2008 - PGA Majors/ WGC/ World Cup

Coverage of Indian players in USPGA , EPGA, Nationwide tour and Womens tour events

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: 2008 - PGA Majors/ WGC/ World Cup

Post by PKBasu »

Jeev finished +1 after Round 2 (ie, he had a 3-over second round), and lies T8, two shots off the lead. He is still very much in contention for this major at the halfway mark. Go Jeev! Let's make sure that the second round is the only bad one...

Update
Actually, he is T7, and three shots off the lead, now being set by JB Holmes (on 1-under). Garcia is also on T7, and Justin Rose is among the group that is T2.
Daniel, Vijay and Jyoti failed to make the cut. That has to be especially disappointing for Vijay, after he raised hopes by winning the WGC event last week. It is quite remarkable that Jeev has always made the cut in the majors he has played...
Last edited by PKBasu on Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
usaindian

Post by usaindian »

jeev is paired  Aaron BADDELEY, AUSTRALIA  for 2PM tee time for round 3
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

No doubt the course is playing tough, but if we see only 2nd round scores, Jeev with a +4 round probably finished in high 50s. I don't know how much did his ankle bothered him today. This round was probably 2 strokes too many.

Thanks to the excellent 1st round, Jeev is still in very good position. Overall it has been an great performance by Jeev so far. Even in absence of Tiger Woods, we can still say that Jeev's performance is equivalent to sharing honors with Nadals and Fedrers of Tennis. I would compare Jeevs position as one set all and a 3rd set tie breaker in a 5 set match against the likes of Nadals and Fedrers. But Nadals and Fedrers excel in crunch time and in closing the deal. And that is what we have to see how will Jeev do in the remaining two days. He has done it in past and he can do it once again. It is for sure that Jeev has in him to win a major.

I'm sure Jeev would need to play much better than his 2nd round in the remaining two rounds. I would guess +1 may be a winning score at the end of the final day. So Jeev must play at least one more under par round.

I have been trying to keep my expectation down so as not to get frustated if things don't go well. But it is too hard to keep the excitement down, especially when Jeev is well in contention after 2nd day. Deep inside me I know I so badly want Jeev to win. Good luck Jeev. Wish you all the best and hopefully you'll make everyone of us proud once again. Go Jeev!!!!!

I hope his ankle will hold up to the pressure of next two days.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Jeev's quotes about 2nd round:

Singh, who is nursing a strained tendon in his right ankle, hopes to play it safe out on course as he posted three birdies against seven bogeys.

“It was tough out there. I think the key was to stay patient, and I did. I let it go on the back nine; that was my front nine. I kept going, kept grinding it out. Not too bad. I'm three shots off the lead right now and we've got two more days. We'll see what happens.

“The foot is not too good I think after my drive on my 10th hole, I tried to hit a big one and it kind of came back.  I'll ice it and take it from there,” said Singh.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Jeev had tough day but still he maintained his position inside top 10 ... He is only 3 strokes behind so we can say he is in striking distance.

But sad to see Daniel, Jyoti and Vijay missed the cut ... Now we need to follow only 'other' singh in this PGA Championship.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

fRom ESPN blog, i found out what happened to VJ at the par 3 9th hole...
:damn:
      Did anyone else just see Vijay Singh take 5 to get it in the hole putting from the center of the green? That's one of the more embarrassing finishes to a round that I have ever witnessed. Not only did he putt it off the green on his birdie attempt, he somehow three-jacked it from 6 feet. Anything bogey or better would have given him a realistic chance at making the cut. Embarrassing. Yet somehow I took great pleasure in it.

That, my friends, is what you call "the yips." It ain't pretty.

And don't take pleasure in it, either -- never know when the yips will nip you, too.

Remember, this is a guy who won last week despite missing an astounding 10 putts inside of 8 feet. And as a few e-mailers pointed out, the TV coverage just showed him missing six of seven practice putts from inside of 5 feet yesterday.

With a second straight 76, Vijay could be on a flight home in an hour -- if he's not on the practice green.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

Golf is one sport where even the great players can be humbled by the yips.  It is enough to keep the amateurs deluding themselves into thinking that pro golfers are as "human" as they are!!  Can't think of another sport where an amateur can identify that much with a pro.  Go JMS!!!
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Jeev made par on first hole.. but rain Gods decided to intervene and play is currently suspended. Play will most likely resume tomorrow with a likely monday finish.

Course was playing much easier today. Romero made 5 under 65 round and is at +2.. so not sure how the golf course will play after the rain delay.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

It is going to be tough for Jeev, with his hurting ankle, to play 35 holes on Sunday. But the course is playing "softer" now, and the scores should be better for all the players (including Jeev) who still have to complete their third round. The commentators think it will be much easier to play on now, and better scores will result. Good luck to Jeev!
usaindian

Post by usaindian »

jeev started third round and is even par after 5 holes
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

very ordinary start for Jeev as he couldn't birdie the easy par 5 2nd or par 4 6th... He is even thru 6 holes... The course is playing easy and Holmes is at lead at -3. Updated : Jeev makes birdie at 7th and is now +1

joy is shortlived as he gives back the stroke to fall to +2. Harrington is on fire and is currently 'E' after 16 holes.. had four straight birdies. Leader is still at -3. Jeev needs to make birdie on the easy par 3 nine hole

He heard me... Makes a birdie on par 3 9th hole to reclaim that lost stroke .. Still at +1

Makes a bogey on par 4 10th to fall back to +2. Come on jeev, we need stretch of birdies..

Makes a par on par 4 11th hole... Needs to birdie the par 5 12th hole. Course seems to be playing a little more tougher today, then yesterday .. I am guessing the ball is not rolling much on the fairways.

Long time no update... Either Baddeley or Jeev may have run into trouble.. Letz hope.. it is not the case. Makes a birdie on 12th and pars 13th. He is at +1

Bogey on par 4 14th.. come on jeev... +2 thru 14 holes

Makes three straight pars; coming to tough 18th hole.. Needs to at least par this hole.. Leaders are at -3 and Jeev needs an extra-ordinary performance to win this championship
Last edited by Kumar on Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

So he is back at T8 after his 7th hole today. But he needs to make birdies to get back in contention...
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Jeev finished at +2 (even par for the round). pretty ordinary round.. Greens are very soft and long hitters will have an huge advantage when the final round play resumes...

He will probably be playing the final round with Romero and villegas two of the flashiest player on the tour. Romero is a streaky player who will have 4-5 birdies
usaindian

Post by usaindian »

i will be happy if jeev finishes in top5 or top 10
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

After a decent front nine (-1), Jeev unravelled on back nine with four bogeys including one on finishing hole and is currently T9... Assured of a top 10 finishing..

Great performance on bad ankle ..  :notworthy: