2009 ASIAN Tour: JOHNNIE WALKER CAMBODIAN OPEN

Coverage of Indian golfers in the Asian and the JPGA

Moderator: Moderators

suresh
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: 2009 ASIAN Tour

Post by suresh »

It took a long time to get the result of the playoff. Darren Beck has won the Brunei Open beating out Gaganjeet Bhullar and Boonchu Ruangkit as per the tweet from @asiantourgolf.
usaindian

Re: 2009 ASIAN Tour

Post by usaindian »

this should move him another 60 or so places in rankings
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Re: 2009 ASIAN Tour: Gaganjeet Runnerup - Brunei Open

Post by ajay »

Gaganjeet came close to winning his second title in a row in the regular play but missed the birdie putt on the 18th hole. In playoff, Beck came back from the clubhouse and stole the victory from Bhullar in the 3rd playoff hole.

Congratulations for yet another fabulous performance. Gaganjeet showed courage, and fought till the last moment of the tournament. He performed remarkably in very tense situation near the end, kept his cool even when he was behind. This is the trait that will take him to places. I only hope that some other young Indians also follow him as there are bunch of them who can do wonders.
Here is a report:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Darr ... 848691.cms
Beck, who had started his final round six shots off the lead and tied for 15th place, fired a sparkling six-under-par 65 to force a three-way play-off with Bhullar and Thai veteran Boonchu Ruangkit after the pair returned with 13-under-par 271 total in regulation play.

When Boonchu bogeyed his shot at the second play-off hole as Beck and Bhullar made pars each, it was down to the par-four ninth hole to decide the winner at the 300,000 dollar full field Asian Tour event.

The 32-year-old Australian sealed his career breakthrough on the Asian Tour when he birdied from 10 feet as Bhullar could only par his shot.

"I was sitting in the locker room and cooling off as I thought that there'll be no way I could put myself in a play-off," said Beck.

"It was very nerve-wreaking but it's definitely great to make it to six-under and to win in the play-off."

Bhullar, 21, won his maiden title in Jakarta last year and could have added another victory at the Empire Hotel and Country Club had he birdied his closing shot on the 18th from eight feet.

"I had a very good second shot on my 72nd hole but I clearly misread the line," said Bhullar.

At 53 years and 82 days, Boonchu would have written his way into the record books as the oldest winner of an Asian Tour title.

However, the Thai closed with a costly bogey on the 18th to make it into the three-way play-off.

"It was good to be competing for the title against these younger players again. It has been a long week but I really enjoyed myself," said Boonchu.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/SPORTS/Golf/Top-Stories/Bhullar-loses-Brunei-Open-by-a-whisker-ends-runner-up/articleshow/4848643.cms wrote:Among other Indians, C Muniyappa faltered in the final round, carding a one-over 72 to finish tied 13th with a total of nine-under 275.

Anirban Lahiri signed off tied 18th after a 67 in the final round left him seven-under overall. Chiragh Kumar was further down at tied 29th after returning an even-apr 71 to total five-under 279.

Gaurav Ghei (70) ended tied 49th with a total of one-under 283.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Congrats Gaganjeet for another excellent tournament on Asian tour ... Good to see that he is liking to be in mix for title on last day ... Go Gaganjeet.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Good to see young Gaganjeet Bhullar sustain his superb form for a second consecutive week, but sad he couldn't quite win the title in Brunei. He must be pretty close to the top of the Order of Merit in Asia at the moment. To be achieving all this at 21 is very exciting indeed.
vidhyashankar

Post by vidhyashankar »

Good performance once again from Gaganjeet.. he was so close to winning back to back titles.
Prem

Post by Prem »

Gaganjeet moves to 203 in rankings and coul dhave been 163-164 with a win and that would have beated Jyoti down to 3rd best among the Indian players....

Great couple of weeks for Gagan and hope Gagan (SKY) is the limit for him. ;)
Prem

Re: 2009 ASIAN Tour: Gaganjeet Runnerup - SELANGOR MASTERS

Post by Prem »

Today at the WORLDWIDE HOLDINGS SELANGOR MASTERS, good start for Anirban & Rahil.

Anirban Lahiri -4
Rahil Gangjee -3
Digvijay Singh -2

Unfortunately Gaganjeet is at +3 :damn: and needs atleast a level par round to make the cut.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Completing the list that Prem put up in the above post.

T6 Anirban Lahiri -4
T10 Rahil Gangjee -3
T15 Digvijay Singh -2
T34 C. MUNIYAPPA E
T34 Gaurav GHEI E
T54 Himmat RAI +1
------ Projected Cut +2 ---------
T80 Gaganjeet BHULLAR +3
T109 Chiragh KUMAR +5
T121 Manav JAINI +6

Danny CHIA is leading with a score of -7. Lahiri made an eagle, 6 birdies and 4 bogeys, while Rahil had 2 eagles, 2 birdies and 3 bogeys.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Nice to see Lahiri getting inspired by Bhullar's success. Lahiri is mentally ready to challenge Bhullar and it showed in the first round. Good to have some healthy rivalry. Go Lahiri and Bhullar!
Anirban Lahiri has seen Gaganjeet Bhullar's rise from close quarters and believes he too can emulate him, albeit at his own pace.

As he tees off at the Worldwide Holdings Selangor Masters golf tournament starting here on Wednesday, the 22-year-old Lahiri said Bhullar has just raised the bar with his maiden win in Indonesia and the second place finish in Brunei Open but he too was getting there.

"What Gaganjeet has achieved is great. I know I can get out there and win, especially looking at what Gaganjeet has done," said Lahiri.

"He's upped his level a good two or three notches, I know that I'm going to knock on that door. I've got to keep my own speed. He's going like a 737 right now which is great for him. But I know I'm getting there as well," he said.

Short game has been Lahiri's problem of late but the youngster was confident of regaining his putting touch in the $300,000 Asian Tour tournament at the challenging Seri Selangor Golf Club.

"My putter has been a bit cold. We're trying to get a few demons out of my head as far as my putter is concerned. If I can get that working, I have absolutely no doubt that I can contend," said Lahiri, who is presently ranked 38th on the Asian Tour's Order of Merit.
suresh

Post by suresh »

It was the team event in the 2006 Asiad. The Indian team was placed fourth and out of the medal tally after three rounds. They pulled off a stunning fourth round to overtake Chinese Taipei and Japan to get the silver behind a totally dominant Korea. The team consisted of the following four players:

Gaganjeet Bhullar
Joseph Chakola
Chirag Kumar
Anirban Lahiri

It was then clear that this was a special bunch. Chirag Kumar and Joseph Chakola are yet to make a mark in the Asian tour. Chirag is 146th in the order of merit while Chakola doesn't seem to have played on the tour barring a sole event held in India.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Not so good of a second round, except for Ghei. Only 2 Indinas got into red that also includes Chiragh who missed the cut by 1. Most of the Indians slipped on the leaderboard. However the good news is that 6 of the 9 Indians made the cut. Bhullar survived and gets a chance to make amends in the last two rounds.

T8 Gaurav GHEI 71 67 -4
T18 Digvijay Singh 69 71 -2
T18 Rahil Gangjee 68 72 -2
T30 Anirban Lahiri 67 74 -1
T62 C. MUNIYAPPA 71 74 +3
T62 Gaganjeet BHULLAR 74 71 +3
------ Projected Cut +2 ---------
T54 Himmat RAI 73 73 +4
T54 Chiragh KUMAR 76 70 +4
T105 Manav JAINI 77 73 +8
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Muniyappa had a superb 3rd round last week, and now he has done it once again. He is 7 under par in 15 holes. Almost from the bottom of the leeaderboard after the 2nd round cut, he has climbed to top 10 as for now. Ghei has played 16 holes and he 1 under for the day that has moved him to -5 and T6. The leader is at -9. Not a good day for others. Bhullar is having one of the worst day so far. He was lucky to make the cut, but with 6 over in 12 holes, he is having the 3rd worst round of the day. The 12 holes include an eagle and a birdie too! But he started his round with a triple bogey and hit 6 more bogeys. Lahiri (+1 today), Gangjee(+2 today), Digvijay(+4 today) have completed their round.

Update: Bhullar has now completed 15 oles and he got another eagle and a birdie. So he is +3 for the day now and T65. Ghei bogyed the 17th to go even par. That leaves only Muniyappa in the red figures for the round.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Re: 2009 ASIAN Tour: Queens Cup

Post by ajay »

Six Indians are in the field this week. No Bhullar this time. First round is going on and the current scores are:

T30 Anirban LAHIRI E 71
T30 Himmat RAI E 71
T52 C. MUNIYAPPA +1 72
T52 Rahil GANGJEE +1 7
T86 Gaurav GHEI +3 5
T86 Amandeep Singh JOHL +3 5

Update.
Ghei was leading the Indian pack before he hit +5 on one hole i.e. 9 strokes for par 4 16th strokes, and came crashing down the leaderboard. Ghei hadirds, a double bogey, 2 bogeys and a +5 in his card. The final first round scores were

T33 Anirban LAHIRI E 71
T33 Himmat RAI E 71
T49 C. MUNIYAPPA +1 72
T49 Rahil GANGJEE +1 7
T83 Gaurav GHEI +4 75
T92 Amandeep Singh JOHL +5 76
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

A good 2nd round by Himmat Rai brought him closer to top 10. Himmat reached T12 with a 5 under round to go to -5 (he was even par after first round). Himmat scored 6 birdies and a lone bogey in his round. The other young gun Lahiri also put up a good show of 3 under par round and he is T21 with a score of -3. Rahil Gangjee and Muniyappa also had a under par round and improved their postion on the leaderboard.
Ghei and Johl disappointed and missed the cut which was applied at+2

The scores after the 2nd round are

12 Himmat RAI (IND) 71 66 137 -5
21 Anirban LAHIRI (IND) 71 68 139 -3
43 Rahil GANGJEE (IND) 72 70 142 +0
43 C. MUNIYAPPA (IND) 72 70 142 +0
94 Gaurav GHEI (IND) 75 74 149 +7
115 Amandeep JOHL (IND) 76 77 153 +11