Sania Mirza - General Discussion of non-tennis matters

A new subforum created to discuss Sania Mirza. As a lot of the other tennis player threads were getting overloaded, thus a new forum to discuss Sania Mirza

Moderator: Moderators

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Sania Mirza - General Discussion of non-tennis matters

Post by jaydeep »

Rediff published few photos of Sania from IPL 6 matches.

The many moods of sensational Sania Mirza at IPL 6
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

Yes saw her on TV....
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

viewtopic.php?f=8232&t=118&start=3285#p4118954
Postby Sandeep » 21 January 2005, 13:34:24

Some one mentioned she has fake hair. Who said that. And pulling shirt down and all, is something to do with her religion I guess rather than fashion. i accept that Sania is a kind of fashion oriented girl, but these two instances which you quoted is nothing to do with fashion.
I did, in the post below.
Sania Mirza - General Discussion of tennis matters
Postby kujo » 21 January 2005, 12:00:52

Not sure if any one cares (with all the excitement around):
In the first set, Sania was probably a bit nervous and her game suffered, I agree. But, more than the nerves I also saw her checking her skirt (pulling it down), checking her hair, pulling her cap etc. She was on the court moving around like a "doll"! :)

Somehow I think the "fashion/modelling" stuff got into her head a bit. She had "fake" hair in a ponytail for god's sake!! (when playing the match of her life)!!

On the other hand I should give her credit for getting rid of the fake hair in second set. She stopped worrying about how she looked on the tennis court and was clearly focused on her game to do all the talking.
Here is the video of that match. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmr2FNCiX7k
make your own judgement. see it before and after the 1 minute mark.

kujo
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Wow that is the weirdest YouTube tennis video I have seen: it only shows Sania moving between the points, with absolutely NO TENNIS shown on the 2minute video. I really don't care whether or not Sania changed her hair-style between the first and second set (although I wonder when she found the time to do that...). I wish I could watch the second set again some time: it was spectacular stuff!
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Yes, and a very appropriate video for this thread on "non-tennis" matters!

There simply was no video available of that entire match in youtube. My point was to show the difference between first half and second half of that match in terms of Sania's apperance - fake hair especially. This video clearly showed it....
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

My impression about the skirt adjustment in this video was that something about the fit of the garments was bothering her (itching or chafing) or she was simply not used to that style of clothing. It wasn't so much about trying to address the appropriateness of the dress via-a-vis the criticism from the religious quarters.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Which was the fake hair? The one in the first part, or the second? I could imagine neither being fake, or either having a fake thing put inside, or hair twisted and clipped etc. We need a woman or hairstyle style expert to comment, really.
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

The one in the first part is fake hair. Remember this was 9 years back, don't look at current images. I had a good idea of what her hair looked like before that match and after that match (and you can notice the normal hair - during the second half of it).

My general feeling at that time was, exactly what I wrote in that post: "Somehow I think the "fashion/modelling" stuff got into her head a bit." On that occasion, and it being the first time she was meeting a top-star in a Grand Slam tournament with a huge TV viewing audience...

Atithee, agreed it could be a costume or a religious issue as well. By constantly checking all 3 together (skirt, cap, hair), I felt that she was not her usual "free" self to go for the shots...
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

I asked my wife to look into the video. She was puzzled because she thought we follow scores in this forum. But here is what she said.

Its very much possible it's not fake. Sania must clipped the hair from the middle and let the loose ends free. My wife wasn't surprised at all.... So maybe it's not fake
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Great! Now, she is accused of even thinking of what haircut she is going to get in between sets and trimmed her hair between sets. That will certainly get the anti-fashionistas going even more.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Omkara wrote:But here is what she said. Its very much possible it's not fake. Sania must clipped the hair from the middle and let the loose ends free. My wife wasn't surprised at all.... So maybe it's not fake
That is pretty much what I thought too. It is possible to clip the middle part. Women do these things when they sweat or if the hair is generally irritating them. They do it without even thinking about it sometimes. Of course, those with a fashion sense would be more used to doing the fashionable adjustments. I have seen Sania with somewhat of a fashionable style often, but I also remember seeing her playing, looking like she just got out out bed, threw something on and came to play.

But we are a bunch of REALLY slow guys, to be discussing something about 9 years later :) ....

Jay
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I really don't understand the obsession with her hair-style in that match. It was irrelevant. For those of us who saw that second set, Sania played simply sublime tennis, and nothing can contaminate that memory -- even a weird video purportedly showing her to be interested in anything but tennis on the biggest day of her young career. Here is one of my posts during that second set, which hopefully gives a flavour of it -- written while running to and from gawking incredulously at the TV:

PKBasu wrote:Commentator got it right: "Mirza was still looking like a junior who was over-matched against Serena in the first set, but she has shown in the second set that she belongs at this level. And in the past 3-4 games, she has in fact outplayed Serena". High praise indeed.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

PKB, it was irrelevant but there was a discussion that needed to end. I hope it has. And yes it was wonderful match and all hope and hype on Sania built around that match.
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Non-tennis items, a lot of time does affect your tennis performance. That was the angle, why this issue of fake hair was even mentioned....

Once that additional piece of accessory was removed, and a simple ponytail was in place, she was her usual swinging self.

Too bad, you could have seen similar performance in first set as well...
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

Sania Mirza’s ‘unacceptable’ demands to be chief guest

:rofl: at these demands if they actually are true!