Viraat Badhwar and Tanya Wadhwa

All posts regarding specific golfers and golfer threads are in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Viraat Badhwar and Tanya Wadhwa

Post by Dhruv »

Well I didn't know of these kids who played golf in India but they finished in the top 3 in the World Junior Championships in their age groups. http://www.juniorworldgolf.com/default.asp

I found something on Viraat from Globosport but nothing on Tanya yet....

Code: Select all

Despite golf's burgeoning popularity in India, and the media claims that Indian golfers can hold their own against the best in the world, the India still seems a long way off from producing a world-class golfer. While there is no denying the immense accomplishments of the first generation of Indian golfers, one must separate hype from substance, and differentiate between trailblazers and world-beaters. And as long as the handful of Indian golfers that do make it to the majors keep failing to make the cut, Indian golfers will continue to be some way off the global elite.

While there is no such thing as a new "Tiger Woods" there is a young prodigy who can be India's answer to people like Ernie Els and Vijay Singh, people who are entrenched in the Top 10 and who are always among the favourites for any Masters event. Prodigy who is the first Indian to make a mark in the international golf arena. A seven year old who is the second best golfer in the world under the age of 8.

His name is Viraat Badhwar. 

The youngest Indian sportsperson to be managed by a professional sports management agency, Viraat recently achieved the Number 2 position in the 'World Junior Golf Championships' held in the USA. Already the winner of many junior tournaments, Viraat is also a Limca book record holder for being the 'youngest golfer in India to do a hole in one'. 

Next year Viraat returns to the Under-8 World Junior Golf Championships as a strong favourite to win the title, to become the best golfer in the world in his age group. With the right financial support and coaching, Viraat Badhwar is poised to become the first Indian golfer to become an international star.
So the future of Indian golf might be looking up as well, hopefull. Tiger Woods or Eldrich Woods as he was known won this tournament in the under 14 and under 17 categories in the early 1990's 1991 or so I think.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Indian Amateur and Young Golfers

Post by Kumar »

Dhurv, I had seen a couple of articles in Hindu and Rediff (i think) about how Indian junior golfers are doing well. I had want to post that article here, but got side tracked

I am positive that Indians are going to do well in Golf and Golf is probably one game, where Indians have a great chance, as u can win without the power and strength required in other sports
BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by BSharma »

I had also read about Tanya in the newspapers.

I believe she is taking lessons from the famous golf guru Ledbetter in Florida and has defeated Tiger Woods' niece in the past.

I have a feeling that in the next ten years or so we will start seeing some Indians playing in the PGA and LPGA regularly.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Some old articles nearly a year back, when Tanya won, World Junior Grand slams

http://www.rediff.com/sports/2002/aug/07tanya.htm
http://www.hindustantimes.com/2002/Aug/ ... 310001.htm
shashi

Post by shashi »

Any idea what is Shivin Kwatra upto these days? Shivin was a very promising junior not long ago and performed very well in world level junior tourneys and regularly got placings as high as the ones managed by Virat and Tanya?
Did he give up golf to concentrate on studies or what?
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

According to a rediff report dated Dec. 12th 2003 an Indian team comprising of Simarjeet Singh, Manav Das, Amit Luthra and Vikrant Chopra won the World Amateur Inter-Team Golf Championship 2003, held at the par-72, 6,900-yard, Arnold Palmer designed Damai Golf & Country Club in Sarawak. Malaysia finished second and South Africa was third.
david

Post by david »

Any news of Viraat Badhwar or Tanya?
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

Hmm I'll try and find out about Viraat.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Here is some news about Indian girl golfers.

Vaishnavi Sinha is the youngest golfer in the top ten in the senior ranking and is only 13 years old. Bhavana Shetty,a fifteen year old, is another future hope.

New breed of female golfers
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Winning a Rhodes Scholarship is not easy but an Indian golfer is one of the six people in India to do it.

Sonavi Chopra is an amateur golfer who has won quite a few times in India and her role models are Arjun Atwal and Jyoti Randhawa. Her favorite Rhodes Scholar is former President Bill Clinton.

Congratulations to Sonavi Chopra!

P.S.

Daniel Chopra is not amongst her favorite golfers? :wink:

Sonavi Chopra on the 'rhodes' to success

http://www.rhodesscholar.org/
Prem

Post by Prem »

Here is an interesting interview with SHIV KAPUR...our next man to make it big in couple of years...

http://www.asiantour.com/story.htm?stor ... 21a3320011
Indian

Post by Indian »

Yes, Shiv is the next Atwal I hope. Even though Atwal still has a lot to achieve, but he is still a role model for most upcoming Indian players.
Most famous playing partner?
Daniel Chopra
Favourite playing partner?
Arjun Atwal, Daniel Chopra. Don't really have one particular favourite as I learn from different players.
Daniel is more famous than Arjun? :)
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Chances r high becoz Daniel is more outspoken than Arjun .... And he always supportive to Indian players whenever he is playing with them ... Last year in tournament in Australia he was very helping towards Ashok Kumar and gave some tips to him about his game.

Jaydeep.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Daniel grew up in Delhi and goes there every year, and Shiv is from Delhi also. I imagine that both get together in Delhi when they are in town.

Jaydeep brings up a good point about Daniel since he did help Ashok Kumar last winter when he went to Australia to play in a couple of tournaments.

When was the last time you saw a Swede put the Indian tricolor in the webpage? :D

Welcome to Daniel Chopra's Official Website
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Daniel also has been playing on the EPGA and Nationwide tours for much longer, and is probably slightly better known than the other Indian players internationally. Of course, with his title wins on the EPGA tour in 2002 and 2003, and his good run on the PGA tour this year, Arjun is probably just as (if not more) well known as Daniel now, especially in Asia.