Sania - Conditioning, Foot Speed, Mobility and Coaching ..

A new subforum created to discuss Sania Mirza. As a lot of the other tennis player threads were getting overloaded, thus a new forum to discuss Sania Mirza

Moderator: Moderators

qube

Post by qube »

Good points being raised here, especially the offence/defence theory.

Defensive play can change the whole face of the game, not only by avoiding unforced errors (remember the US Open), but also by tiring out the opponent.

It's like "American boxing" (thats what my kickboxing instructor calls it), where you give a few steady jabs with the left before swinging with the right.

You play defensive shots and then finish off with a winner.

Man, I love sports :mrgreen:
S_K_S
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by S_K_S »

Doesn't this topic fall under "Conditioning, Foot Speed, Mobility and Coaching"?

(I think the two threads should be merged and the name of the thread could be modified to reflect the contents of the thread. Can some mod. merge the two threads? BSharma)
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

Ok, I merged improving Sania's serve thread with Conditioning, Foot Speed, Mobility and Coaching.
enthusiast

Post by enthusiast »

my two cents worth:

http://www.tennisone.com/magazine/gener ... teward.php

This article is about myskina. It talks about on-court "recovery". It is about foot speed + shot selection.
BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by BSharma »

Welcome enthusiast.

The link mentioned by you does not take me to the intended article about Myskina. Can you tell us how to access that article?
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

It has been suggested that a tennis player can improve the court coverage by anticipating the ball early.

Here is a scientific study that shows that players can improve their anticipation of the tennis ball. I do not know if Sania's anticipation of the ball is average or great for an elite tennis player, but it appears from this study that it can be improved. The study did not look at improvement in elite tennis players, however.

Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied - Volume 8(4) - Page 259

Anticipation skill in a real-world task: Measurement, training, and transfer in tennis.
by Williams, A. Mark; Ward, Paul; Knowles, John M.; Smeeton, Nicholas J.
from Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied. 2002 Dec Vol 8(4) 259-270

Anticipation skill in tennis was examined using realistic film simulations, movement-based response measures, and a portable eye movement recording system. The 8 skilled players (mean age 23 yrs) were faster than their 8 less skilled counterparts (mean age 27.2 yrs) in anticipating the direction of opponents' tennis strokes, with this superior performance being based, at least in part, on more effective visual search behaviors. The processes mediating superior performance were then modeled in groups of recreational tennis players using video simulation, instruction, and feedback. Players who received perceptual training improved their performance on laboratory- and field-based tests of anticipation when compared with matched placebo and control groups that did not receive any instruction regarding expert performance strategies. The approach used may have practical utility in a variety of performance contexts.
enthusiast

Post by enthusiast »

Sorry. I guess one has to be a member of tennisone website. This article was free for all those who visited the site when it was first posted. The title is: Anastasia Myskina – Brilliant Court Steward - Jim McLennan . It is under the features. It is possible for me to mail this article to you. You may then write about it in this column, if you wish.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

enthusiast,

I think I found your article at another link. I am happy that you pointed this article out because it is interesting reading material.

All About the Russians - Meaning it's All About Footwork. By Jim McLennan, TennisOne Editor
enthusiast

Post by enthusiast »

Thanks. However I meant another article. Here is clip from the article I mentioned:....

After contacting the ball players are advised to recover to the midline of the opponent's subsequent angle of play. Further the recovery steps culminate in a ready hop on this midline at the precise moment the opponent contacts the ball. Finally, when playing from the baseline, crosscourt drives reduce subsequent recovery steps, down the line drives increase the subsequent amount of recovery steps. Myskina performs
When Serena, Venus, Jennifer, or any of the big hitters are pulled out of position, often their reply reaches the opponent slightly before they have completed their recovery footwork. They can remain in the rally, but are often scrambling for the next few balls. This over hitting, robs them of recovery time, and reduces the difficulty the opponent has in deciding what to do (for the court is obviously open) and how to do it.
On the other hand, when Anastasia recovers perfectly on a shot that Venus, or Jennifer, or Elena presumed would open the court, at this moment they (Venus, Jennifer or Elena) must decide whether to restart the rally and create another opening, or whether they should go for the open court. There is truly a moment's hesitation here. Further, if they decide to go for the open court or even for the winner, they are likely to try and play it ever so closer to the line (for now they need to). Finally, if they drive the ball down the line to the open court but do not force Myskina, then her crosscourt reply has them out of position yet again.
Combine indecision, playing the ball closer to the line, and playing the ball down the line and subsequent poor recovery positioning – and I think you get 112 unforced errors committed against an excellent court steward.

shaili

Post by shaili »

how long is farrington's contract as sania's coach. any idea?

how many months before one should start assessing the coach's performance? or whether there is a need to change the coach.

some forum members have suggested more high profile names as options for sania's coach. should we really discuss that now or maybe after 6 months?
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Sania and Team Sania are the best judges of whether Farrington is the right coach for Sania or not. We cannot base his performance solely on Sania's results or her improvement in her serves. Moving up from a #34 rank to top 20 is not easy, and hence her progress up the ladder will be slower from now onwards.

I spoke at length with a person who knows Brad Gilbert quite well, and his opinion is that it is difficult for many players to work with Brad Gilbert. Brad apparently talks a lot and a player has to get used to his constant advice during practice sessions. He felt that Brad Gilbert is a very good coach but he comes with a lot of baggage.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

Makes my day, and I'm not Arun! :-)
Etcheberry will make her feel muscles she never knew she had. Lots of hard running in the sand and up hills / dunes, weights to stregthen shoulder, core training, and plyometics for explosive power from the large muscles. You won't recognize her body when Etcheberry is finished with her. This is great news.
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

EXCELLENT! Man team Sania is really doing the necessary things to make her great. Its rare when you see the combination of great talent and planning. Get her stronger and her fitness up, as well as improve her serve and strategy and she gonna be rocketing upwards!
gvhvhg

Post by gvhvhg »

Great news! Etcheberry is THE fitness guru in tennis who has worked with the likes of Jim Courier and Justine Henin-Hardenne, both known for their fitness.