Sania Mirza - General Discussion of tennis matters

A new subforum created to discuss Sania Mirza. As a lot of the other tennis player threads were getting overloaded, thus a new forum to discuss Sania Mirza

Moderator: Moderators

Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Sania Mirza - General Discussion of tennis matters

Post by Dhruv »

Old topic in the archive thread. Tried to spilt it up into nice chunks but was way too large. Will try and do so over the next little while.
completelyconked

Re: Sania Mirza - General Discussion of tennis matters

Post by completelyconked »

For those who are interested in d/l the Sania-Hingis match, I have a slight problem.It is in MPEG format. The match is a massive 2GB,and I have divided it into 7 segments. A couple of segments are a whopping 800 something MB, and I can't put them on CD and upload. I will try to upload the smaller segments.

Does anyone know anything about this torrent business? If I try to upload on megadownload.com ,can I continue it over a few days?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Torrents are not allowed here according to Dhruv - as they are nearly in the illegal territory or at least in the grey area, if I remember correctly (the telecast was copyrighted, wasn't it?).

Jay
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

Let me clarify what jay said. Torrents as long as they are legal and free of copyright or this site has an exemption or has obtained copyright permission are fine. In fact I will host such files if they are available. Unfortunately with most matches that is not the case.

For more information on torrents go to http://www.bittorrent.com/index.html
completelyconked

I will try to use torrent only for the bigger segments.For the rest I will try to upload to megaupload.com.I will only post the legal links on the messageboard, but I'll PM the torrent links to anyone who is interested.

I'll divide the next match into small segments so that I don't have to use torrent next time.It takes too long!!
x_y_Z_a

Post by x_y_Z_a »

completelyconked

She’s into other activities which aren’t related to tennis but take away a lot of her practice time.
I am definitely not happy to hear about that.She needs to do a lot of work on her game.Her zany game is good enough for top 35,but needs to develop a lot more to crack the top-30 :frown:
she’s also quick with her feet.
:-~
Am I missing something here?Since when did sania become quick?
shakes1974
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by shakes1974 »

replying to CC: i think he means good footwork. sania has good footwork, gets into positon (when ball is within reach) quite gracefully.
completelyconked

At long last i've managed to upload a few match clips.Here's a clip of Sania vs Pin in Bangalore.Its in MPEG format and you should be able to watch it with windows media player(doesn't work with winamp).
MPEG takes up a lot of space,and i've split the clips into small segments of around 70MB.Its pretty haphazard but i'll keep uploading match clips whenever I find time.

Here is the link:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8W2N0L2U
shakes1974

Post by shakes1974 »

Hi c'conked. thx for the bangalore match. what about the sania-hingis match ? that would be very good.
completelyconked

I have the whole Sania-Hingis match,but its Massive!I have to divide it into segments of 5 minutes each.Well worth watching.Some of the tennis from both was just brilliant,closer than the scoreline.I'll keep uploading clips whenever I find time.Just keep checking this thread.

Does anyone know If I can convert MPEG to another format which uses up less space?I downloaded a 20 minute clip of a Seles-Capriati match in another format which was only 125MB.I have a 35 minute clip of Sania-Hingis which is 900MB!!
krinix

Post by krinix »

Heres an interesting one.

India's Mirza hopes to partner Israeli Peer again

http://in.today.reuters.com/news/newsAr ... 9694-1.xml

By Matthew Cronin

INDIAN WELLS (Reuters) - Sania Mirza is hoping to renew her doubles partnership with Israel's Shahar Peer despite protests from some Muslim and Jewish groups.

Mirza, whose poor recent form has seen her slip from a career-high ranking of 31 at the end of 2005 to 45th, said she would have played with Peer at this week's Pacific Life Open, but the Israeli player had already booked a partner.

"You shouldn't mix up sports with anything else," the 19-year-old told Reuters at the March 8-19 tournament in Indian Wells.

"If I had to follow the stereotype of what a woman athlete should be in India, then I wouldn't be playing tennis because there aren't many girls who pick up rackets when they are six. If you believe it's right, if your loved ones believe it's right, then it's right."

Mirza and Peer united for the first time when they reached the quarter-finals of the event in Bangkok last October, but their partnership was met with anger by some religious groups.

"We are playing sports," Peer said at the time in Thailand. "We don't think about politics. It's a good idea to bring (cultures) together, but we will play together because we want to and will have good results."

VERY EMOTIONAL

Mirza enjoyed a breakout season in 2005, capturing her first WTA title in Hyderabad and reaching the fourth round of the U.S. Open before succumbing to Russia's Maria Sharapova.

But her results in 2006 have been poor. She has won just three singles matches in five events since the turn of the year.

"You should never be satisfied. People come up with that I'm the first Indian woman to accomplish blah, blah, blah, and that's the hardest part for me," said the 28th seed for Indian Wells.

"I would like to believe I'm tough enough to cope with all this pressure, but everyone has their moments," she said. "We're not machines, we're human. We have our breakdowns and feel lonely.

"I know the pressure is getting harder by the day," she said. "People in India get very emotional about their heroes, but I'm going to try to block out as much as I can."

Under the tutelage of Roger Federer's coach Tony Roche, Mirza has changed her service action and believes she's making progress.

"The second year is tougher," she said. "People know your weaknesses more. That's why I'm changing my serve now because people were taking advantage of it. It couldn't get worse, so it had to get better."
completelyconked

Wow.Tough kids.Good on them.I'd love to see them play together,and I think it would be great for the sport,but i'm not sure that this is such a good idea.Sania gets into enough trouble as it is,and this would be slightly more serious than publicity seekers trying to buy a headline or two.I'd much rather she did this once she is more mature.If they are willing to go ahead and say screw you to conservatives,then so be it.I hope she knows what she is getting into.
BTW when did these groups make a fuss about them playing together?I haven't heard anything about this.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

I don't think there has been any serious fuss about these two playing together, but the Israeli press wrote stories when these two did not play together at Doha. So the issue did come out in the open - but I don't think any of the muslim country press guys had written about it - and there wasn't any demonstrative protests from muslims. At the same time I am sure Sania has heard murmers of protest from various sources about playing with an Israeli. She is probably also aware that there could be more serious protests down the line.

Jay
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

The cartoons fiasco trumped this little tennis story. No big deal either way IMO. What's telling though is that I sense very little of last year's fiestiness, just more weariness. She should play with her Peer. :D