Sania - Conditioning, Foot Speed, Mobility and Coaching ..

A new subforum created to discuss Sania Mirza. As a lot of the other tennis player threads were getting overloaded, thus a new forum to discuss Sania Mirza

Moderator: Moderators

completelyconked

Post by completelyconked »

guest wrote:All the points made here have merit. Sadly, facts can't be changed. I will just sit back and wait for Team Sania to produce results in the "second year and beyond" on the tour. I can say a lot about this but we'll just let results be the final word on it. Please no excuses and "oh, she was so good in that one set she won," etc. Let's just concentrate our discussion based on the "W-L column" rather than "potential to be XYZ" from here on.
We are not glossing over her weaknesses.We are just being realistic.Rome was not built in a day.If she loses to players like Czink next year,believe me, we will be much harder on her :wink:
shaili
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by shaili »

so many opinions - that too so diverse!

whether farrington is the 'right' travelling coach for sania or not?

will she be able to benefit from the wek long fitness clinic?

will sania's 'indian' build be a problem at the fitness clinic?

will she actually cause damage to her tennis career by going for this fitness clinic?

etc etc???

i think team sania is the best judge. we may each have our personal views on the coaching and fitness programmes, but her team knows best. at every stage of sania's career they have planned the preparation for the next stage. the plans have mostly worked well so far. she has achieved her goal of top 50, hasnt she?

i think we should just wait for this fitness session to be over. i am sure team sania has thought it out and are prepared for all consequences.

the important thing is not what she does in the immediate future or in the next few tournaments, but how she sustains and survives in the top 50 for atleast a year. training and fitness is going to be a very crucial part in this.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

i think team sania is the best judge.
Very true.

However, some of the trainers in USA are known to push some athletes very hard, and the resulting injuries have led to loss of playing time lasting few months. I am sure that Team Sania will keep a close eye on Sania and keep her from getting injured in the process.
puneets

Post by puneets »

shaili wrote:i think team sania is the best judge. we may each have our personal views on the coaching and fitness programmes, but her team knows best
This is obviously true (in this case).

At the same time, it's nice to have a conversation and discussion about what the forum members think.

But I won't say that "team sania" is the best judge everytime. Sometimes, the outsider view can be more helpful (eg from consultants).
potato

Post by potato »

Wow, Pat Etcheberry! Impressed. If she can get through that training, she has my utmost respect :)

I remember watching a player on the Tennis Channel (Fish maybe?) during an Etcheberry training session and screaming that it was hell LOL.
Insider

Post by Insider »

In response to comments in the general Sania thread
completelyconked wrote: But i think Sania's forehand would be noticable even on the men's side(esp if it is in fact as big as roddick's ).I have actually heard ppl go 'jesus' on watching her rip that forehand .So much more than just power.Once she figures out that there is so much more to her forehand than trying to pound everything at 100mph she'll be awesome.She should put more topspin on her forehand shots,as she doesn't do that often enough.She'll increase her accuracy,and that shot will become even more dangerous with more variety.

Steffi was really difficult to figure out because her forehand had so much variety,aside from more power than any shot ever seen before.Like federer's. The same reason why Roddick's Bazooka forehand,is no match for federer's fantastic wristy FH.
Hey, our boy Sunil Kumar has a wristy forehand also...
Nate

Post by Nate »

Getting too much of wrists involved is an invitation to the injury. Federer turning of wrists to impart top-spin or angles does increase his chances of a wrist injury later. If Federer pulls it off, doesn't mean it's good for everybody.
It probably would be alright for rec. players but at the top level where tennis is played with so much power, it's not such a good idea. Playing with western forehand grip is a better option and that's why it's been so popular among the players. Off late Federer is also seen trying to adjust to the semi-western grip for his forehand.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Getting too much of wrists involved is an invitation to the injury.
Nate brings up a very good point. I do not know how strong is Sunil's wrist, but Federer does appear to have a strong wrist and big muscles in the forearm to support the wrist joint.

:Offtopic:
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sandeep »

Is Sania plannig to change her travelling coach?

http://www.hindu.com/2005/10/02/stories ... 401800.htm

From article it appears as if she is looking for Federer's coach Roche.
Roche is being sounded for the undoubtedly expensive assignment (it is roughly estimated that it would cost about $10,000 per week) is to mainly improve upon Sania's serves.
If Roche comes at 10K per week isn't Bob Brett more expensive? Or are they at same level? The other day Jay said that 130K is equal to 30 to 40 weeks of coaching. That makes it 3k per week. I don't think Bob Brett is that cheap considering that Roche charges 10K per week.

At this rate of 10K per week (assuming that Bob Brett is a bit more expensive) SAAP's figure of 65 lakhs seems to be correct.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Don't believe all these numbers given to the newspapers .. Tough for me to believe that Roche will cost $10K a week .. If he is just coaching and travelling with you to 30 weeks of tennis a year without coaching anybody else (you have to be a top-5 type player for that!), yeah, I can believe that he might charge some $200K for the year (plus travel and hotel - which would add up to $10K per week) ..

If you want him to come down to India and coach her exclusively for three weeks somewhere, I can again understand some $25-30K for three weeks total expense - but even that looks too much to me.

If he charges $30K for 3 weeks of coaching for Sania in Australia, I say go to somebody else! That is too much money - and even Roche shouldn't be charging that.

I may be wrong in my understanding of how much the coaches charge though.. This is something I have not looked all that closely into.

Jay
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

Isnt she supposed to be in Florida in her month off for that super trainer?
genius

Post by genius »

i feel expertise from the best is invaluble . she shud go for the best whenever possible and she shud make sure to get the best out of it.

Learning some vital stuff may be much important at this "establishing" stage than money.

[quote]
"he decision to hire Roche was taken after the think tank analysed Sania's game immediately after the US Open through extensive study of video footage and came to the conclusion that her serve is the weakest link in her game. [\quote]

ROFL! does it require an extensive study at all? it was so obvious(though not to everyone here).From the jankovic match in dubai, i have been crying it aloud.

what does the think tank consist of BTW? MB,father,coach?
completelyconked

Nate wrote:Getting too much of wrists involved is an invitation to the injury. Federer turning of wrists to impart top-spin or angles does increase his chances of a wrist injury later. If Federer pulls it off, doesn't mean it's good for everybody.
It probably would be alright for rec. players but at the top level where tennis is played with so much power, it's not such a good idea. Playing with western forehand grip is a better option and that's why it's been so popular among the players. Off late Federer is also seen trying to adjust to the semi-western grip for his forehand.
Probably,but how come Steffi never had any problems with her wrists?Her forehand was just as wristy as Roger's.Not to mention VVS Laxman and his wrists.He doesn't seem to have problems :).Anyway, I thought that most players had switched to western grips because they are less error-prone than eastern forehands which require impeccable timing.

I'm not so sure changing grips is a good idea this late in Roger's career.Western forehands are so one-dimensional.I prefer Steffi and her eastern forehand anyday to the utterly blah forehands we see nowadays.None of these modern players can pull off the kind of magical shots Steffi used to play.Sania is the only player i've seen who can come close to pulling off shots like that,and she doesn't use a western grip.

Anyway, what about Sharapova and her problems with her pectoral muscle?She uses a western grip.I think Venus,and many other players using a western grip have had the same problem.It depends on a particular players build and capacity.
completelyconked

Insider wrote:

Hey, our boy Sunil Kumar has a wristy forehand also...
I'd love to watch him play.Does he pack a lot of power in his forehand too?
completelyconked

nothingnew wrote:Is Sania plannig to change her travelling coach?

http://www.hindu.com/2005/10/02/stories ... 401800.htm

From article it appears as if she is looking for Federer's coach Roche.
Roche is being sounded for the undoubtedly expensive assignment (it is roughly estimated that it would cost about $10,000 per week) is to mainly improve upon Sania's serves.
If .
Wow!Roche,federer's coach!Is Roche going to be Sania's travelling coach for a whole year??I hope he can do something about her damn serve!

I think he was instrumental in getting Roger to use more of the slice BH.Unfortunately,his topspin backhand hasn't looked quite so effective since!He slices everything!