2012 Majors / WGC events

All golf tournaments threads should be posted here.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: 2012 Majors / WGC events

Post by PKBasu »

Vijay finished with an even par round, which leaves him currently on T10. Very decent performance from him, and it is interesting to find his contemporary Ernie Els at T2 (after a very long slump, even longer than Vijay's), while Tiger has slipped to T5.
Lahiri finished with a 3-over par round today, and currently lies T31. So it seems he has narrowly missed Jyoti's mark for the best performance by an Indian at the British Open.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Ernie won the Open when the leader Adam Scott scored 4 bogeys in last 4 holes ... So after 10 yrs Ernie won the Major ... :notworthy:
suresh

Post by suresh »

IncredibEls!
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Marvelous Lahiri! Never thought that he'll make a cut. But not only he made the cut, he proved that he belongs there! T31 at British Open is great result especially for a rookie. Its time to look forward to the new generation of Lahiri and Bhullar.

Here is an article on Lahiri's Dream Week
The 25-year-old signed off his major debut with a battling three-over-par 73 on a tough day at Royal Lytham and St Annes, finishing on three-over-par 283 and well ahead of the likes of former Open champions Padraig Harrington and Paul Lawrie and Rory McIlroy and Lee Westwood, ranked second and third in the world respectively.

“I won’t be intimidated anymore. If I can come here and hold my ground, I can hold it in any event and any field looking into the future,” said Lahiri, who is a two-time Asian Tour winner.

“I am so much richer from the experience and confidence that I have gained this week. I think I’ve gained a lot of respect from the players. I think I can rate my game a bit higher now than when I came here initially.
Jeev Milkha Singh, who finished seven shots behind Lahiri, predicted a bright future for his young countryman.

“I think it’s fantastic. He’s a youngster, he’s hungry and he wants to prove himself. I think he’ll do well. He’s got a lot of talent. He just needs to come out and prove himself. The sky is the limit for him. If he keeps working hard, keep working on the right stuff, he’ll do well anywhere in the world,” said Singh, who is a two-time Asian Tour number one.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Lahiri was comfortably the top finisher from Asia at this year's Open championship, so this write-up on the APGA website is well-earned. Thongchai Jaidee fell away drastically at the end.
Prem

Post by Prem »

Jeev, by virtue of his win qualified for next weeks WGC-Bridgestone Invitational.
How life changes after a big win.
Jeev was to play the €1m Austrian Open this week and take a break during WGC and US PGA Champs weeks (entire August).
Now he gets to play the $8.5m WGC event and can even get into the last major or a PGA event on invite.
Great time for Jeev to try and move up in rankings...
:goodluck: Jeev in USA.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Jeev is T63 after 3 rounds of the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational. The third round of 71 was actually his best; he had a poor 73 and 74 in the first two rounds.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Jeev finished T67 in the WGC Bridgestone Invitational :-( .
Prem

Post by Prem »

Jeev gets a chance to play the last Major starting today.
Good luck Jeev after playing 4 rounds at WGC- first event in US for many months!!!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Poor start for Jeev: he shot a 4-over par round, and is in danger of missing the cut (which appears likely to be taken at 1-over). Jeev will need to play a much better second round to survive into the weekend.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

An even more disastrous round from Jeev -- he shot 83, and was 15-over par at the halfway mark, missing the cut by a country mile.

But there is a touch of deja vu about the leaderboard at the half-way stage of the 2012 PGA championship. Rolling back the years (perhaps inspired by Els' performance at the Open), joint leader at the half-way stage is Vijay Singh -- alongside Tiger Woods!!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Rain interrupted play halfway through the third round of the PGA championship. But Vijay Singh was 2-under par after 7 holes, while Tiger Woods was 3-over at the same stage. So Vijay still has a share of the lead, while Tiger has slipped to T11.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

After the end of the delayed R3, Vijay and Tiger are T6 on 2-under par, five shots behind Rory McIlroy, who has the sole lead going into the final round of the tournament.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Vijay Singh faded over the last two rounds, sinking to T31 at the end of the tournament -- reflecting his general inability in recent years to sustain form for all four days of a big tournament, especially a major.

Tiger also did poorly, but better than Vijay -- finishing T11. Rory McIlroy won by 8 strokes over the rest of the field -- raising the obvious question: is Rory the new Tiger? Certainly appears so. I wonder whether Tiger will ever get his mojo back in the majors to build up a new rivalry with Rory. (The old rivalry with Sergio Garcia went nowhere, because Garcia failed to win any majors at all; the eventual rivalries were with Vijay and Els, of whom the latter has had a sudden resurgence albeit remaining extremely inconsistent).
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

The last WGC event of the year is going on and it is already half way. The HSBC Champions is the only WGC event that is held in Asia. Jeevmilkha Singh and Gaganjeet Bhullar are the two Indian representatives in the tournament.

Midway, the big names like Phil Mickelson(T6), Ernie Els(T2), Adam Scott(T2) have come on the top, with Ernie Els playing a course record breaking round of -9 today. However, the leader Louis Oosthuizen performance has put all the big names in his wake as he followed his 7 under first round with course record 9 under (matching Els) in second round to lead by 5 strokes.

Gagandeep Bhullar had a good second round of 4 under after not so good 1 over first round. Bhullar was the only player who could not play a practice round before the start of the tournament because Visa delays did not allow him to reach earlier.

Jeev was having a decent round as after the 11th hole he was 4 under, but a double bogie on 12 and a bogie on 15th stalled his drive and he only finished 1 under. He played an even par round on first day.

What they said

GAGANJEET BHULLAR after SECOND ROUND 68 (-4), TOTAL 141 (-3) wrote:It seems like the game is coming back. Today, I hit the ball so good. It was quite surprising to see myself missing so many putts. Two more days, hopefully I’ll start reading the greens a bit better. I’m looking forward to shooting some low digits. This kind of grass, we hardly play on them throughout the season. I guess the more you play on them this week, the better you become. That’s the goal setting for me. After playing 36 holes on these greens, I have a better idea for tomorrow’s round. I’m going back to work on my 10 to 12 footers. That’s the goal tomorrow. If I put those in, I’ll be right in it. The guys are going low, this is a WGC and we’ve got the world’s best players here. Guys are going low. You never know, just a few more good rounds and you’ll be up there.
JEEV MILKHA SINGH after SECOND ROUND 71 (-1), TOTAL 143 (-1) wrote:Played well, shot one under today. I think bad error on 12. I took a wrong club for my second shot. I came up short and tried to get greedy with my chip. I chipped and it came back and then chipped it past and two putted for a six. After that, 15, I hit it right and then missed the green and missed the up and down. Putted better today. The scores are there to be taken. There are five par fives which are all reachable. You’ve got to shoot four or five under every day. Shooting one under or even par puts you back behind the field. I’m still making sure that I’m getting better with my finger and I feel I need to sharpen up my short game. I’m working towards that and hopefully it’ll come around.
Two more days to go and hopefully both Jeev and Gagan will rise up the leaderboard in this big event.

POSITION PLAYER OVERALL R1 R2 TOTAL
1 Oosthuizen, Louis -16 65 63 128
T2 Els, Ernie -11 70 63 133
T2 Scott, Adam -11 65 68 133
T4 Dufner, Jason -10 68 66 134
T4 Lowry, Shane -10 66 68 134
T27 Bhullar, Gaganjeet -3 73 68 141
T38 Singh, Jeev Milkha -1 72 71 143