2006 AsianTour: VOLVO MASTERS Of ASIA: Jeev in Contention!

Coverage of Indian golfers in the Asian and the JPGA

Moderator: Moderators

Kumar
Authors
Authors

2006 AsianTour: Macau Open

Post by Kumar »

More than Shiv's disappointing finish, I feel bad for Jeev... Is there any light at the end of tunnel for him?
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

Not bad performance from Shiv. The Japan tour is significantly tougher than the Asian tour, so this would equate to a top 5 finish on the Asian tour. Therefore, while this is not as good as a win, a decent finish nevertheless.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

I agree with Arjun about Shiv's performance in Japan this week. JPGA is tougher than Asian Tour, as Arjun correctly pointed out, and I believe that Japanese golf courses are set up differently than the Asian golf courses. It takes time to get used to the new style of courses and Shiv did a magnificent job of adjusting to the Japanese golf course quickly.

I hope that Arjun Atwal, Daniel Chopra and Vijay Singh take Shiv under their wings when he goes to play in Hawaii, and perhaps use their influence to get him some exemptions into some PGA tournament. I will be happy to do my bit by contacting the tournament directors (for whatever it is worth) if Shiv wants the help of Sports-India. Daniel Chopra was not averse to us getting involved two years back.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

BSharma wrote: I hope that Arjun Atwal, Daniel Chopra and Vijay Singh take Shiv under their wings when he goes to play in Hawaii, and perhaps use their influence to get him some exemptions into some PGA tournament. I will be happy to do my bit by contacting the tournament directors (for whatever it is worth) if Shiv wants the help of Sports-India. Daniel Chopra was not averse to us getting involved two years back.
Ajay can probably try to get in touch with Shiv through Daniel... If we are going to try for exemptions, we need to know his schedule and his choices...
*sridinats*

Post by *sridinats* »

How were you guys able to help out Daniel??

Sridhar
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Make phone calls to the tournament director and play out the importance of granting an exemption for this "Indian interest/angle" of Daniel Chopra in the PGA tour.

The Doc and Ajay may be able to explain a bit more....

cheers,
-kujo
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

How were you guys able to help out Daniel??
As kujo pointed out, some of us contacted the Tournament Directors of the PGA events and highlighted the achievements of Daniel Chopra and Arjun Atwal, and the importance to the tournaments of having two "Indians" participate (more local Indians buying tickets and more Indians watching golf on TV). I do not know how much it helped these two golfers. Both of them had qualified into the PGA Tour in 2004 via the PGA qualifying tournament, and although it got them entry into many tournaments but in not all of them.

I was surprised at how friendly and accomodating some of the tournament directors were. One of them sent me e-mails about three or four times a day until Daniel got into the field, IIRC.
*sridinats*

Post by *sridinats* »

but then Arjun and Daniel both were tour members rite...Is it possible for someone like Shiv who is plying his trades on the Asian Tour to be given a chance in the field!
Sridhar
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Sridhar,

Getting to play a PGA tournament is kind of somewhat complicated. The entry list has a ranking system, and the golfers who make it in via the NW Tour (top 20) and qualifying tournament are usually at the bottom. Below them are the golfers who were ranked #126 to 150 on the PGA Tour money list in the previous year (e.g., Arjun Atwal). Some tournaments have a limited field (less than 140 golfers) and others are invitational, and some require special qualifying standards (e.g., majors). All of this leaves very few spots for golfers like Shiv Kapur. There are a few spots left open for Monday qualifiers (golfers play on Monday and a few top ones get into the field), sponsor exemptions and tournament director exemptions. Most tournaments have sponsors and they get to pick a few golfers who otherwise would not have made the field. It is impossible for anyone like us to get one of the sponsor exemptions for Shiv (unless you are good friends of CEOs of Honda, Buick, Chrysler, EDS, Sony, etc.). Occasionally the tournament organizers will invite a few golfers to play. I do not know if Shiv is playing in Hawaii on a sponsor exemption or tournament organizer exemption. There are limited number of exemptions that a player can earn in a year. Often these go to sons of famous PGA golfers, very talented amateur players who have just turned pro, or some international golfers.
*sridinats*

Post by *sridinats* »

According to what i understand it means that if someone from Sports-india were to try and make an effort to see that a player gets to play then that would be thru the spot available from the tournament directors exemptions...

How many such events did Arjun and Daniel manage to get into thru the tourney directors exemptions?

Sridhar
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

How many such events did Arjun and Daniel manage to get into thru the tourney directors exemptions?
I do not know.

Some of us contacted the tournament directors, but whether it helped or not is not known. I do not want to give an impression that some of us at Sports-India have the clout to get a golfer into a PGA tournament. All we can do is to try to help an Indian golfer. The more time we have and the better our coordination is, then we have a better chance of getting possibly some results.
*sridinats*

Post by *sridinats* »

I think what would definitely help is the fact that if Shiv can create an impression during the sony open,that is if he can finish in the top 15 or so then that would go a long way in helping him and will also get more ppl to notice him, thus increasing his chance for getting invites to other tournaments!

But I am sure his first priority would be to try and make the cut so that he can play on all the four days...That in itself would be a great learning experience for him and would hold him in good stead for the future!

Sridhar
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

*sridinats* wrote:I think what would definitely help is the fact that if Shiv can create an impression during the sony open,that is if he can finish in the top 15 or so then that would go a long way in helping him and will also get more ppl to notice him, thus increasing his chance for getting invites to other tournaments!

But I am sure his first priority would be to try and make the cut so that he can play on all the four days...That in itself would be a great learning experience for him and would hold him in good stead for the future!

Sridhar
One can always and hope. And so here it goes: Shiv wins the Sony open, gets battlefield promotion into PGA tour (for 2006 & 2007), and makes headline news all around.

Seriously, I am not being sarcastic are anything. That guy has potential and loads of it too!!! :goodluck: Shiv.

cheers,
-kujo
*sridinats*

Post by *sridinats* »

Apparently this time around the Asian Tour has got a record number of confirmed entries for the qualifying tournament which wil be held in 2 phases....Both Andrew Buckle and Shiv got their 2005 tour cards by doing well in the qualifying event....

Lets hope 2006 throws up another performer from India like Shiv :goodluck:

Q-School

Sridhar
V Krishnaswamy

Great 2005, 2006 looks even better

Post by V Krishnaswamy »

Hi all,
A very happy New Year.
I am out of hibernation for a while. Hope you will excuse me for appearing and disappearing every now and then. My job is writing, so I often get tired.
A little info:
1. 2005 was a wonderful year for Indian golf and me. We had 25 top-10s and one title, and I think four second places on Asian tour. I got to see seven events -- Singapore Masters, Malaysian Open, Dubai, Singapore Open, Indian Open, Shanghai HSBC, Hong Kong Open and Volvo masters, which Shiv won.
2. Shiv has got into Sony Open, as winner of Volvo Masters -- organisers called Louis Martin, CEO of Asian Tour, to inform him winner of Volvo and Order of Merit get into Sony Open.
3. I am on the verge of finishing my first book on golf -- albeit a compilation -- A Guide to Golf courses of India.
4. I have on offer another book on Indian golf, which I shall tell later. Yes, golf is looking great.
5. Major happenings on Asian Tour -- some I can't reveal because of my position as Indian consultant of sorts for them. But things look brilliant. Many more new events plus title sponsor all adding up to great money.
6. Points on world rankings for Asian Tour events increase by double from Jan 1, 2006. (This was decided long back, so most of you would already know)
7. I will be travelling a lot again this year - but excuse me if I do not put up reports or scores because I am exhausted by then. Still I will try.. promise!
8. I am likely for Abu Dhabi Open or Pakistan Open (same week), Qatar masters, Dubai Classic. Then Malaysian Open and as yet unannounced event in Singapore (other than Singapore Open). That's till April. Then maybe I will be coming for Masters.
9. Hopefully I will get to meet Forum members, as I met PK in singapore.

Cheers and bye for now.
Swamy