2015 PGA Tour

Coverage of Indian players in USPGA , EPGA, Nationwide tour and Womens tour events

Moderator: Moderators

ajay
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: 2015 PGA Tour

Post by ajay »

My understanding is that at the end of 4th tournament he should finish in top 25 excluding the players who have already secured their card. The series of 4 events is like an extended qualifier tournament. One good result (top 5) can likely give him the card. Check the column "proj" to see his position in the top 25. He is yet to start his 2nd round, and currently he is T25 overall in this tournament, and T20 for the 4-tournament Final 25 list. I'm very optimistic that he'll secure his PGA card in the first 3 tournaments for which he is signed up.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Anirban's putter is sizzling today! 8 under par for the day with one hole to go, -11 for the tournament, and currently a joint leader. :bounce:
Fantastic performance. Hopefully he'll continue to play two more good rounds. Way to go Anirban! And :goodluck: for the rest of the tournament.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

You jinxed him and he bogeyed the last hole. :frown:
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Did I jinx?! Really! Nah! “It was kind of poetic justice to finish with a three-putt, I guess.” :)
OK, those words in quotes are not mine but Anirban's. He finished the round two at sole 2nd spot, one stroke behind the leader. He is in a great shape as of now. But that's about it. I can say with 80% confidence right now that the current leader Jamie Lovemark won't win the tournament. Because the real test comes in the weekend. There is still lot of golf remaining and Anirban still need to perform. It is only like winning the first set - a good start. Hopefully, he'll keep the momentum going and keep himself in the running. At this stage, I'll take a top 5 finish and I'll be disappointed if he finishes outside top 10.

Anyway here is a report on Anirban's day today. And here is a video link for his interview after the game. Enjoy!!
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

A double bogey on the last hole spoiled his otherwise a good round. At the end of the third day, Lahiri is 3 strokes behind the new leader DH Lee and still holds sole 2nd spot on the leaderboard. So Lahiri continues to be in great shape going into the final round. :goodluck: for the last round.
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

Lahiri finishes everyday with a bogey. definitely not a good sign. Something must be bothering him.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

The 18th hole being the toughest is bothering him :rofl:
ajay wrote:Anirban's putter is sizzling today!
This was the jinx mate.

I saw quite a bit of the play today; Anirban is nowhere near his PGA championship level and has been very poor off the tee. Scrambling and decent putting is what is keeping him in contention which of course is a great sign.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Sin Hombre wrote:I saw quite a bit of the play today; Anirban is nowhere near his PGA championship level and has been very poor off the tee. Scrambling and decent putting is what is keeping him in contention which of course is a great sign.
He himself is not happy with it ... Here r his comments after the third round.
“I don’t know how you would grade C and C-minus,” said Lahiri, the 40th ranked player in the world, when asked if he drove the ball better on Saturday. “I don’t know. It wasn’t good. I say that because my game usually is a ball-striking game; it’s not a scrambling game. … I just want the real Anirban to show up tomorrow."

“I think it’s more about confidence on the course. When you’re not confident off the tee, you’re not picking lines; you’re seeing areas where you don’t want to hit it. … The more comfortable I get on the range, the more comfortable I can get on the tee, and I can put myself in better spots.”
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Another poor tee shot on 10th and he continues to struggle. He'll have to work hard to save the par here. Fortunately his putter has been saving him and keeping him in top 10 so far, but he can drop out of top 10 if he fails to save this shot.

Update: He could not save the par and he is now T10 with a score of -10. However, much better T-shot on par 3 11th setting up a birdie shot of arounf 10ft, let's see if he can convert it to a birdie.
Just missed the birdie. He remains T10. I hope he gets back to top 5 in the remaining holes. C'mon Anirban.

Another good tee-shot on par 5 12th. Go Anirban! No birdie on 12th but he did get a birdie on 13th to move to T7. He is on the green on par 3 14th and let's see if he can make a birdie. here. Missed the birdie on 14th, but got a birdie on par 5 15th and he is sole 7th. Need couple of more birdies in 3 holes to make it to top 5.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

Unfortunately the T5 finish is out of reach now :(. Need -3 in the last 4.

Looks like he needs another finish to earn about $10k
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

He did get a birdie on 15th. And he needs couple of birdies in 3 holes. However his second shot just went over the green and settled in rough. 3rd shot passed the hole and it will be a tough shot to hold for par. And he makes the par.

So he is T7 with two holes to go. Actually he needs only a birdie for T5 at this time. Let's see how it goes.

OK, he is on the fairway on 17th after tee shot. One of the T5 player moved up and now a birdie will move him to T6 only.
The shot from fairway has not gone right. He'll be fighting to hold T7 spot now. He held on and made the par. Now comes the last hole. Lahiri has been having trouble playing the last hole. Let's see how he fairs.

Lahiri is talking in hindi with his caddie as he decide which club to hit.
Wow! He missed the eagle shot from the fairway just by inches! Great shot! He now has two feet for the birdie. That will put him on T6
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

The whole day was a struggle. He was never under par for the round today, until he got the birdie on 18th. So he finished the day 1 under. After the 2nd day, I was hoping if he can finish at least in top 5. Of course he was capable of winning it, and that would have been a great. T6 is kind of par performance for him, but that leaves a lot to be done in the next two tournaments to secure the card.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Given he was clearly the best player in the field (and by a mile in the world rankings), it was a slightly sub-par result and very sub-par performance. Not sure why his game was so bad off the tee this week.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Even if there was another highly ranked player - say 20th ranked player in the field, what one can expect at the beginning of the tournament is that he would likely be in contention. Even if Anirban was striking well, he may still have fallen short as he was in the end 6 strokes behind the winner. Surely last round was disappointing ( sub par performance by at least 2 or 3 strokes, which could have put him T2 or sole 4th). The winner Norlader put a heck of a round of -10 today to take his total to -19, 3 strokes clear of anyone else in the field. He deserved his win today.

As I said earlier, T6 left Anirban too much to be done in the next two tournaments. I guess he can probably clinch the PGA card by finishing in top 3 in the next tournament. Hopefully he'll just win it next time and not depend on the 3rd week.
Prem

Post by Prem »

ajay wrote:As I said earlier, T6 left Anirban too much to be done in the next two tournaments. I guess he can probably clinch the PGA card by finishing in top 3 in the next tournament. Hopefully he'll just win it next time and not depend on the 3rd week.
Ajay - in my view, it was an excellent tournament for Anirban. Playing first time in this course, with so much pressure of being the highest ranked player, media focus etc., he did pretty well (except may be a slightly steadier start today).
To finish T6 has almost sealed his PGA card. If he had finished with a round of -2 instead of -1, card would have been secured. Last year 36k was enough to get the card (25th place) and hence Anirban only needs 2-3k more in next 2 weeks....to guarantee his card. So making the cut in one more event would seal it. However, I expect him to improve next week and play more steadier golf as the pressure of winning or finishing top 5 is off his back now.....let's hope for another solid result this week too. :goodluck: Anirban