Vijay Singh thread

All posts regarding specific golfers and golfer threads are in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Vijay Singh

Post by BSharma »

Tiger Woods' play on the last day of the PGA Tour Championship makes him vulnerable for winning the POY award. With 5 bogeys after starting with two birdies is not the kind of play people expect from Tiger. Since other golfers are making birdies it appears that Tiger has lost his focus on the last day (3 over par 74). Can Vijay win the POY award also with a strong showing on the last day of the championship? Golfers may crown someone other than Tiger this year and it will be interesting to see how the votes pan out.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Vijay Singh

Post by ajay »

Another top 5 finish for Vijay. Again a good tournament for Vijay. The consistent performance has been the hallmark of Vijay's game and he demonstrated that again. But I'm still pessimistic about the POY for Vijay.
Last edited by ajay on Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Vijay Singh

Post by BSharma »

Vijay Singh finished tied for 5th place with the second best round of golf on the last day (-3) and -8 for the tournament. Tiger Woods was +3 (74) today and finished 26th out of 31 golfers.

Vijay will win the money title. :D

Another title at stake is the Vardon Trophy for the lowest average round of golf (minimum 60 rounds). I calculated the scores of Tiger and Vijay, and Tiger wins by a whisker. Tiger has an average round of 68.37 strokes and Vijay is at 68.63. Tiger has played 68 rounds and Vijay has played 102 rounds this year.

So who will win the POY title? My vote is for Vijay (although my vote does not count :( ). Vijay tied with Davis Love III and did better than Tiger Woods, Jim Furyk and Mike Weir in this last tournament.

The award will be announced in early December 2003.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Vijay Singh

Post by Kumar »

Congratulation Vijay. He has achieved his Goal . I hope they have fan voting(internet), than I am sure Vijay will win with a big margin.
PKBasu

Vijay Singh

Post by PKBasu »

World #2 and the money title. Wow! Congratulations to Vijay Singh...I wonder if he knows about his small group of fans here!
Vijay has toppled Ernie Els from the #2 spot, and hopefully he will topple the master himself, Tiger, from his perch atop the mountain next year!
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Vijay Singh

Post by Kumar »

From various articles I see, one thing that got me upset, "I will be surprised if he doesn't win the POY" .. Come on give me a break. He has not done better than Vijay singh in any of the Grand slams.

He has already won the Statistical PGA POY.

This is going to be very close this year !!! But this article in SF Chronicle gives me hope for Vijay
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 2U3B71.DTL

Another article in SI,
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/g ... index.html
kathiresan_v

Vijay Singh

Post by kathiresan_v »

Vijay and Tigerwoods are both playing at this week's President's cup in South Africa. Newspaper reports says that their performances in this tournament will not affect next month's decision by their peers over POY.

South Africa's Ernie Els, world no.3 and who has won seven victories worldwide in 2003, says Vijay would be his pick for player of the year

Kathir
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Vijay Singh

Post by BSharma »

Kathir, the Player of the Year award is given to a player who had the best performance in the US PGA and ideally should not take into consideration success at golf tournaments not part of the US PGA. PGA golfers vote for the POY award and everyone has his own way of choosing the golfer who should win this award. Ernie Els has said several times that he would vote for Vijay Singh this year. Will other golfers follow Ernie? Time will tell. The ballot has been sent to the golfers and we should know the results in less than a month.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Vijay Singh

Post by Kumar »

Bhushan you have become a moderator just now or have i been blind for a long time? Anyway Congratulations!!!!

I think the results are out on December 8th (or 12th) and they never let u know how close it was
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Vijay Singh

Post by ajay »

Tiger Woods beat Vijay Singh for the Player of the Year award. Probably Vijay can win only if he beat Woods and others comprehensively. A close race may always go agains him (with his reputation with media)
kathiresan_v

Vijay Singh

Post by kathiresan_v »

This hurts....

Anyway....y2004 is ahead with our Arjn & Daniel just made the big stage.

Go Vijay....

Kathir
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Vijay Singh

Post by BSharma »

I am sorry to see Vijay lose the Player of the Year award. I agree with Ajay that Vijay had to win more titles than Tiger to win in a close race. The media does not like Vijay but I think that he is respected by his peers who had to vote for the POY award. May be Vijay can win the POY award and Daniel or Arjun can win the Rookie of the Year award in 2004!
PKBasu

Vijay Singh

Post by PKBasu »

Sad that Vijay didn't get the PoY, although of course nobody can take away his money title for 2003. Next year, though, Indians of varying degrees of association with the homeland should be blazing a terrific trail on the tour.
Here's rediff's story on Player of the Year:
http://in.rediff.com/sports/2003/dec/09woods.htm
nkoth

Vijay Singh

Post by nkoth »

BSharma wrote:The media does not like Vijay but I think that he is respected by his peers who had to vote for the POY award.
Is he really respected by his peers? It seems that Tiger and he haven't gotten along for some time, and I'm sure Vijay's remarks about women golfers didn't earn him any praise from his colleagues (um, actually maybe it did from the Augusta folk... hmph)
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Vijay Singh

Post by BSharma »

Neil, it is nice to see you venture into the golf forum once in a while. May be, I have to write more controversial statements to get you fuming and then posting comments often. :D

When I wrote that Vijay is respected by his peers, it was based on comments made by several golfers in various golf magazines or at golf web sites. Golfers respect Vijay for his total dedication to the game, his practice schedule, his no-nonsense approach to the game, and his candidness. The last quality has gotten him into trouble with the press more often than not. When Vijay said that Annika should not play in the PGA this year, many professional golfers agreed with him but were afraid to say it publically. Vijay however, got into further trouble for back pedalling on the issue. I happen to not share his views about women playing in the PGA.

Many top players in several sports do not like each other for various reasons. So Tiger and Vijay having a mutual dislike is not new.

The media hates Vijay; many professional golfers do respect him as a golfer.