INDIAN GOLFERS ON THE MOVE - PLAYING ON FOREIGN TOURS

All golf tournaments threads should be posted here.

Moderator: Moderators

BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

LPGA Sectional Qualifying Tournament 2004

Post by BSharma »

Nisha Sadekar is in the field for the LPGA Tour sectional qualifying tournament at Mission Hills Country Club, Rancho Mirage, California from Sept. 21-24, 2004.

There are two sectional tournaments and one LPGA Final Qualifying Tournament from Dec. 1-5, 2004 at Daytona Beach, Florida. Smriti Mehra will be in the final qualifying tournament.

:goodluck: Nisha in the sectional tournament.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Nisha Sadekar had a round of 75 (+3) on the first day and is tied for 75th place. Today is the second day of the four-round LPGA sectional tournament. The top 30 and ties will join other golfers including Smriti Mehra at the LPGA Final Qualifying Tournament.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Nisha failed to make the cut at the sectional qualifying tournament today. She had rounds of 75 and 83.

IMHO, Nisha should spend another year honing her skills in the Futures Tour and then try to get into the LPGA in 2006.

:goodluck: Nisha.
V Krishnaswamy

Indian open season in Singapore

Post by V Krishnaswamy »

Most of the top Indians begin their season in Sinagpore next week at joint-sanctioned Caltex Singapore Masters. I spoke to Jeev and Atwal, both will be there, as well as Jyoti. Shiv Kapur, is on waiting list after his 10th place on Q-SChool. Amandeep Johl, Harmeet Kahlon, Rahil Gangjee and Gaurav Ghei will also be there.
Jeev and Jyoti will come back after that. Atwal goes to US -- he said he had entry into AT & T pebble Beach. Atwal will not play Malaysian Open in Feb, but others might. Then Jeev and Jyoti go to Japan. Jeev is trying to get into Dubai (March 3-6) as an invitee, and then he will play Qatar Masters (Mar 10-13), which for the first time in joint-sanctioned with Asia.
In April, Jyoti will play Dynasty Cup and two more events in China Johnnie Walker and BMW Asian Open, both joint sanctioned. Atwal might come if he has no entry into US events. Jeev will play these. Then full reason in Japan.

Anyone in Singapore from our Forum -- I am likely to be in Singapore for the event.
swamy
V Krishnaswamy

JYOTI EXCELS AS FIVE INDIANS MAKE THE CUT; ATWAL, JEEV OUT

Post by V Krishnaswamy »

I PUT THIS HERE ALSO, AS SOME MIGHT GO HERE INSTEAD OF OTHER THREAD.

JYOTI EXCELS AS FIVE INDIANS MAKE THE CUT; ATWAL, JEEV OUT

V KRISHNASWAMY

INDO-ASIAN NEWS SERVICE

SINGAPORE, January 28: (IANS)

JYOTI Randhawa kept the Indian flag flying, as he shot four-under 68, one of the handful of scores in 60s, to be at three-under 141 midway through the Caltex Singapore Masters at the Laguna Golf and Country Club. Despite the sun slightly more kind on the second day, the scores were nothing much to write home about, as only three other players had cards better than Randhawa.

At tied 14th, Randhawa (3-under 141) ensured his place in the money-making rounds over the weekend, but it was a tense time for four other Indians – Harmeet Kahlon, Amandeep Johl, Rahil Gangjee and Gaurav Ghei – who were all right on the cut number, which came at two-over 146, to be tied at 69. The top 70 and ties made it to the weekend rounds.

Winner of Volkswagen Masters – China last year, Gangjee, five-over at the start of the day, had a brilliant 69, which included three birdies on the front nine and two on the back journey. “On the 18th I knew I had a 30-footer for birdie and I knew I had to get it in to have a chance,” said Gangjee. He did it and immediately pumped his fist. “It felt great playing in such tension, though it would have been nice to make the cut more comfortably,” added Gangjee, for whom this is the first cut in any European Tour event.

Ghei, 10th at the 2002 Singapore Masters, was two-over for the front nine and four-over for the tournament and things looked tough for him. But playing in the very last group, Ghei charged back in the return nine. “I had two birdies and no bogeys and it included a birdies on the 11th and 16th. Then I had a tense 15-footer for par on the 17th. “

In fact at one stage, the scoreboard showed Ghei at four-over after 15, when it was actually three-over. “I had a four on par-4 on the 14th, but in my hurry to go to he restroom after 15th, I told the girl a wrong score. She passed that on to the scoreboard, but since I had he official score and it was tense, I let be and put y correct score in the card.”

Earlier, both Kahlon and Johl made things difficult for themselves. Kahlon dropped three strokes in two holes – 16th and 17th – while Johl sitting at one-over bogeyed the 17th and missed an eight-footer for birdie on the 18th. Then he chewed nails before making the cut.

The two Indians headed home early are Arjun Atwal, the 2002 winner, who playing alongside overnight leader Colin Montgomerie (eight-under 136), shot a three-over 75 to go with his first day’s 77 to crash out at eight-over, and Jeev Milkha Singh (nine-over 153).

Meanwhile the tournament lead changed hands as the 22-year-old Nick Dougherty, a protégé of Nick Faldo, took over from Scotsman Colin Montgomerie of Scotland. With Monty shooting only a one-under 71 – which included two bogeys than snapped his bogey-free streak of 82 holes – Dougherty added a five-under 67 to his first day’s 68 to come to nine-under and one shot ahead of Montgomerie. Thomas Bjorn with the day’s best card of 66 was lying tied third at six-under with three others, China’s Liang Wen-Chong, Malaysia’s Danny Chia and Welshman Jamie Donaldson.

Jyoti, who was third at the Caltex Singapore Masters last year, was a satisfied man. Sitting with his cousin and caddie, Bunty Randhawa, he said, "I am very happy with the way I am hitting the ball. What pleased me most was that I did not have a single bogey today and in fact had at least three more birdie chances but the ball lipped out just as I bent down to pick it. Considering I picked up the clubs yesterday for the first time after almost six weeks, I am very happy with my driving and iron-play, said Jyoti.

Harmeet was par for the day after 15 holes and one-under for the tournament. Then he missed a chip-putt on 16th for a double and then had a bogey on the 17th. He missed a 10-foot birdie putt on 18th and ended three-over for the day and two-over for the tournament. And then spent the entire afternoon in suspense, before he was relieved to come inside the cut line. “That bad chip-putt spoiled things for me,” said Kahlon.

Jeev Milkha Singh shot a six-over, which included one eagle, one double bogey and six bogeys but NO birdies. His eagle came on the par-5 11th. "The putts didn't fall and I was not hitting well either," said Jeev.

Leader Dougherty said he looked forward to playing with Monty on the third day. “(The idea is to) keep playing golf, keep enjoying it and if it turns out great then fantastic. If not, I will try and give myself a chance the following week.”

In contrast Monty was surly, as he had his first bogey this year on the second hole. Then he made up with birdies on the next two. Monty's last bogey in SIngapore came on ninth in first round in 2004 edition. On the 18th he missed a short putt for birdie, and then threw his visor down and seemed angry with himself. Even at the post-round media meeting, his mood was rather black. Only a day earlier he was charming and friendly, and now it was different.

The star of the day was Thomas Bjorn, who shot a six-under 66, the best card of the day and after a first round of 72, the Dubai-based Swede now six-under for the tournament and lying third. He had an exciting first nine – the back nine of the Course – over which he was six-under. He had one each of a birdie and a bogey on the next nine.

END
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

This week, there are three international tournaments to follow.

PGA Ford, where Daniel comes back after a missing a cut at the AT&T event and a week rest. He must be geared up to play some sizzlig golf in the strong field this week. Vijay also must be itching to come back at the top of the leaderboard after some indifferent performances in past few weeks. He also has to guard is #1 ranking, which is once again under threat from Tiger Woods.

EPGA Dubai where well rested Jyoti Randhawa after having an off week, comes back following a great performance in Carlsberg Open. Like Jaide, Jyoti is also chasing a dream to get into Masters event. He'll need a repeat performance of Carlsberg open to accrue Worl Ranking points. Arjun Atwal flies back after Chrysler event at Tucson. He has made two cuts in two tournaments in PGA and in general looks in good form. At Chrysler, he was always threatening to return a good performance, but he couldn't figure out how to play the 18th hole and missed an opportunity.

Arjun still has to open his account in the European moneylist as he missed the cut in the only EPGA event he has played so far.

Asian Tour Thai($500K) Beside Jyoti, all other Indian members of Asia tour must be present, along with last week star performer Ashok Kumar and Arjun Singh. Hopefully Jeev may also be here to recover from a poor performance at Myanmar where he missed the cut. Its a good opportunity for youngster like Ashok and Shiv Kapur to make a mark. They may not get many opportunity for a month or so affter this due to limited field in jointly sanctioned tournaments with EPGA.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Just saw that Shiv kapur finished third in a pro-am tournament
http://in.rediff.com/sports/2005/aug/18shiv.htm

Shiv Kapur tied third in Zurich

August 18, 2005 16:13 IST

India's Shiv Kapur tied for the third place at the rain-shortened Zurich Open Pro-am.

The two-day event played at the picturesque Schonenberg Golf Club on August 15 and 16 was hit by heavy rains and was reduced from 36 to 18 holes.
India1989

Post by India1989 »

India - Pakistan golf tour

http://www.hindu.com/2005/11/03/stories ... 952000.htm

Do you guys know that are there any international women golf players in India.