina is playing the French Open final tomorrow...
But I hope she isn't rushing it. The wrist is the key to her game, and nothing should be allowed to jeopardize that. She must be feeling completely fit and comfortable with that wrist before getting back to competitive tennis.

S_K_S
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by S_K_S »

I don't know about you but I am dead scared because it seems too soon to me. I hope my negative thoughts are unfounded.

puneets

Post by puneets »

Sania's post match comments - "I feel like the wrist stops whipping," Sania said. "Maybe I'm missing power. Suddenly it stops moving. Maybe the nerves stop firing. It's very frustrating if it's your weapon."

I hope she gets back the zing soon.

akmohanty

Post by akmohanty »

that's a very alarming comment from her. tells me that we may never get back the old sania !!!  :( hope that's not the case.

jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

akmohanty wrote: that's a very alarming comment from her. tells me that we may never get back the old sania !!!  :( hope that's not the case.
Sania has blazed a new trail deep into the upper echelons of world class women's tennis that can be leveraged by upcoming generations of Indian girls.  She has gone where no Indian woman has gone before - not even close.  And this achievement is even more astonishing given that she did this with less than optimal coaching and facilities in her early development.  When I say that I mean no disrespect to her coaches, parents, and club - but it is a reality in Indian tennis.  Her raw talent for shot making has carried the day thus far.  Since her explosion on to the world stage in 2005 it has obviously sparked a longing in her fans for her to go and stay at the very top of the tennis world.  That may be a little too much to expect.  I really hope that her rehabilitation from this wrist injury is done with the utmost intelligence, patience and with the use of the best know-how & technology available.  It is not easy for her or any one in her camp - or for her impatient fans.  But life happens.

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sania's column from TOI e-paper -
I’ll be back to my best soon

Sania Mirza

IT has been a couple of eventful months since I returned to the circuit after a wrist surgery and as I had suspected, the comeback has not been easy. Only last year, my knee had been operated upon and it took me eight weeks to start feeling confident about taking on the world’s best once again. However, this time it is my all-important right wrist that has undergone surgery and the comeback to top level professional tennis is a bit more challenging than on the last occasion.
  For the first few weeks, I could generate no power in my strokes and in fact, I had no consistency whatsoever. On numerous occasions, I thought I had the ball well under control but the wrist refused to follow what the brain instructed it to do. The frustration was difficult to handle as what used to be a bread-and-butter shot for me was not that easy anymore. The power in my strokes, which was my biggest strength, now felt blunted. I was facing the world-class enemy — but this time without my guns!
  The doctors and my trainer were adamant that the only way to recovery was to play on. The pain would have to be borne until the wrist got accustomed to handling the speed of professional tennis once again. The power and consistency would gradually come back but the only way to achieve that was through grinding repetition in competitive environments.
  I have had to draw on all my experience to even stay in the hunt. Without my biggest weapons, I have had to focus on quickly improving the weaker aspects of my game and to bring them into play. It has been a severe test of character that has matured me as a player.
  Under the trying circumstances, the wins have been occasional, hard-fought and yet, personally satisfying. My victories over the likes of
Pennetta and the seasoned Loit have been landmarks for me on my comeback trail. Striking form in doubles has, of course, been a lot easier. A quarterfinal in Wimbledon and then a semis in Los Angeles have given me something more to cheer about.
  Of course, my singles ranking has taken a tumble as it was bound to do and with it the eternal pessimists’ knives are out, as they would be. However, I have come a long way since I screamed in pain on impact when I hit my first ball 2 months ago. There is still some distance to travel, some adjustments still to be made, but I am not too far away from hitting the ball the way I know I can. TCM

ssumanth

Post by ssumanth »

sameerph wrote: Sania's column from TOI e-paper -
I’ll be back to my best soon
Sania Mirza
IT has been a couple of eventful months since I returned to the circuit after a wrist surgery and as I had suspected, the comeback has not been easy. Only last year, my knee had been operated upon and it took me eight weeks to start feeling confident about taking on the world’s best once again. However, this time it is my all-important right wrist that has undergone surgery and the comeback to top level professional tennis is a bit more challenging than on the last occasion.
   For the first few weeks....
--------------------
Too bad about that Beijing wrist, Sania.
Hang in there, it takes time. (I know - i had wrist surgery too...!)
You are young and u'll heal fully & fast!
Sometimes u'll play better with a lil pain too (I know!), because u'll focus more on centering the ball in the sweet spot, automatically increasing your concentration & focus & stroke mechanics to avoid that jolt of pain!

I have full faith in you - you will get ur ranking back, guaranteed, don't worry, you have tremendous talent - one of the most on the tour, I think.

So hang in there, stay encouraged!  (Sounds better than 'don't be discouraged', no? Esp since you are a pretty high-spirited girl! (Pretty & high-spirited girl sounds better, no??).

Good luck,
God Speed,
All the best,
Sumanth
[thanks for the good-show-with-a-bad-wrist & the good tickets at Carson - to mom & you!)

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Here is the latest from Sania column in TOI -
It’s difficult to compete with destiny

Sania Mirza

Life without dreams would, perhaps, not be worth living! A few dreams may come true, giving one the greatest high that one can ever experience and yet these very dreams may not always unfold the way one wants them to even when they do come true!
  After my injury in late March, I had just one goal in my mind — to recover in time to represent my country at the Beijing Olympics.
  In order to achieve this, I mentally prepared myself to undergo a complicated wrist surgery and then fought through the ordeal of intense pain to reach a level, where I felt, I could compete with a certain amount of confidence.
  However, you cannot compete with destiny! After several weeks of sustained improvement, the wrist started acting up a fortnight before the Games were to begin. I was advised seven days of total rest and was assured that the pain would improve. That was not to be and the wrist flared up on the day I was playing my first round in singles and left me devastated.
  Despite the pain, I could not dream of crying off from my doubles second round match. Sunitha and I tried our very best against the formidable top seeds but fell short although we did have our chances in both the sets. The painkillers that I gulped down allowed me to compete for a while but after the match, I felt very sore and numb upto my forearm.
  Perhaps, I was risking further damage to my wrist by playing at the Olympics but when one plays for one’s nation, it is the heart that rules the mind!
  Abhinav Bindra’s gold medal in shooting would have given not just us, athletes, but the entire nation a huge boost! He has shown us that we, Indians do possess the ability to be the world’s best and his win should inspire all of us.
  My heart goes out to my colleagues, Mahesh Bhupathi and Leander Paes, who missed out on a medal yet again. They were outplayed by none other than Roger Federer and his talented teammate, Wawrinka in the quarterfinal.
  Mahesh and Leander would probably rank as one of the greatest doubles players of their time not to have won a medal at the Olympics.
  But, as I said, you cannot argue with destiny. As I head home from Beijing, I am more determined than ever to sort out my injury problems. I am an Olympian now and that is a dream fulfilled but desire to win a medal remains. TCM

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I agree with the interesting line that "you cannot compete with destiny" .. Very true in Sania's case.  She is very truthful in what she says that the wrist ated up totally uexpectedly, after steadily improving  for several weeks.

Chin up, girl.  You will have more chances later too.

Jay

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sania has signed with Australian trainer Amir Takla & hopes to play few tournaments this year. That is good news -

http://sports.timesofindia.indiatimes.c ... 409349.cms

BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

sameerph wrote:Sania has signed with Australian trainer Amir Takla & hopes to play few tournaments this year. That is good news -
Amir Takla graduated from the University of Melbourne in 1997 with a Bachelor of Physiotherapy and started practicing in Orthopaedics. In 2000 he completed his Masters in Physiotherapy (Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy). Over the past 9 years he has been involved with the Sydney 2000 Olympics Gymnastics and Athletics teams, the Australian and Victorian Gymnastics program as well as being Head physiotherapist for The Australian World Trampoline, Double Mini and tumbling team in 2003 and 2005.
St Kilda Road Medical Centre

BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

After reading more about Amir Takla, it appears that he has worked with elite tennis players in Australia. He has been the physiotherapist for the gymnastic teams, trampoline teams and tumbling teams also. His expertise appears to be rehabilitation of hip joints based on the link provided below. I am sure that Team Sania must have done the legwork to find a suitable physiotherapist to help with Sania's wrist injury.

Amir Takla APA Sports & amp; Musculoskeletal Physiotherapist

Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

Sania has slipped to 91st rank in singles this week :cry: :cry: . It will be very very difficult for her to come back into top 50 again :(

kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

What, no injury protected ranking for her when she is back??

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

You have to e away for 6 months etc, for injury protected ranking. I don't think she is planning to be away that long. She will just have to play some qualies to ake main draws of bigger events, play some Tier-IV type events and go deep quickly, to come back up.

I don't think it is all that difficult for her, provided her wrist does heal properly.

Jay