Daniel Chopra

All posts regarding specific golfers and golfer threads are in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

ajay
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Daniel Chopra thread

Post by ajay »

Daniel Chopra is in the front page of PGAtour.com. This is what is written about him.
TOUR Insider: Frys.com Open
He's getting hot at just the right time. With a tie for third at the Valero Texas Open, Daniel Chopra moved off the top-125 bubble to No. 97 on the money list. Because of that and his history in Vegas, the TOUR Insider likes Chopra this week.
Looks like TOUR Insider saw my writing in the Sport-India.com and summarized it :)
This is what I wrote yesterday
This result came at the right time as Dan was 124 in the money list before this tournament.  Note that only first 125 retain their card for next year. He reversed his bad form of late with a bang. Now with this performance, Daniel has jumped to 97th position in the money list and with a paycheck of $261,000 his earning has reached near 1 million for the year ($922344 to be exact)

Next week both Arjun and Daniel play Frys.com open. Remember that Dan came close to winning this tournament as he played in the last group on final day and lost to Matteson just by one stroke. With a strong result behind him this week, and good memories of last year, expect another good performance by Daniel next week.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

arjun2761 wrote: Superb T-3 by Daniel!  His 261 K payday is one of his best ever and also moves him to 97th in the money standings -- guaranteeing him his full card for next year.
His $261K has to be his 2nd best. Daniel's best performance came last year when he finished in a 2-way tie for 2nd spot in Frys.com open and earned $352K.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Congratulations Daniel for you superb win! It was a long wait but the result was more sweet.

Report on Daniel's first victory
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. (AP) -- Daniel Chopra tapped in for par, then pumped his right fist into the air.

Daniel Chopra is finally a winner on the PGA TOUR. (Benc/WireImage)Finally, victory was his.

Chopra re-claimed the lead with a birdie at the par-5 16th hole Monday morning and held on to win the oft-delayed Ginn sur Mer Classic, edging Fredrik Jacobsen and Shigeki Mauryama by one shot for his first PGA TOUR triumph.

Chopra finished at 19 under, becoming the 12th first-time winner on TOUR this season.

The win came in Chopra's 133rd career start, and the $810,000 winner's check pushed his career earnings to just shy of $5 million. He saw a four-shot lead over his nearest pursuers evaporate as darkness fell on Tesoro Club Sunday night, then returned in the morning and coolly finished off the long-awaited win.

Chopra, Maruyama and Jacobsen all entered the morning 18 under, with Chopra having three holes left to play and the others with two. That figured to give Chopra a big edge, since his first hole of Monday was the par-5 16th, the easiest on the course this week and one he'd already made birdie on three times.

Make it four.

Chopra's 10-footer for birdie -- after missing the fairway off the tee -- gave him a one-shot lead, after Maruyama and Jacobsen both missed the green and scrambled for par at the par-3 17th.

Chopra didn't find 17 easy, either. He hit the green, albeit 55 feet from the hole, and made a 4-footer to save par and maintain the lead. And at the 18th, needing par to win, his drive found a bunker, but his second shot stopped 25 feet from the hole to set up the title-clinching two-putt.
arjun2761

Re: Daniel Chopra wins Ginn sur Mer Classic

Post by arjun2761 »

Wow!  Phenomenal acheivement for someone whose talent was obvious but whose perseverence was finally rewarded.  Hopefully, he will use this as a springboard to win a few more!!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Congratulations, Daniel Chopra! This was always on the cards, but he had a few near-misses over the last two years. The first PGA tour title is richly deserved and very well earned!!!
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Chopra captures first US win in delayed Ginn Classic
Chopra lands first Tour win

Here are quotes from both links
PORT ST. LUCIE, United States (AFP) — Sweden's Daniel Chopra collected his first USPGA Tour victory on Monday, outlasting compatriot Fredrik Jacobson and Japan's Shigeki Maruyama to the Ginn Classic by one stroke.

Chopra, 33, completed a two-under par 71 in the delayed final round to finish with an overall score of 19-under 273 in the 4.5 million-dollar tournament.
"Last night I fell asleep just like a baby," Chopra told reporters after becoming the fifth Swede to triumph on the PGA Tour, emulating Gabriel Hjertstedt, Jesper Parnevik, Carl Pettersson and Henrik Stenson.

"I thought I'd have a hard time sleeping. Then from probably 12:30, I was wide awake and until 3:00 in the morning, I was tossing and turning.
"I was wound up pretty tight last night," Chopra said. "I came up this morning after a good night's sleep and I mentioned to my wife, 'Wow, it's amazing how much more relaxed I feel today.'

"I kind of let it all kind of sink in and put it into perspective. I thought, 'What is the absolute worst that can happen? I'll finish third, which is one (heck) of a great tournament.' I would have taken it in the beginning of the week."

Chopra led by as many as four strokes on Sunday, but fell into a three-way tie with Jacobson and Maruyama before darkness halted play.

He regained at his first hole on Monday morning with a birdie at the par-five 16th.

That put him one shot up on Jacobson and Maruyama, who started the day on 17. That was enough to give Chopra his first win in 133 US starts as all three parred the last two holes.

"It's amazing. It is something that I've dreamed about for a long time," Chopra said. "I mentioned earlier when I was playing in Europe, I would sit on the couch every evening when I was home, and I'd watch the telecast.

"I'd watch the leaderboards with the red numbers, and the players, wishing that maybe one day I'd have my name on one of those leaderboards."
"It is something I've dreamed about for a long time," said the globe-trotting Chopra, who moved to India aged seven to be raised by his grandparents.

"It's not meant to be easy. I just didn't realise it was going to be that tough," he added with a smile.

"I guess once you win five or six, then it becomes easier. But the first ones are hard and it's meant to be that way because that's the way you get to enjoy it more and treasure it."

Born to a Swedish mother and Indian father, Chopra celebrates both sides of his ancestry.

"I'm equally proud of both," he said. "I consider myself half and half. I feel maybe more Swedish when I'm in Sweden and more Indian when I'm in India.

"I love both cultures and I grew up in India, so maybe my thinking might be a little bit more Indian. But I'm very proud of the fact that I have two great nationalities that follow me and are behind me and support me."
Last edited by ajay on Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Win makes Chopra a surprise Ryder Cup candidate
Swedish golfer Daniel Chopra achieved his first US Tour victory today - and with it became a surprise contender for Europe's Ryder Cup team.

The Florida-based 33-year-old has not played a tournament in Europe since missing the halfway cut at the 2005 Open championship at St Andrews, but because he is an affiliate member of the European Tour, he does qualify for cup points.

Winning the Ginn sur Mer Classic after it spilled into an extra day puts Chopra eighth on the World Points list, from which the first five places in Nick Faldo's side will come.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Wonderful interviews. I love the fact that he emphasizes so often that he grew up in India (from the age of 8 to 18) and learnt all his golf there. He is wonderfully honest in saying that he thinks of himself as precisely half Indian and half Swedish, that his thinking is probably more Indian as he grew up there, but that the heartstrings also pull for Sweden because he was born there.
As a golfer, it is clear that India is where Daniel Chopra learnt his craft and began his career. I didn't know that he played the Indian circuit for several years before going to Malaysia, the APGA and then Europe. I remember reading his name on the leaderboard of EPGA tournaments in the 1990s; that's the first time I came across him (I suppose I was in the US when he first started playing the Indian tour; in India, Gaurav Ghei had made a big splash as a teenager, and then Jeev Milkha Singh came along with his successes on the EPGA -- and then Arjun and Jyoti with their APGA titles and EPGA/APGA co-sponsored titles; somehow, Daniel's strong Indian roots were something I only discovered through our very own Sports-India).

I am irritated to find that Rediff has still not picked up this story yet. The first PGA tour title for an Indian player (Ok, half-Indian, but one who grew up in India and learnt his golf in India, and is therefore a pure product of Indian golf) is huge news for Indian golf. I hope this is properly covered as a seminal event by the Indian newspapers tomorrow morning.

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Thanks Ajay for sharing so many links.

If he grab Ryder Cup entry then that would be another (big) feather in Daniel's cap ... But right now he deserve this moment to enjoy fully.

I hope with Ajay's help we will get chance of chat session with Dan after end of this season.
"Coming from India, growing up there, having to fly overseas just to buy golf balls because you couldn't buy them in India at the time, to think I could come from there to being a winner on the PGA Tour, it's pretty special," said the Swedish-born Chopra, who moved to India when he was 7 and raised by his grandparents.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

The Telegraph did not cover the story this morning, albeit using a generic story rather than writing its own:

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1071030/a ... 489560.asp

The Hindu, for instance, missed the story...
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Daniel is rightfully getting recognized for being a PGA winner. Here is an article with his quotes for this week tournament in Hong Kong, before he moves to Australia and NewZealand.

Chopra climbing ladder to success
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

The wonder-kid from Delhi

Post by ajay »

Another article on Daniel Chopra.

The wonder-kid from Delhi
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Daniel Chopra is off to Australia to conquer some unchartered territory.  Man, can he ever give his golf clubs some rest?  :wink: :D
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

MasterCard Masters - third round:

Daniel Chopra is the leader after third round in Melbourne, Australia after shooting rounds of 69, 70 and 65 and has a one stroke lead over two players tied for second place.