Sania - Conditioning, Foot Speed, Mobility and Coaching ..

A new subforum created to discuss Sania Mirza. As a lot of the other tennis player threads were getting overloaded, thus a new forum to discuss Sania Mirza

Moderator: Moderators

genius

Re: Sania - Conditioning, Foot Speed, Mobility and Coaching ..

Post by genius »

Atithee wrote: Sania, in spite of the wide spread international coverage, was rarely spoken in those terms except by some of us in this forum and Indians in general (yes, I do remember Serena commenting on her Top-10 potential but what else do you expect her to say while on her first trip to India?).
let me give you some background. It was LDVTennis ,a long time fan of steffi and  a serious tennis fan with technical as well as startegic tennis knowledge who first talked about sania's immense potential.
he is a yale PHD and american from what i can gather.

But he solved some of the key mysteries of appraising potential for me. I picked it up from there and posted his views there.At that time only i and Completely conked(who was also in wta world) were sold on this idea in 2005. Infact we were criticised in this forum for posting those ideas. read those in "sania the shotmaker thread"

I tried to persuade others around to my view. sooner, others fans picked it up . its for themselves to explain how much they accepted LDV's or my views .Though my feeling is, others were willing to view it more realistically with time than they were willing to do initially.

Experts are divided about sania, because she had serious weaknesses like the serve and movement. even LDVTennis was unsure about how much she can overcome the wekanesses.

for instance if you talk ana and vaidisova, their serve and forehand are largely in place. Its easier and safer to bet on them. they were able to rise easily as shown because  they never had these serious weaknesses.

Let me tell you this. A player with an exceptional serve or forehand would  be a top player in the game.Players with exceptional forehand have dominated the game. Because that's how tennis is and will be.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

Atithee wrote:
jai_in_canada wrote: I think Sania being an Indian and a Muslim at that has played a part in the coverage previously.  But in this particular case I think the coverage is because her brand of tennis is just gosh-darned exciting and entertaining in the other wise somnolent world of WTA.  I think Tsonga is also covered because he generates so much excitement and has so much charisma.
However, aren't Dani and Murray in the same article an antithesis of this notion?
There are always exceptions to every rule!  :wink:
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

genius wrote:It was LDVTennis ,a long time fan of steffi and  a serious tennis fan with technical as well as startegic tennis knowledge who first talked about sania's immense potential. he is a yale PHD and american from what i can gather.

But he solved some of the key mysteries of appraising potential for me. I picked it up from there and posted his views there. At that time only i and Completely conked (who was also in wta world) were sold on this idea in 2005. Infact we were criticised in this forum for posting those ideas. read those in "sania the shotmaker thread"
I too had agreed with you, genius.  As I don't know much technical details of tennis, I waited and waited, and really only joined in the 7th page of that thread (which was actually a compilation stuff posted elsewhere which I moved together) in Jan 2006.  I complained that you all were all writing long posts going round and round on nuanced points, that nobody would have the patience to read .. Then I gleefully proceeded to do the same thing - after all, I had perfected that style of rambling around here :)

Incidentally, the first one to speak definitively about Sania's uniqueness was Sandeep.  Sandeep had predicted top-50 and top-20 back in 2004 for her, much before she was even in top-250.  See this archived thread discussion in August 2005 when I finally got to see Sania play live, at Acura classic, and started talking about my guesses on what developed her unique shotmaking (the seeds of the "no thinking" theory) ..

Jay
shibi

Post by shibi »

genius wrote:
At that time only i and Completely conked(who was also in wta world) were sold on this idea in 2005.
I think you mean Tennisrox, who used to post (and still does rarely) in wtaworld. I generally used to love his posts in Sania forum. I don't think Tennisrox and C'conked are the same, as I find their writing styles different. But Tennisrox has posted here in the name of colinjones. Someone (I think Jai_in_canada) has theorised that c'conked and colinjones (tennisrox) are the same person but I am not convinced.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

shibi wrote: Someone (I think Jai_in_canada) has theorised that c'conked and colinjones (tennisrox) are the same person but I am not convinced.
They are.  I posted a mail directly from this guy in the "multiple identities" forum only a few days ago.
BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by BSharma »

shibi wrote: . . . Someone (I think Jai_in_canada) has theorised that c'conked and colinjones (tennisrox) are the same person but I am not convinced.
I had made a Top Ten list about Colin Jones/CC/Tennisrox in 2006.  x_y_Z_a asked me that Colin Jones would not understand my #9 and see the discussion that followed and read what Colin Jones wrote about his multiple personalities in the forums.
BSharma wrote:
Why I love England, or is it Britain?

9.  The latest James Bond looks as phony as Sanjay Dutt or Shah Rukh Khan trying to pass off as college kids in a Bollywood movie.  (James Bond will never be the same  :( )

1.  Colin Jones.  :D
:Offtopic:
shibi

Post by shibi »

Now I'm convinced :). Thanks Atithee & BS.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Me too.  Completely Conkvinced :-)
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Regarding Sania's comment about having a wrist surgery, she is deciding to cure the symptom rather than the cause.  Perhaps a slightly modified wrist or shot mechanics would help her.  However, it is easier for amateur people to take a hit in their game and do that but as Sania said not easy for a top-30 player.  I guess the fear is that her only top-10 weapon, her forehand, will not be there if she changes her grip.  I do not know how long she is going to play, but, by reasonable estimates on the lower side maybe 3-4 years.  So, she is gambling that surgical repair will allow her to play a few years and then perhaps a few more surgeries to take care of the pain will take her through her career.  I do not know if small changes can be made to her grip and ease the pressure.  Did she see a biomechanical expert (or whatever they call them)?  Most possibly she has and found that small changes cannot fix the problem.  Maybe she can avoid playing these 6 weeks at a time on the hard courts, and with adequate downtime in between tournaments can rest her wrist and not cause it to inflame.  Managing that injury is very important, imho.  It may be worth trying to fix her weight transfer and movements and rotation on the wrist motions to try it out in a few tournaments.  She can always go back to her original grip.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Sania to have wrist surgery; out for four months.

NewsLink
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Better to do it and see how it all turns out in the end.   Hope all goes well and you will get well fast, Sania!

The usual Olympics year bad news hits India in every sport.   If it takes the reported 4 months itself, we are looking at a return the week of Olympics.

Jay
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Good luck Sania!!  Keep up that fitness regime and I am sure you'll come out better and stronger!! 
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

So, the sunita - sania olympics pairing is out the window then?!

Get well soon Sania!!

-kujo
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I think they may make it in on the basis of their combined ranks without a wildcard, quite possibly, anyway.  Yes, a top-10 doubles ranking for SM and an entry with that, is not possible now.

The first thing is to hear if she will be available for Olympics at all though ...

Jay
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

I hope I'm wrong, but 4 months might actually be an optimistic prediction in such a case.  Rushing back can be very risky.  Olympics should not drive her decision, IMHO, because it could jeopardize her long term career.  Again, I hope I'm wrong and that she recovers quickly.