2008 - PGA Majors/ WGC/ World Cup

Coverage of Indian players in USPGA , EPGA, Nationwide tour and Womens tour events

Moderator: Moderators

usaindian
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: 2008 - PGA Majors/ WGC/ World Cup

Post by usaindian »

so he will be invited for next year tourney as a top 10 finish
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

The back 9 took a toll from Jeev and instead of finishing T4 (with +1 score), Jeev finishes T9.  The expectations ride on wings and soars higher and higher.  If at the beginning of the tournament somebody had told me that he'll finish T9 I would have taken it. Anyway this is a great and historic performance and a first top 10 by an Indian in a major. its a one more feather in Jeev's cap. And don't forget he played the whole tournament in pain. Keep it up Jeev!! CONGRATUATIONS!!!  :notworthy:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

At the end highly deserving Harrington took the 2nd major title of the year. He finished like a champion with great putts on 16th, 17th and 18th and came out a clear winner.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Marvellous performance from Chiranjeev Milkha Singh!!! Congratulations! To have done it with a badly hurting ankle -- especially over 35 holes on Sunday -- is simply remarkable, and deserves the highest kudos  :notworthy: :notworthy:

The very first Indian citizen to play a major (the Masters) now becomes the first Indian to finish in the top-10 in a golfing major. I suppose it is the equivalent of making the QF in a tennis Slam. But in tennis, we have had a long tradition (starting as early as the 1940s), so Vijay and Ramesh (in the Open era) were following a well-trodden path (set by Ghouse Mohammed, Dilip Bose and Ramanathan Krishnan). In golf, Indians were not even able to play the majors until Jeev came along -- and now he blazes yet another new trail by finishing in the top-10 of a major. If he has a bit of luck, I think Jeev could well win a major within the next 12 months -- preferably the British Open. He has already won the next most important tournament after the four majors (the EPGA championship in Valderrama). Take care of the ankle, Jeev, and then go get us that major before Tiger returns!
suresh

Post by suresh »

What a great show from Jeev, gimpy ankle and all.  :notworthy:
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

PKBasu wrote:
The very first Indian citizen to play a major (the Masters) now becomes the first Indian to finish in the top-10 in a golfing major.
PKB, I totally agree with your sentiments, but for the fact that you are forgetting is that Ghei was the first Indian to play the major when he qualified for the British Open a long time back. But Jeev have many more first. Without thinkink too much I can say that he is the first Indian to play Masters, US open and all four majors. First Indian to win outside Asia (on European soil). Go Jeev!!
Last edited by ajay on Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Congratulations to Jeev Milkha Singh on his superb performance at the PGA Championship despite a bum ankle.  :notworthy:
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

usaindian wrote: so he will be invited for next year tourney as a top 10 finish
Hopefully, with a top 50 ranking by the end of the year he'll ensure invitation from all four majors. :D
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

ajay wrote:
PKBasu wrote:
The very first Indian citizen to play a major (the Masters) now becomes the first Indian to finish in the top-10 in a golfing major.
PKB, I totally agree with your sentiments, but for the fact that you are forgetting is that Ghei was the first Indian to play the major when he qualified for the British Open a long time back. ...Go Jeev!!
Yep, I had forgotten that Gaurav Ghei made the British Open field at Royal Troon all the way back in 1997. And he also shocked Colin Montgomerie in the Alfred Dunhill Cup, enabling India to beat Scotland. Ghei was, at one time, the Abhinav Bindra of Indian golf (a child prodigy with enormous prospects), and most people would have expected him to be the first Indian to play in the PGA. But his performances have trailed off over the years (although he is still quite young: he turns 40 in about 7 weeks time).

But it would be true to say, wouldn't it, that Jeev was the first Indian citizen to make the cut at a golf major...? Which he first did at last year's Masters.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

At the 90th PGA Championship, Bloomfield Township, Michigan - Final Standing

T9 Jeev Milkha Singh 68 74 70 73 + 5 $176,725.00

So with that Jeev became first Indian golfer to finished inside top-10 in Majors ... On first day he became first Indian to lead Major after first round ... Terrific performance by Jeev on this tough US condition and moreover he played this event with ankle injury ...  :notworthy:

Congrats Jeev!!!
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Jeev Milkha Singh could earn a PGA Tour card for 2009 if he can perform really well in the next PGA tournament.  He may still have a chance if he gets some sponsor's slots at the tournaments in the "fall series" and does well.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

I was looking for any quotes by Jeev after the PGA Championship. I did see few news coverage about him but I found a quote in only this article. Índian golfer Jeev creates history with top-10 finish at Major
“This is my best finish, but I should have finished higher. I dropped some bogeys on the back nine and dropped me back,” said Jeev. “My ankle is still hurting but I am playing well. After one more week I plan to take two to four weeks off to give my ankle a rest.”
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

PKBasu wrote:
But it would be true to say, wouldn't it, that Jeev was the first Indian citizen to make the cut at a golf major...? Which he first did at last year's Masters.
Sorry PKB to slightly correct you here. Yes, Jeev was the first one to make the cut in a golf major, but that was in 2002 at US Open. After that Jyoti made cut in 2004 at the Open and Jeev made another cut in 2006 at US Open and then last year Masters as well as US Open for the 3rd time.  Jeev missed his first cut in a major on his 5th occasion at Open and later in PGA Championship last year.  I've just updated the Indians performance in the golf history thread. Check out.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

:oops: Thanks, Ajay  :D
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Jeev and Jyothi will represent India in 2008 Omega Mission Hills worldcup to be held in china from Nov 27 thru Nov 30th...
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

At Omega Mission Hills World Cup, China - First Round (Fourballs)

1 Ireland 58 -14
2 Argentina 61 -11
3 Japan 62 -10

T15 India 67 -5

Rory McIlroy and Graeme McDowell combined to score brilliant 14 under par 58 in the opening round in fourballs ... With that Ireland opened up a good three shot lead over Argentina ... India is T15 with 5 under with USA and Thailand.

Jeev and Jyoti scored bogey in 2nd hole and scored 6 birdies at 3rd, 7th, 10th, 14th, 15th and 18th holes.